okelhemin

Real question about Rolex

okelhemin

I’m sure this has been asked before, but reddit search sucks and google is no help either. I don’t even need a response here (although it would be appreciated), just point me to a link that can answer the question without sounding like a sales pitch.

Rolex’s cost a bunch of money. I’m genuinely curious if there is something outside status symbol/sentimental value/resale value that drives people towards a Rolex.

Let me phrase it a different way. My family never wore anything outside of high accuracy quartz or digital watches. I make more than enough to afford a Rolex and I love all things mechanical (all my spare money goes to working on cars...). I really want a mechanical watch but outside of “this watch is basically cash in every c router login ountry” I can’t find any reason to go buy a Rolex. I don’t know of any famous brand history (might be ignorance on my end). I’m more about cars than diving and (personally) a Rolex doesn’t seem any more m 192.168.0.1 echanically impressive than many other watches at half he price.

I’m not looking to start what is probably a pretty common argument. I’m not sitting here claiming a Seiko (don’t own one) is better and cheaper. I’m just genuinely curious if there is something I’m missing about the brand.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by okelhemin

Philiusmaximus

No

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

Ask 95% of people in the street "What's the best watch you can get?", and they'll say Rolex, because it's all they've ever heard of and brand marketing has ensured that they'll always stay that way. So yes, you've already listed what drives people to buying a Rolex, and added to the artificial scarcity that Rolex have created (they could quite easily knock out a lot more than they are) means that they hold their value a lot more. Personally, I don't care for them much. But there are so many more interesting and better-crafted watches out there. Just throw yourself down the rabbit hole, and you shall see....

paccbet

While I own a genuine one, there are much better options like Omega or Grand Seiko without the stupid waitlist 

• Like 2

deju

Buy what you like and be happy. 

ultimately, yes they are money in the bank. But they are extremely boring. (Own several Gens before some bitch gets their panties in a twist).

They are not Haute Horology or luxury watches. They are very well built (and marketed) Tool watches. 

Tudor push design where Rolex Don’t dare. Truly believe it’s made them stronger and stronger every year. Starting as a knock off in a cuboard at the factory by the brother makes its history a bit more fun too. 

Omega, Zenith, Seiko all equally low tier as Rolex with equally as good watches at better value for money. 

• Like 2

movintage

IMHO, answers to most any question similar to yours will subject to personal taste, prejudices, lack of and of course individual meaning of value.

I’ve been collecting watches, gens new and pre-owned, both vintage and modern for years. My decision on any watch I’ve purchased or will purchase never has anything to do with trends, possible status ( look at me) and especially investment value. I’m not a snob either. I own mechanical and quartz  watches built or assembled in and have U.S., Swiss, German, Japanese, Chinese movts.

My decisions are based on my personal taste. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Another is history. History of a brand and history of specific complications individually. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I love a good deal. The ability to negotiate a price for anything is a passion. I don’t want to forget sentimental attachment.

Out of all my modern watches I own more Rolex. A Day Date, multiple DJ and Submariner. Why, because I love the look of each. Each has its own special place. There’s brand and complication history of each. Are these Rolex watch’s the best in mechanical, aesthetical and historical beauty that I own? My answer is NO. But out of my collection I own 5. 

With all due respect to all of us, myself included. I suggest you also pose your question(s) on a Gen forum.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge and happy holidays!

FunnyStarSystem

This is kind of like asking why royalty exists and was once nearly universal. "Because human nature", is the answer.

At the end of the day a king is just a man and a Rolex just a watch. 

tribefan

Tudor dude here, both rep and gen. Rolex is way, way over priced for what it is. If you are into flipping them for profit, then great. I did that with guitars many years ago, and the only way to make money was to be a gouging asshole and take advantage of people that didn't know any better. It didn't last long.

Not going down that route with watches. It's one of the things I appreciate in the rep watch scene. No profiteering eliminates a lot of dickheads from the equation.

• Like 1

deju
8 minutes ago, tribefan said:

No profiteering eliminates a lot of dickheads from the equation.

Ginger is still here....

• Like 1

Jibuti
3 hours ago, Philiusmaximus said:

No

Yes.

I mean... No.

Abe Fromen

Fair comments here for sure. I think the OP has already answered his own question and being on this forum proves it. Rolex does have an interesting history and are one of the best brand marketing machines on the globe. But are their watches worth it? Not a chance. And why buy gen when most good reps are pretty much as good and certainly with some modding for water resistance, arguably better (ie. value per dollar spent). 

So really, if you like mechanical watches get what floats your boat. If you want a nice gen, there are hundreds if not thousands of brands/models from which to choose, that will cost much less than a Rolex. Plus... the other thing to remember here is that when you buy a Rolex, genuine or rep, the vast majority of people will assume it's fake, so who cares? 

deju
21 minutes ago, Abe Fromen said:

And why buy gen when most good reps are pretty much as good and certainly with some modding for water resistance, arguably better (ie. value per dollar spent). 

The ROI on all my non franken reps is probably in the Negative. 

Abe Fromen
1 minute ago, deju said:

The ROI on all my non franken reps is probably in the Negative. 

yeah but lose $50-75 on a rep that cost maybe $400 vs put out $12,000 on a watch worth $500. Not so bad. 

black263
3 hours ago, deju said:

Ginger is still here....

And me.