Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

SeaGull, why haven't they made a 7750 movement?

Drhulee

SeaGull has proven itself capable of manufacturing some great clone movments (6497-2, ST19, etc), but haven't put out a 7750 clone. Since the patent term on the 7750 expired years ago, you'd think they would have started manufacturing clones of one of the most popular movements out there.

Your thoughts ....

greg_r

I suspect they're simply more interested in selling the ST19 (there's now several different versions available - including an auto).

prestigewatchco

Apparently seagull do make a 7750 movement my good friend Luthier has been speaking with the factory for me and they have told him that seagull number ST1940 is a direct replacement for 7750.

As for this being the end of the problems with seconds at 6 that is nonsense even buying a genuine ETA 7750 doesn't stop the problem the part that causes all the agony is a Chinese assembly that is fitted retrospectively to the 7750 so until there is a factory made 7750 with seconds running at 6 the problem will remain regardless of how much or how good the basic 7750 is.

Latest Daytona have a new jewel added to the problematic gear and it seems with service they are proving to be reasonably reliable

sconehead

...here's a couple of pics, ST do make a 7750 replacement, the 1940...

ST-1940-009-small-small-small.jpg

ST-1940-005-small-small.jpg

edit: see Robert beat me to it...:facepalm:

Luthier

Guilty as charged - I did. And yes, as Robert said - they DO make the clone of 7750, the best in China.

So, Doc... you failed again.

:facepalm:

rober100
Apparently seagull do make a 7750 movement my good friend Luthier has been speaking with the factory for me and they have told him that seagull number ST1940 is a direct replacement for 7750.

As for this being the end of the problems with seconds at 6 that is nonsense even buying a genuine ETA 7750 doesn't stop the problem the part that causes all the agony is a Chinese assembly that is fitted retrospectively to the 7750 so until there is a factory made 7750 with seconds running at 6 the problem will remain regardless of how much or how good the basic 7750 is.

Latest Daytona have a new jewel added to the problematic gear and it seems with service they are proving to be reasonably reliable

Since there is already a Daytona rep with a handwing Venus 75, which is almost the same than a ST19, I suspect a watchsmither should be able of replacing the problematic secs @ 6 with a ST19. If your watchsmither can do this for me, I'll purchase my Daytona rep from you :facepalm: Deal?

sconehead

Since there is already a Daytona rep with a handwing Venus 75, which is almost the same than a ST19, I suspect a watchsmither should be able of replacing the problematic secs @ 6 with a ST19. If your watchsmither can do this for me, I'll purchase my Daytona rep from you :facepalm: Deal?

...nope. not possible mate, they all have secs @9...

ST19 – Hand-winding chronograph developed from Venus 175. Seven different variants being produced:

ST1901: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3

ST1902: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 12 h register at 6 that mirrors the time-keeping hour hand

ST1903: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 24 h register at 6 that is not affiliated with the chronograph function

ST1904: unused model number, possibly being reserved for an automatic winding or true 3 register chronograph version

ST1905: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, decentral power reserve at 4:30

ST1906: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, decentral power reserve at 6

ST1907: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, central power reserve indicator

ST1908: 4 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, date at 12, real moon phase at

ST1940: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, automatic

edit: looking at this, the 1940 only has TWO registers (sub-dials) with no hour counter...it must be the 1904 that they plan as a 7750 replacement?

Luthier

Not "plan", they already make it. For a few years.

sconehead

...so it's the 1904 not the 1940 that's secs@6 Luth?

rober100

Since there is already a Daytona rep with a handwing Venus 75, which is almost the same than a ST19, I suspect a watchsmither should be able of replacing the problematic secs @ 6 with a ST19. If your watchsmither can do this for me, I'll purchase my Daytona rep from you :D Deal?

...nope. not possible mate, they all have secs @9...

ST19 – Hand-winding chronograph developed from Venus 175. Seven different variants being produced:

ST1901: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3

ST1902: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 12 h register at 6 that mirrors the time-keeping hour hand

ST1903: 3 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, 24 h register at 6 that is not affiliated with the chronograph function

ST1904: unused model number, possibly being reserved for an automatic winding or true 3 register chronograph version

ST1905: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, decentral power reserve at 4:30

ST1906: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, decentral power reserve at 6

ST1907: 2 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, central power reserve indicator

ST1908: 4 register, small seconds at 9, 30 min counter at 3, date at 12, real moon phase at

edit: looking at this, the 1940 only has TWO registers (sub-dials) with no hour counter...it must be the 1904 that they plan as a 7750 replacement?

I know :D but I don't mind having seconds at 9 as long as the movement fits the case and dial. I presume it does.

Luthier

...so it's the 1904 not the 1940 that's secs@6 Luth?

No idea, I dont have exact number on my price list.

79 ST19 – Venus 175 clone

80 ST19 Skeleton

81 ST1905

82 ST1905 Skeleton

83 ST1906

84 ST1907

85 ST1908

86 ST1931

87 ST1940

sconehead

...well if the wiki I pulled those model numbers is correct, the ST1940 ain't suitable for a 3 sub dialled chrono....

Luthier

I'll ask to send me the picture of it. Will take a few days.

Drhulee
Guilty as charged - I did. And yes, as Robert said - they DO make the clone of 7750, the best in China.

So, Doc... you failed again.

:lol:

"Failed again"??!!!!? WTF is your problem? I didn't "fail" at anything. I wasn't aware of some information. And what is the "again" part? Where was the first instance of "failing"?

Scone, thanks for the info. So, given a reputable Asian manufacturer makes an 7750 clone, why don't our reps make more use of it?

rober100
...well if the wiki I pulled those model numbers is correct, the ST1940 ain't suitable for a 3 sub dialled chrono....

Alpha watches makes a Daytona homage with a handwind ST19 movement;

http://alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=432

I bet the case and dial have the same measures than the sec @ 6 rep :lol:

prestigewatchco

There are daytona seconds at 9 made with automatic 7750

rober100
There are daytona seconds at 9 made with automatic 7750

Do you mean pre-2000 models?

WatchMe007

So how would I verify that the extra jewel is added and the watch has been serviced? I want a reliable Daytona as a gift for a friend and have been looking for pre-2000's to stay away from the sec@6 issue. Several people have said the pre-2000 reps are not accurate cosmetically.

rober100
Several people have said the pre-2000 reps are not accurate cosmetically.

Yes, some details like the subdials are wrong.