Sign in to follow this  
mkinderm

IWC Pilot - sec hand blocked by mins hand

mkinderm

I just received an IWC Pilot from Lay.

When trying the chrono, i noticed the watch stops after 35 secs as the sec hand of the chrono gets blocked

behind the min hand.

This seems an easy fix to me.

What i assume is the following:

1. I need to open the back (i have tools for that)

2. I need to remove the crown (no clue how that works for an A7750)

3. I need to remove the movement (should not be too easy)

4. I need to bend the min hand a little (i have done that before on another watch and feel confortable about that)

Now my questions:

1. Am i right with my 4 steps, or should i do this from the front?

2. Is there an explanation how to remove the crown on an A7750?

Thx for all help.

Much appreciated.

Wiz

1. Ok

2. Be sure the crown is in regular position (not date or time setting position) and very gently press the stem release button to get the crown and stem off.

valjoux7750.jpg

3. The movement is fixed to the case with 2 tabs and screws. If there is a movement spacer, the movement might be fixed to the spacer, and the spacer fixed to the case. There might be 2 or 3 tabs and screws holding the spacer. When all the screws and tabs are removed, put something flat on the back of the watch (like a credit card) and put the case upside-down to allow the movement to come out.

4. The correct way to do that is to remove the hands and align them back. You shouldn't have to bend anything.

mkinderm
1. Ok

2. Be sure the crown is in regular position (not date or time setting position) and very gently press the stem release button to get the crown and stem off.

valjoux7750.jpg

3. The movement is fixed to the case with 2 tabs and screws. If there is a movement spacer, the movement might be fixed to the spacer, and the spacer fixed to the case. There might be 2 or 3 tabs and screws holding the spacer. When all the screws and tabs are removed, put something flat on the back of the watch (like a credit card) and put the case upside-down to allow the movement to come out.

4. The correct way to do that is to remove the hands and align them back. You shouldn't have to bend anything.

much appreciated answer

I buy you a drink as soon as we meet.

MikeMcNair

everything above is spot on.

to set the hands tho, you will need a hand seting tool or press. you can make this tho!!

find a good, thick, round toothpich that has a nice point on either end. then, chop offf the points at the THICKEST part of the pick. then, take a thumbtack and gently poke a hole in both ends, one deeper than the other, and therefore wider.

use the appropriate side to press the hands plat, and be sure to look closely at the movement from the side ensuring the hands are parrallel to the dial, and not touching.

also, i like to set the watch to 12:00, so all hands are facing up. it helps.

oh, and to get the hands off (if you dont have a hand puller, use a razor blade and gently pry them up while covering the work space with your hand as they shoot off, and protect the dial with a business card that has a "V" cut out of it :lol: )

mulder

Ahhh gotta love this forum. Nice work with the help gentlemen.

Dendo

Great help guys - great forum!!

mkinderm

so....

i opened the watch with my back opener (no problems)

removed the crown (with your help, no problems)

unscrew the movement (with your help no problems)

made sure the hands were aligned (little push with a tooth pick was sufficient, however

a very small part of the lume came off; the lume is so bad i will have to relume anyway)

reinstalled the movement (was not that easy as you cannot touch anything or you might make

a scratch)

moved the crown back (was harder than removing it)

i am checking everything now before i close it all

this is actually only the second time i open a watch and i am pretty proud i

got it so far in a successful way

thx very much

Wiz

Forgot to tell you: to put the crown/stem back in the movement, you need to "screw" it a little. You might damage something if you just "push" it.

To put the movement back in the watch, first put the whole thing dial up on the credit card you've used before, and then put the case on it (crystal up), and then keep the credit card in place while putting the watch upside-down.

About the lume, if you ware about the watch you might want to practice on other watches before trying to relume this one :kenny:

mkinderm
Forgot to tell you: to put the crown/stem back in the movement, you need to "screw" it a little. You might damage something if you just "push" it.

To put the movement back in the watch, first put the whole thing dial up on the credit card you've used before, and then put the case on it (crystal up), and then keep the credit card in place while putting the watch upside-down.

About the lume, if you ware about the watch you might want to practice on other watches before trying to relume this one :)

I found out that indeed you need to screw a little bit the crown and have it really straight before the watch

I wasn't planning to relume myself, I know my limitations :D DD looks to be the right person to do it.

Thx for the help

Much appreciated.

MikeMcNair
SKA ooks to be the right person to do it.

Thx for the help

Much appreciated.

fixed ^_^

Ska

Lol. Very kind of you mike. ^_^

The cheque's in the post mate. :)

Depends where on the planet you are, but Mike, DD, Wiz or I could all fix that lume for you.