Sign in to follow this  
Goon

PAM 183 running very fast

Goon

Hey guys,

I just received my first Panerai and I have a few issues that I wanted to clarify before I start throwing objects and kicking up a stink.

Issue one. It runs EXTREMELY fast. I'm talking about 5 seconds faster for every minute. For every hour it's ahead by 5 minutes, which is frightening to say the least. I don't have the tools or the mechanical knowledge to attempt to fix this. Due to the severity of the time gain, is this something that is within the spectrum of fixing by just adjusting the regulator?

Issue two. The crown is extremely hard to screw down. As this is a hand wound watch, it's going to need daily tuning and it appears that the crown does not want to thread and tie down and needs quite a bit of force. Anyone who owns this style crown knows it can be quite sharp! I've had no issues handwinding my Speedy..

Are these typical issues that a watch joint can fix up in a jiffy or am I better of chasing this up with the dealer? If anyone knows of a rep-friendly place in Sydney, please let me know!

Thanks dudes/dudettes!

On a side note.. Beautiful watch! I love the simplicity of it.

Edited by Goon

Aren
Hey guys,

I just received my first Panerai and I have a few issues that I wanted to clarify before I start throwing objects and kicking up a stink.

Issue one. It runs EXTREMELY fast. I'm talking about 5 seconds faster for every minute. For every hour it's ahead by 5 minutes, which is frightening to say the least. I don't have the tools or the mechanical knowledge to attempt to fix this. Due to the severity of the time gain, is this something that is within the spectrum of fixing by just adjusting the regulator?

Issue two. The crown is extremely hard to screw down. As this is a hand wound watch, it's going to need daily tuning and it appears that the crown does not want to thread and tie down and needs quite a bit of force. Anyone who owns this style crown knows it can be quite sharp! I've had no issues handwinding my Speedy..

Are these typical issues that a watch joint can fix up in a jiffy or am I better of chasing this up with the dealer? If anyone knows of a rep-friendly place in Sydney, please let me know!

Thanks dudes/dudettes!

On a side note.. Beautiful watch! I love the simplicity of it.

When you screw the crown down are you pushing it in as you screw?

PAM's are beautiful IMO.

Which PAM do you have?

Do you have some photos?

:(

Goon

Which PAM do you have?

It's a 138 aka Black Seal.

Yeah I'm pushing the crown down. It doesnt appear to "catch" the threads. The (trusted) dealer I bought it from is known to be quite meticilous with the inspection before sending the watches out so I'm surprised at this.

Aren

Which PAM do you have?

It's a 138 aka Black Seal.

Yeah I'm pushing the crown down. It doesnt appear to "catch" the threads. The (trusted) dealer I bought it from is known to be quite meticilous with the inspection before sending the watches out so I'm surprised at this.

The Blackseal (183) can screw down hard.

I push continuously as I screw mine.

When I first got mine (I have 2) I was concerned I would harm it.

The watches which are waterproof (and don't presume it is unless you have it tested) tend to screw down a bit hard.

It may just be that you are not use to it.

So, you can successfully screw it down, but it is just a bit hard, is that right?

If that is the case I wouldn't worry about it.

Be sure you are pushing it all the way in as you screw.

PAM's are great watches.

I don't have a clue about the speed issues you are having.

Perhaps wait for a few more knowledgeable and experienced replies here.

If you don't get some more information, then contact the dealer.

Lots of PAM addicts here.

I am sure you will get more replies.

:(

...and congrats on the new watch!

scope

A watch running that fast may have a mainspring that is sticking. When it sticks the revolution is shorter and speeds

up the contact to the pallet fork. If it is that new I would contact the dealer.

greg_r

Could be a sticky or tangled hairspring. Could also just be in need of a demag. Given that it's new, however, I'd have a quick word with the dealer before going any further.

Goon

Thank you all for your valued insights. I have been in contact with the dealer and was sent a video on how to adjust the timing, however it's all in a Mandarin, so obviously a barrier for me. Does anyone have a useful link they can share in regards to adjusting this movement (not sure on what it is actually called, which makes searching a bit difficult).

It's essensially this one (not from the actual dealer I bought it from, thanks to PureTime for supplying the image as a reference)

PAM183H-05_enl.JPG

I see the -/+ signs. What is the correct way to go about adjusting it? Just push the lever or do I have to do something to the little "arms" sticking out the from the central point?

It's getting a bit frustrating not being able to rock the new hotness!

sconehead

If I were you I'd get back in touch with the dealer mate. However, if you're willing to DIY you won't be able to regulate it as each + or - increment only adjusts by about 5 seconds a day...it's more than likely a hairspring issue as stated above. If you can remove the case back a fix I've used a few times now is to blow in the vicinity of the balance assembly using a dustblower. This will normally untangle the spring and if it works you'll notice that the frequency of the balance spinning will slow down.

Look at this vid, it will help you understand how your movement functions...

jameo210369

If it's running that fast Goon have you thought of entering it in the Olympics Ha ha only kidding mate.

As above, it sounds like you have a hairspring issue. If you are not confident of fixing the watch then tell the dealer to replace it.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Goon

Jameo and Sconehead were bang on the money. I removed the caseback and the hairspring looked a bit "warped". I gave the fittings a bit of a fiddle, adjusted the timing and things seem to be back to normal. First time I had opened a caseback of a mechanical watch so it was a bit unnerving to say the least, especially when the bloody gasket fell out and refused to seat back in neatly. But no problems, which makes me nervous as I have a tenancy to become too adventurous for my own good once I know that I can do something...

If I were you I'd get back in touch with the dealer mate. However, if you're willing to DIY you won't be able to regulate it as each + or - increment only adjusts by about 5 seconds a day...it's more than likely a hairspring issue as stated above. If you can remove the case back a fix I've used a few times now is to blow in the vicinity of the balance assembly using a dustblower. This will normally untangle the spring and if it works you'll notice that the frequency of the balance spinning will slow down.

Wow. thanks for that video mate, it really does help me to understand not only the intricate workings of the movement, but watches in general. Top post.

If it's running that fast Goon have you thought of entering it in the Olympics Ha ha only kidding mate.

As above, it sounds like you have a hairspring issue. If you are not confident of fixing the watch then tell the dealer to replace it.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

If I entered my watch in the Olympics, it would be a Chinese swimmer, thrown out for using performance enhancing drugs! Thanks for the suggestion.

dingle

+1

a babies snot sucker works great as well :lmao2:

sconehead
+1

a babies snot sucker works great as well :)

...I'd forgotten about that blast from the past...:lmao2:

Frankt8242

An easier fix I have heard of is to firmly slap the watch into your upturned palm 4 or 5 times...This will often serve to detangle the hair spring if it is hung up....

Sounds simplistic, I know, but I've heard several reliable reports of it working effectively!!!

I would try this first before opening it up!!....

But that's just my opinion....And I could be wrong......