Sign in to follow this  
NullMind

What to do .. One orginal or many replicas ?

NullMind

I been saving my penny's to buy a Jacobs & Co Epic 1 (real / ex display), I got the funds now to get it, but now I am all messed up as I am unsure if I buy it, or take the mone and buy a replica of it, plus a nice black rolex, a tag monaco and a breitling (replicas of course) of top quality (from Mary).. And still have 2/3 of the money left.

do I go for one glorious real one, or many glorious replicas ... Help !!

Edited by NullMind

houndoggie

get the reps.

Legger

Reps reps reps. Why have one watch that you could get bored of when you can have plenty that you'll still love and will be suitable for all occasions.

Member X

Definitely get the reps.

I don't think any Jacob watches could be seen as an investment, especially at the prices they sell for new - they are fashion watches (as I understand it :)) rather than a brand with a coveted image or history, like Rolex or similar, and I don't think they'll ever really climb in value

Much like most watches, I guess - watches are just jewellery, I wouldn't waste vast amounts of money on something that 99% of the population won't even notice!

Wear what you like and don't dress to maintain an image and keep others happy, but be down to earth - think what else that money can buy ;)

Del

Get the reps!

Next easy question? :)

Matlow

Kinda stupid question to ask on a rep forum :/ Jacobs sucks, spend all your money on Rolex Reps and wear them all at once, looks more 'fashionable' than a Jacobs & Co :)

SevenSevenFifty

REPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPS

REPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSREPSR

EPS

With today's technology, the more expensive reps look and feel like gens (for example, Mary's and BK's DSSD). Spend your money on other things..like a nice dinner/vacation with your gf/wife (assuming you're a guy).

When you get that Gen Jacob, you'll be wanting more and more watches, but then you'll realize you're broke! Just get the reps!!!

schmooze

Reps.

beware, it will become a habit.

jdthompson131216

I own a gen submariner. I own alot of replicas. I wear my replicas more than my gen. Trust me.... Replicas all the way. With the quality of reps on this forum from the trusted dealers you can't go wrong. I just got a sub from BK. It's so close to gen that it's crazy

Luthier

Fuck the gens, doesn't worth da money.

Buy the reps! And many, many!!!

T.S. Eliot, poet.

Nimitz

Mmm, so the gen is < 3000 dollar? Is this your first expensive watch? If you have more gens I would go rep, if it's the first gen you will buy then go gen! It just feels really nice to have a least one non-replica to wear. I have some nice reps, I like them all and wear them daily, but when I'm out on a special occasion I always wear my iwc portuguese rattrapante (even though it's not really my watch as I have it on a sort of permanent loan from my dad...), just makes that special occasion even more special!

Caliper

I'd have to say Gen, but a nice one not a Jacob & Co, is just a trend mark, they are not badwatches, but if you want that model, better get a rep, if you want a Gen go for something more timeless.

sjb

To me it is not difficult to answer this one.

If I could afford a gen Rolex I would buy it like a shot.

I have a lot of Gen watches,mostly inexpensive vintage,and 2 really nice vintage Omega's.Also a good few Seiko auto's,divers & 5'5.

I am however falrly new to reps only have a few,but they are only a bit of fun for me,a gen(Rolex) for example, would feel completely different for me.

Don't think I would buy a Jacob though,but thats personal taste.

Takken

If it's your first genuine watch you should go for a much cheaper gen. Perhaps a Seiko Premier...

Then use the remaining 2400$ taking your girl & your newly bought automatic on vacation

79df497e5b53998fea668de8.jpg

Edited by Takken

NullMind

Thanks, I just needed this positive reinforcement on the reps :mulderthesbkiller:

I was afraid I'd be cheating myself by going reps, but the are so many watches I love and never got due to price, reps it is

Member X

The added bonus with reps is that it doesn't matter so much if you drop them / smack them into a desk / lose them on a messy night out / get robbed - they're only a few hundred dollars at most, compared to the $$$$s that gens cost!

And if you waterproof the reps when they arrive, you can have confidence that they will survive a dunking :kenny:

solkryssare

We should all have at least one good gen. So get a Rolex......

ImWatchingYOU

Def go for reps, with the watch you are looking to buy. If you do want a gen, I would also go for Rolex, best value&resell value IMO

Member X

Hate the fact they overcharge for what they sell, but you can't deny Rolex has built up an amazing sales and residual values off good marketing!

greg_r

Yup. The major manufacturers (especially Rolex, but not exclusively) will at least hold a higher percentage of their value than something like a Jacob, which frankly isn't a terribly sound investment.

Buy yourself a few reps - and then if you still want a gen, go looking for a good quality used watch from one of the big names (Rolex, Panerai, Breitling etc). You'll get more for your dough.

tissotman

Rep all the way ive got several real watches mostly tissots prs512 prc 200s etc etc but i find i wear the reps more than any of them deep sea at the moment then planet ocean chrono but ive got several top quality reps some ive had for many years my seadweller ive had about 6 years and still going strong don't waste your money on a real watch get the rep of it and then get some more reps.

nunu78

REps....are the way to go :)

sjb
We should all have at least one good gen. So get a Rolex......

+ 1...I'm working on it!

Mystery Shopper

I was in this position a year ago and chose to go with reps. I have spent the money I saved for 1 gen and have bought a dozen reps that I love.

If lotto numbers come up tonight I would probably replace a few reps with gens but apart from that it is difficult to justify the money.

I am lucky that I have a couple of gens, some were my Grandpa's, I am a caretaker of them at present.

prestigewatchco

It's nice to have a Gen watch .

If you have the money now buy one.

You will always find it a lot easier to buy reps.

You may not be in this position again for some time.