Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

[UPDATED] Asian ETA Clone problem

Stormcrow

Dear all,

I have been very happy with my Rolex purchase for over three months now. But now I have a problem...

There is a horrible rattling noise coming from the watch - something is wrong!

The watch doesn't sound like its winding anymore when being worn on my arm... however it does still seem to wind through the crown.

Any advice? What should I do?

Can I attempt repair myself? I would really like to wear the watch at an incoming event so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Stormcrow

flottiglia

Sounds like the rotor has dropped off or is loose and catching the case back.If you can get the back off its an easy fix so long as the screw hasn't fallen into the movement somewhere.

You should be able to get the back open with a soft piece of rubber or a ball of gaffa tape if you don't have the correct case opener.

Stormcrow
Sounds like the rotor has dropped off or is loose and catching the case back.If you can get the back off its an easy fix so long as the screw hasn't fallen into the movement somewhere.

You should be able to get the back open with a soft piece of rubber or a ball of gaffa tape if you don't have the correct case opener.

Thank you flottiglia

Member X

It sounds like mine went before it broke! in which case flottiglia is right, it's probably a loose rotor.

I would stop wearing the watch and hack the movement (pull the crown out to the time setting position so the movement stops) so nothing loose gets tangled up in important moveing parts. Then get the back off (over a light colour towel so nothing falling out can bounce anywhere and get lost) and you should be able to see if anything is loose. Hopefully just the rotor screw is loose and needs tightening up!

Stormcrow

It's not looking good... after removing the back case, and being careful not to let anything drop... I can see the following: (something appears to be loose - in fact totally off!)

rrh6N.jpg

kQnqC.jpg

0fy53.jpg

Edit: I found this thread, but not quite sure what a rotor assembly is, or how to remove one?

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/9718-help-th...ta-explorer-ii/

Edited by Stormcrow

JohnG

Mmmmmmmm......... interesting. Someone will know what to do - but its not the screw. You will have to remove the screw, remove the center wheel/bearing, I imagine that is supposed to be pressed onto the rotor....

flottiglia
Mmmmmmmm......... interesting. Someone will know what to do - but its not the screw. You will have to remove the screw, remove the center wheel/bearing, I imagine that is supposed to be pressed onto the rotor....

Yes Johns right.The gear and the roller bearing should could off with the rotor and the screw holds the whole assembly in place.The rotor (the loose bit) should be a tight interference fit onto the bit thats left attached to the movement basically.Has it had a shock of some sort,never seen one drop off like that.

Member X

Blimey!

Am I right in thinking a fix would be to unscrew the centre screw, remove the assembly, press the rotor back onto the assembly between two flat, solid items, and then refit?

prestigewatchco

Yes basically X not a difficult fix at all. Just remember the key is even pressure most likely was not 100% correct from factory thats why it seperated

Wiz

Be carefull when re-pressing the bearing and the rotor together. The assembly must be perfectly flat or the rotor might not work properly. You should use a press for that kind of job.

flottiglia

Yes it shouldn't be too bad to do.I'd rather have this problem than the screw having fallen out and disappeared into the movement tbh.

MikeMcNair

happened to me a million times. get a chapstick tube, use the cap end, and press the rotor on VERY FLAT AND EVEN, rotate it to make sure it does not rub anywhere AT ALL, and you are good to go.

it really is a 5 second fix.