Sign in to follow this  
enzox

My Eco-Drives

enzox

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Citizen's Eco-Drive line, for those who aren't here's a look at four I own and why I consider them true marvels of technology and workhorses. B)

5858567997_34bd3849c7_o.jpg

Not a good photographer so here's the "I tried the flash" view.

5859122020_014cdbb6c8_o.jpg

5858575711_1a2a3504e4_o.jpg

Below I'll explain each one's features.:D

Waipio Jeff

I respect the technology but for the most parts those dials are just too busy for me.

enzox

We'll start with the most simple;

Citizen Eco-Drive H500 k006937 Titanium Chronograph. (out of production)

5859134544_25eb234956_o.jpg

5858581863_8df33cc6d1_o.jpg

The technology starts here with Eco-Drive, which is a quartz movement using light to keep a power cell continuously charged. A few hours in full sun will keep these watches working for 7 months. When the cell gets low, the second hand begins moving at two second intervals so you know it's time to charge- that only happens if you keep it in a drawer for several months~!

I use this particular model as a "daily rider" on hot summer days on the subways of NYC. It's titanium, all of it (except the fabric of the band) so it's incredibly light and never gets sweaty. It has 24hr time and a chronograph. I also use it snorkeling.

It cost me US$180 five years ago and boy has it earned its keep. I've taken this watch on grueling hikes, through the world's metros and into coral reefs and never had a problem with it.

enzox

Citizen Chrono-Time AT H610 (BY0010-52E)

I fly often (passenger) to different time zones and that's why this watch rocks!

5859131758_81385abe4c_o.jpg

5858579103_76fecdee0b_o.jpg

This guy has the Eco-Drive but it also has the AT, which is atomic time. During the early morning darkness (optimal for radio signals, no solar interference) no matter where you are it will automatically attempt to receive radio contact with the closest atomic clock (USA, EUR, CHN, JPN) to reset and make sure the watch is keeping time to within one second per one million years. And it works quite well. When you wake up you simply press the button to see if it received, it will even let you know how strong the signal is (NO, RX, H, M, L)

But the real gem on this guy, and why I always take it on long travels is the perpetual calendar combined with the "instant time change". Say you just got on a flight to London from NYC, you're there for a few hours and then you get on a flight to Sydney via Dubai. That's a lot of messing around to make sure you have the right time in each place you are. This bad boy knows everything including daylight savings time etc for all the cities so all you have to do is pull out the crown and turn it to the city you're in or going to. In beautiful, graceful sweeps it resets itself! Truly a marvel of modern quartz watch engineering.

it also works for small plane pilots as you can see it helps calculate fuel consumption, etc.

enzox

Now for my favorite, Citizen Skyhawk US500 (JY0000-53E). I've got this on a modified Speedmaster band.

5858585613_77c9264ab7_o.jpg

5858582553_6e99016b21_o.jpg

This guy has Eco-Drive and AT and world time (the photos are showing both NYC but you can show another time zone and date in the right digital panel). By pressing two buttons at the same time you can switch the digital time zone with the analog.

But this sucker also has two alarms, a stopwatch, a chronograph, an altimeter and an ambient temp gauge all wrapped up in a very nice SS/PVD package that is incredibly durable. Like all these watches it is water resistant to 200M.

It took a few weeks of frustration to learn how to use all the functions but after several years it's second nature. And I love it! :D

schmooze

Very interesting. It's a pity half the idiots that try to sell them know nothing more than, "they don't need batteries" hence why i've never purchased one.

next time I need a smart watch, it will definitely be a Citizen.

By the way , I started a thread about a smooth sweeping quartz movement that accurate within a few seconds per year. The movements are used in Bulova Watches which are owned by Citizen. Robert has a few reps that have a similar type smooth quartz movement. Smooth being smoother than 28,600vpm

There's some very manipulative marketing going on at Rolex. Why bother with a mechanical movement when a smooth quartz, accurate within a few seconds a year is available.

enzox

Finally, the Citizen 20th Anniversary Aqualand. Let me assure you I didn't buy this watch for its looks, I bought it for SCUBA diving and for that it is somewhat of a miracle!

5858577445_e90d1825f5_o.jpg

The face of the watch is showing time and power reserve, to show what it really does I would need an underwater camera!

5859133808_357534c942_o.jpg

above we see the depth gauge....

5859133182_28f212855e_o.jpg

above we see the helium release valve....

below is not my photo;

IMG_00770001.jpg

It's all in SS/PVD even though it may appear plastic. It's available in all black but I bought it in orange for safety-since I actually use it to dive. When you take it into the water it knows and changes modes, it will then automatically record your dive depths/temps and let you know when your tank is running out by the parameters you enter into it. It's an incredibly complicated little piece of engineering and built like a tank. It will save twenty dives before needing to be reset.

For all this, I thank you Citizen Watch Co! :D

KeNnY

I like the last one, thanks for your great review, I am happy for you that you are happy with them :D

jameo210369

I like Citizen watches, being accurate within a few seconds a year is not important to me but I like the look of some of them.

Check this bad boy out

unledgtv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Del

Very nice Eco-drives! I also think the technology is superb in these - that's what attracted me to the one I have:-

(Titanium, chrono, alarm, dual time & perpetual calendar! :rolleyes:)

p3205577v2.jpg

edwelly

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

houndoggie

here is mine, I love it:

IMG_9739.jpg

mulder
citizen2.jpg

Drhulee
Very nice Eco-drives! I also think the technology is superb in these - that's what attracted me to the one I have:-

(Titanium, chrono, alarm, dual time & perpetual calendar! :))

p3205577v2.jpg

I've got the same one, except with Titanium bracelet (bought an aftermarket Brown gator for it though). But it never gets worn, as I keep going to my PAMs and now it just feels so tiny when I put it on :)

Kipper

Great watches guys - love the titanium stuff

Just launched recently some of my old promasters on the bay - feeling like maybe I should have kept hold now :D

powderfreak

The second one is incredibly sexy :) May I ask how much they are?

jackygor

I need the second one for traveling, it seems like an amazing watch.