Sign in to follow this  
gtwc

Deadbeat seconds ..... AP + Gruebel-Forsey

gtwc

Just wondered if you were all aware of the the 'trend' for very high-end houses to start

marketing the 'deadbeat' seconds as a selling point................

AP does this in a couple of its Jules Audemars models (very nice) as does that superb

manufacture, Gruebel-Forsey.

For those not in the know, basically a 'deadbeat second' doesn't sweep smoothly loke a 28,800vph

across the dial - it jumps, from second to second.

So, get a quartz repro and convince your pals that this is the latest 'in-thing' and costs an

armanaleg !!!!!!!!!

Amazing really, we all want 'smooth sweeps' and the gens are replicating a quartz movement

AND boasting about it...............................

opus9

the worlds gone bonkers...

regards

opus9...

bring on those quartz reps..they will have their day!!

David543

I'd heard about that and read the reviews about how compex and difficult this is to do. Then I thought the same as Opus, that either the world has gone mad or they are being ironic.... :facepalm:

pfcdre

Nothing compares to a smooth sweeping seconds hand, i have just ordered a bulova precisionist champlain because of the sweep not because of the claim to be most accurate watch, i really dont like the quartz tick even though i do have a few quartz, why do it with a mechanical, i dont know, i thought the main desire for a mechanical watch was the sweep besides the engineering involved in creating it. Hope its just a fad for the uber rich, and gives the makers something to devise cause bless em there probably running out of idea's

Member X

Perhaps this is some bizarre attempt to reduce mechanical rep sales?

I know I read that the new Planet Oceans have a weird 25.5k sweep that has a visible stutter, and I can only presume it is because no clone movements exist at that beat rate and therefore it will make reps easier to spot, but I want 28.8k or better, dammit, not some stuttery effort that looks cheap :lol: lol

opus9
I'd heard about that and read the reviews about how compex and difficult this is to do. Then I thought the same as Opus, that either the world has gone mad or they are being ironic.... :lol:

and the golden bridge...wristies?

regards opus

houndoggie
Perhaps this is some bizarre attempt to reduce mechanical rep sales?

I know I read that the new Planet Oceans have a weird 25.5k sweep that has a visible stutter, and I can only presume it is because no clone movements exist at that beat rate and therefore it will make reps easier to spot, but I want 28.8k or better, dammit, not some stuttery effort that looks cheap :lol: lol

Omega had to slow the beat rate on the cal 2500 (base eta 2892) because the coaxial escapement was having too many problems at 28.8 k....or so they say.

Member X

Hmmmmmmm... :Thinking:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

houndoggie
Hmmmmmmm... :Thinking:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

There are some omega cal 2500a that beat at 28.8k. Omega refined the movement in it's updates and the beat rate went to 25.5k.... Why?

Member X

I wonder what it takes to reduce the beat rate...

Is it just a couple of teeth removed on a gear??

powderfreak
I wonder what it takes to reduce the beat rate...

Is it just a couple of teeth removed on a gear??

I am no expert, but that doesn't sound like a good and reliable solution to me... :thepianohasbeendrinking:

David543

The higher the beat rate the more difficult to engineer reliability, but 25.5 is an extremely odd number only because it wont allow one of the beats to be on the second, every second. Normally the beats are 6,8,10 per second. This vph will give 7.08333r beats per second. Having said that, not sure why it would lead to a visible stutter as during the period of a mnute it will beat exactly 425 times. Not every nth on the second but after a minute it should be ok and start the first second beating 7-and-a-bit times!