Sign in to follow this  
kingpinup

introduction and wanting some advice

kingpinup

YO YO YO!

So I've been watching the posts for a week now... that's a life time in my terms... let me explain why...

My name is Christian. I was born in Minnesota USA, raised in South Dakota USA, went to college in Las Vegas Nevada USA, and have been working on cruise ships for the last two years... I've been to every continent, including Antartica... I'm 25 years old... it's been a great job with a six-figure salary (with no bills)... I am, in essence, if boiled down to it, in the simplest terms, a salesman... I don't like that dirty word though, but I sell Picassos, Rembrandts, Dalis, Miros, Renoirs, Cezannes, etc.. on cruise ships... that sounds like a weird thing, but I sell about $250,000 worth of artwork every single week... anyways, I've spent my career doing the opposite of everyone else, I'm not flashy, I sell my knowledge and understanding of the product far better than being a salesman with flashy suits, watches, etc.. but that doesn't mean I haven't built an appreciation for the finer things... so it's finally time to get some really expensive (looking) watches.. :)

Also, the ship I'm on is $7000 base price, $30000 dollars top price, for a 7 day cruise, I've seen half million dollar watches on wrists, 2 million dollar rings on hands, on a weekly basis for 5 months... I want to have something that shows class and elegance with my collectors and of course shows more success than the shitty watch I've had for ages... I've saved my money to put it towards a house, etc, but now I need a good watch to suit... I was prepared to spend a few grand on a nice watch, but unfortunately I'm like a kid in a candy shop so I can never make my mind up and decided I'd rather get a handful of watches, and even the best reps/gens for a price that's reasonable... I want to have a tourbillon on my wrist and appreciate it's amazing qualities and be hypnotized by it every day without spending $250,000... so sue me ;) I'm starting to fall in love with watches and I'm loving it...

So let me continue to explain a bit further...

Internet on ships is 10 cents a minute... i.e. with a girlfriend on a different ship, I spend about $20 dollars a day just checking the internet... to make it worse, most sites, even including this one are blocked by the ships internet access... so I can only check this website by getting off the ship, finding wireless (usually shitty) and enjoying a pressured few hours of internet... not that I'm complaining... but everything has some downsides...

I'm in Alaska right now so it's not all bad, I can tether my iPhone 4 with decent speeds, which is unusual because I'm rarely in American ports...

Anyways, I want to start out, I have $1000-$2000 dollars to spend, I want to get a few watches...

I've been speaking with Mary, and she's been helping me find the right timepieces for me...

Here's what I've liked and what I've asked for... you guys tell me if I'm starting in the right region...

Before I begin, I'm including the Jaeger Lecoutre that clearly doesn't describe my position well, but I've fallen in love with it...

Here is my goal, I want to find a few watches that show that I've had success as an art dealer, earn six-figures and shows watches that are between $5k-$20k... because those ARE actually reasonable watches in my job and in my price range... so I don't want watches that COULD be $5000 bucks... i.e. big name brands usually have cheap watches and expensive watches.. you can get a shit watch with armani/gucci/blah blah blah written on it for 500 bucks... I want something like a Corum - when you see a Corum, you know you can't touch one for under $5000... or a Breitling that you know you cant touch for under $3500... (on that note, I typically despise Breitling, but I think it's a necessary evil for my company, again, it reeks of success and everyone has at least one right?) but I would rather go for the watch that takes a bit more of a connoisseur... I like the Panerais.... understated elegance for under 5k... not flashy, it just says, 'yes, I have been successful but I'm not here to flaunt my shit.' Also, a big part is because I don't trust myself with things this expensive.. I'm young and careless, I just left my 2k 17" macbook sitting in a random room on the ship for two days because I forgot about it.. I was really lucky it didn't get stolen.. someone recently stole my Mont Blanc because I stupidly left it on my desk, my OTHER macbook got stolen off of my last ship.. I can't have NICE things!!

So anyways, here are the watches I've discussed with Mary -- I would like feedback, advice, suggestions, anything of that nature to help me make good buying decisions...

A Panerai Luminor black face with black leather band

A Breitling Navitimer black face and metal band

A Corum Golden Bridge (although I haven't seen any decent reps, and I would only buy it if I thought it was a decent rep) preferrably silver face with black leather band -- I've spoken with David543 about this, and I still and already understand, that this is the best rep on the market, and I don't expect someone else to find a better one than the ones I've sen on this board any time soon, so I'll just be happy to have it... this watch is the watch that made me start falling in love with watches... I'm still very tempted to buy it for 13k, but I definitely don't trust myself with a watch of this caliber...

A Jaeger LeCoutre EXACTLY like this http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...urbillon+review

So what do you guys think? Good starting place? I need some suit watches with understated elegance that scream 5-20k... give me your advice... as I grow and get more experienced, I'm refining my taste, but I would love advice...

Anyways, cheers guys, I look forward to learning and growing!

Best,

Christian

flottiglia

I wouldn't say Panerai and Breitling screamed understatement personally.The classic watch for the wealthy and understated would be a Patek Philippe in my view.You wouldnt see Prince Charles wearing a Pam he wears a very simple Patek.

Welcome to the forum btw !

Edited by flottiglia

Member X

That's certainly an ingteresting situation you're in!

For the PAM, you need a 005K - simple, understated, closed caseback so they can't see the movement if you hand it to someone to look at.

The JLC is a fantasy, iirc, but a good looker. If you're around people who 'know' watches, think carefully about a fantasy watch, although with a proper tourbillon I very much doubt anyone would call you out on it.

For good breitlings, scour the boards for a secondhand superocean heritage v2 (SOH v2) (or two - one black, one blue) - stick it on gen mesh for an extra $500 or so, no-one would ever call you out.

If you want to be super-flashy, possibly the new AP ROO Divers with correct square date cyclops - $20k+ in the gen and pretty damn close as a rep.

The Bridge I wouldn't bother with, nothing decent rep-wise.

Luthier

Six figures salary... and you're looking for a replica?

:)

Welcome to the forum!

Member X

;)

Welcome to the forum!

A man after your own heart, eh, Luth :rofl::) lol

tyrantblade

:)

Welcome to the forum!

Some people just don't like spending a lot of money O.o

2point

Hmmm.

Given your job and how much you rely on your reputation and trust, is it really worth risking all that over $5k?

If caught wearing a rep instant doubt could be attached to you and your name. ie if you are willing to drape yourself with a rep would you be happy to sell a rep art piece.

IMO you should stick to a single quality gen piece.

For the record I work in banking, for an American investment bank. I don't have any contact with investors or other banks so have no worries about tarninshing my reputation or the reputation of my employer.

schmooze

First post.

What you really need is help and advice in learning to make a calculated decision. You have this forum and the numerous threads, communicated with one on the most trusted and nicest dealers here and still can't choose a watch.

There's a thread here that's easy to find about super reps. In the time it took you to write your first post you could have researched a list of your first 10 watches on authorised sites.

Fiddo

Hello! :)

Welcome!

I would go with a Panerai. The 005K is quite nice.. simple, clean look.

Member X
Hmmm.

Given your job and how much you rely on your reputation and trust, is it really worth risking all that over $5k?

If caught wearing a rep instant doubt could be attached to you and your name. ie if you are willing to drape yourself with a rep would you be happy to sell a rep art piece.

IMO you should stick to a single quality gen piece.

For the record I work in banking, for an American investment bank. I don't have any contact with investors or other banks so have no worries about tarninshing my reputation or the reputation of my employer.

These are good points.

mspangl

A tourbillon is a very unique watch..

I've been digging that JLC and other JLC's alot lately! ... Pretty much liked how you took the time to tell us something about you.. What you do for living, etc

Try to get a Panerai 005k.. Imo one of the best Panerai reps available (out of the box)

Welcome to RWG

Bato

I am on board on the 005k H-factory Pam, however those are on back order- till about end of the month, beginning next month.

Now thinking about what you just said, my 'Grail' watch came into mind and you might want to try that:

Get hold of Concepta or ask a VIP on how to get hold of Concepta to source you a Genestein IWC 3714 Porto. VIP's might be willing to sell you theirs. In my eyes, I think this watch would suit you perfectly since In my humble opinion the watch screams elegance, refinement and luxury. It is 'art' piece in itself and since its a 'Franken' it would be hard to call you out on it.

Oh I forgot about pic's duh- here you go: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=46603

However, if I was making the kind of money you are making, I would seriously just one single GEN- pref. a GEN IWC 3714 (Used this watch will cost you about 6, with certain limited editions running close to 10-15k) hahahahahah.

GL to you and your search and I hope you find what you need.

Edited by Bato

Member X

Genius, I had forgotten about the genensteins! :lol:

If the OP is that clumsy/forgetful, though, I might even suggest sticking to something discreet and gen and not too expensive to replace, like a Tissot auto! lol

kingpinup

This is all very good advice... a good discussion...

To make this known, I have no intent, by putting a JLC rep on my wrist, to try and get people to trust me further or display that level of success... I think anyone would know that a JLC on a 25-year-old's wrist would know it's probably not the real deal... I would have no qualms about admitting to a big collector, that 'yeah, this is just a beautiful replica of my dream watch.' I think it's more to be able to a) continue my refinement, growth, and appreciation for a fine watch and :lol: show that yes, I have an understanding of the finer things in life, wine, watches, suits, etc... I think every man should at least be able to have the basic understandings to be a well rounded, successful person... c) start a good discussion on the finer things... I think even my collectors who have JLC's on their wrists (last cruise I was with one of my collectors as he pulled out his black card to buy 100k JLC in Juneau, Alaska... and then he proceeded to spend another 100k with me... the previous cruise a guy bought 100k Rembrandt that was formerly number 3 for GE with some 50,000 employees beneath him... he gave it up after their were TWO kidnapping attempts on his children's lives... I think he would have an appreciation that a young guy also has an appreciation for a truly well built watch.

That being said, yes schmooze... it's my first post... I might sound pretty green... I gave way more information than needed... and NO even if I wanted to spend my life trolling message boards, I couldn't with my internet blocking this site amongst others and sattleite internet in the middle of the ocean being 10c a minute for dial-up speed internet... anyways --- big deal... I gave a lot of information so you guys can give INFORMED advice... like anything in life, an uninformed decision is a bad decision... I contacted Mary already because I DO know what I want, but that of course also means, I know what I want with my limited knowledge, and am loooking to you experts for your advice and insight... yes, that's you schmooze with all 41 of your expert posts

and finally, yes i have a very nice job, i travel the world, sell art, have no bills, and my collectors typically see me for one week and if we build a good relationship we will then keep in touch, but for the most part, I meet people for one week total, they collect from me and then leave to never be seen again... so 2point, I 2 will point out that I am someone who doesn't tarnish my reputation, or my companies by throwing on a sweet JLC rep... see what i did there 2?

And also, yes, I AM 25... keep that in mind... I think that most of you guys are probably older, when you were 25 do you think it would've been a better idea to spend 5 grand on a watch or a house? I have no problem spending a few grand... but it's a really tough decision --- i feel like on watches over 10k.. they are actually something that can accrue value, or at the very least, many limited edition collectors watches could continue to hold their value; whereas under 10k watches, it's something that will probably lose value... at with my past history of losing things... I am hard pressed to collect something of that value until I know I will truly appreciate it and take care of it in the way it deserves

I do though think that a gen Panerai or IWC is soon to be in my future... a good rep for the mean time will get my feet wet....

it's like in art... people can by an unsigned picasso etching for 5k... a signed picasso etching for 50k... and a painting for 1 million+ and I would suggest this advice to anyone ---> t start at the base level, 5k... get your feet wet... see if you fall in love and then you can buy that million+ painting... (that's of course assuming they don't want to buy that million dollar painting from me :P )

kingpinup
I wouldn't say Panerai and Breitling screamed understatement personally.The classic watch for the wealthy and understated would be a Patek Philippe in my view.You wouldnt see Prince Charles wearing a Pam he wears a very simple Patek.

Welcome to the forum btw !

I totally agree with you here.. they're just kind of like a 'everyone has one' in my industry... imho i don't really like the breitlings.. but i guess you just gotta have one :lol:

kingpinup

i dig that soh v2...

and yeh, i might scrap the bridge... the rep is total crap, but it's only 100-ish bucks.. so i dunno.. might as well pick one up too.. i'm in the buying mood :P

and as for the ap roo diver... i'd rather have someone strap a brick around my arm for 15k :lol: hahaha

Edited by kingpinup

schmooze

it's hardly trolling, hit the search button.

Are you any closer in choosing a suitable rep?

I been in the sales game for a long time and these days I have sales people trying to sell me high end products day in, day out. I often see these sales people coming in with nice gens or great reps but their personal grooming is shite and their suits are ill fitting.

You NEVER get a second chance to make a first impression.

A tailor made or absolute perfect fitting suit and impeccable grooming will get you further than a rep watch. If you're only 25, you need to get things into perspective. These top tier people you're dealing with didn't get to the top with just sheer luck.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=5502

Luthier
. . .the rep is total crap, but it's only 100-ish bucks..

Oh, really...? First - most of our hi-class reps would fool even autorized dealer, not just a noob like you.

Second - if it's total crap, what'da hell you're doing on replica forum?

And third... if you're mostly in the sea, to where Mary will ship your "crap"?

;)

Just thoughts...

:facepalm:

Jetmid?????????????

:rofl:

opus9

Hiya Christian,

I too sold art on the cruise ships...on Holland America. I sold shed loads, as a Brit on an American vessel I found it rather easy, especially as I love art and sculpture ...unlike you however the company i worked for never paid me. I broke the company sales record at the time in my first 4 weeks....they kept me on board for 6 months...and never got a dime!!

Glad your part of the community,enjoy m8.

my Golden Bridge from Robert

SAM_0062.jpg

regards

opus9

dingle

Jetmid....part deuce

:popcorn:

;)

welcome to the nuthouse :)

kingpinup
Hiya Christian,

I too sold art on the cruise ships...on Holland America. I sold shed loads, as a Brit on an American vessel I found it rather easy, especially as I love art and sculpture ...unlike you however the company i worked for never paid me. I broke the company sales record at the time in my first 4 weeks....they kept me on board for 6 months...and never got a dime!!

Glad your part of the community,enjoy m8.

my Golden Bridge from Robert

SAM_0062.jpg

No way! welcome fellow art auction brethren! :) so wait... did you work for british america fine arts? yeah they didn't pay people shit and have gone bankrupt like 4 times now... bummer :(

either way, cool... it's a small world sometimes i guess

oh yes, by the way, thanks for all the responses all.. as i said in the intro post, i haven't been able to access the site in about 5 days haahah

regards

opus9

powderfreak

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

Interesting post and cool to read. Well, you already got some very good suggestions, but if I were in your place, I would buy one or two gens. They don't really have to be super expensive, but how about a Omega Speedmaster? It is very well known even among non-collectors and it's affordable with your income.

When at work, I would stick to that gen or maybe one or two other "super-reps". IMHO having an expensive and fancy watch like a JLC, Patek or Breguet is not what I would want to see on your wrist.... but then again, it's your choice and you need to be happy with it. No matter what you do, keep us updated :(

Rav747

holy shit! after the first paragraph i just went to youporn. seesh!!

jeffw69

They have gay/tranny shit there? :lol:

Realism

They have gay/tranny shit there? :lol:

they have anything your heart desires