DB Cooper

What do they do to waterproof a rep?

DB Cooper

I just ordered my first rep and the dealer offered waterproofing for an additional $30. I went with it as I like to not worry about putting my watches under a faucet or being in a rainstorm. 

My question is since you can buy the same watch for $30 less without waterproofing, what exactly do they do to the watch that makes it waterproof? Is it just installing an O ring on the stem or does it involve installing seals in the back or behind the crystal? 

I'm sure you modders here would know.

Piccolo

The cynic in me says they take your $30… and wave it at the watch as it gets shipped to you.  

• Like 5

DB Cooper

Yeah probably they're all waterproof from the factory and it's an extra 30 bucks for them.

I just figured it was good to do in case the watch leaked and they wouldn't replace it because they'd say I didn't get the optional waterproofing...

Theviking

I'd say they check it is waterproof. 

Reps are designed to look the part. If the interfaces between parts (dial, case, case back, crown, pushers, bezel) are not within the right tolerances they'll struggle to get it waterproof.

I built a waterproof tester. Some of my reps were out the box waterproof (+5atm) others more like splash proof.

Mystery Shopper

I usually get the waterproofing done and tested after the watch arrives. Mainly because I worry that seals, O rings and sealant can move around during transit by air.

I have always been an anxious type :D

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

I wouldn't trust a TD would even test it after throwing your money at them. There's never any guarantees with water resistance on reps.

So imagine they can't get it water resistant due to poor tolerances. They'll never get in touch and say "hey it can't be done, here's your money back"

It's coming to you regardless.

• Like 1

Rx4Time

I would assume that they test the watch for water resistance to at least three atmospheres and if it doesn't pass they would address whichever seal is leaking or exchange the watch with the factory for a replacement.  Some dealers offer to pressure test along with the timeographer readings as part of their normal QA process before they ship.   As said, take it with a grain of salt since a lot can happen between when you receive the QA pictures and when you actually receive the watch, including such wonderful atrocities as the Chinese postal system and your local customs house to name a few.

Rx4Time

There's a bunch out there, but here's a couple of examples of the Chinese postal system. It's amazing that anything arrives intact through this......

.... And well, you get the idea. 

FudgyDocker

You're better off taking it somewhere local to get it done. Personally I just silicon grease the seals and hope for the best if I'm gonna swim with it. :lol:

But then, I don't go swimming with my reps that can't be replaced easily.

• Like 1

GingerApple

Don't pay to get it done, then find somewhere that will test it for free (Timpsons in the UK). If it passes (like almost all dive watches do), fantastic, you're good to go. If not, either get a modder to try and sort it or give up on that particular watch.

• Like 1

SteveA

I always grease the seals , o rings and inside crown tube then nip the case back a little tighter.Never had a problem with any of them.Got an old DSSD from Turkey,swim and snorkel with it regularly.

Philiusmaximus
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Don't pay to get it done, then find somewhere that will test it for free (Timpsons in the UK). If it passes (like almost all dive watches do), fantastic, you're good to go. If not, either get a modder to try and sort it or give up on that particular watch.

This. Many places offer free pressure testing

NCRich

They wave a wand and intone, "Thou art waterproof."

Except in Chinese.

• Like 1

DB Cooper

So I'm guessing the stem is the most apt to leak, and maybe where the crystal attaches if not sealed properly? Since the back screws on and I've read here where guys are taking backs off to see what movement they have, does that mean the case back seals like a food jar when tightened and has no rubber gasket or anything? I'd like to take the back off mine when it arrives to see which Miyota movement it has but won't if taking it off will mess up a gasket seal. 

processengr
8 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Question: Do these free tests use one of those pressurized glass tubes that pressurize, then submerge watch ?

If they do, do they removed bezel and band 1st on divers watches?

On my cheap chinese version, the bezel will trap air and make it difficult to determine the waterproofness 

APjumbo
3 hours ago, DB Cooper said:

So I'm guessing the stem is the most apt to leak, I'd like to take the back off mine when it arrives to see which Miyota movement it has but won't if taking it off will mess up a gasket seal

It won’t hurt the caseback seal to unscrew it and screw it back on.

when you go to put it back on, check that the seal is still in its proper groove, try not to cross thread the caseback.

@processengr
When I pressure test mine I remove bracelet and leave bezel on. I count the bubbles and figure if a few bubbles come from out under the bezel then no problem.

I have read that more than 20 or so bubbles  ( a steady stream) is a fail.

Having tested most of my reps not one failed at 3 bar. I only tested the ones I plan to swim with to 5 bar. Only greased the caseback seal not the crown or crystal gaskets.

• Like 1

GingerApple
49 minutes ago, processengr said:

Question: Do these free tests use one of those pressurized glass tubes that pressurize, then submerge watch ?

If they do, do they removed bezel and band 1st on divers watches?

On my cheap chinese version, the bezel will trap air and make it difficult to determine the waterproofness 

I've no idea.  I vaguely I recall they told me it was an dry/air pressure machine. You don't see them doing it though and they just give you a print out of the result.

Darkstar5

Once paid the additional waterproofing fee on 3 watches I ordered from Trusty to have them waterproofed to 50m. Tested them myself (have a wet pressure tester) when they arrived and the first watch I tested failed a 30m test. Opened them all up, gaskets were bone dry. Trusty at least gave me my money back for the "waterproofing"... But yeah likely they don't do anything and assume you won't test them. 

This was my test of the watch that originally failed and then passed after greasing the gaskets. I didn't mention that I'd paid for the waterproofing to save Trusty the bad press, but he's no longer a dealer I'd use due to other bullshit.

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/161965-vsf-seamaster-nttd-waterproof-test/&tab=comments#comment-2384915

Get a $150 tester and some silicone grease and just do it yourself so you know it's done right.

Edited by Darkstar5
  • Like 2

Mystery Shopper

We had a similar issue when I was moderating a complaint with a TD no longer on our list. The waterproofing was done by 'his watchsmith' who did nothing. The watchsmith was either ripping off the dealer or they were in on it together. As I say, that dealer is no longer with us for many reasons.

I should have said before- because of transit (pressure changes, temp changes & package bumps), I have always had my waterproofing checked locally.

Darkstar5
38 minutes ago, Mystery Shopper said:

We had a similar issue when I was moderating a complaint with a TD no longer on our list. The waterproofing was done by 'his watchsmith' who did nothing. The watchsmith was either ripping off the dealer or they were in on it together. As I say, that dealer is no longer with us for many reasons.

I should have said before- because of transit (pressure changes, temp changes & package bumps), I have always had my waterproofing checked locally.

This is exactly the story I was told. His "watchsmith" did the water proofing and was "in big trouble".

Maybe it was a one off mistake, maybe that just what they always do to get an extra $50 mark up on the watch. Chances are 99% would ever know any different. 

DB Cooper

Darkstar 5- was that the place with Andrew? I've read a couple posts here already saying he did the same thing with movements, charging an extra  $100 for Swiss ETA and when they opened up the watches they were Chinese movements.  I guess some sellers will rip you off on anything you can't see and they figure you won't check.

Darkstar5
1 hour ago, DB Cooper said:

Darkstar 5- was that the place with Andrew? I've read a couple posts here already saying he did the same thing with movements, charging an extra  $100 for Swiss ETA and when they opened up the watches they were Chinese movements.  I guess some sellers will rip you off on anything you can't see and they figure you won't check.

Yes, Andrew is Trusty Time. That's who did the supposed waterproofing. I can only speak for my own experience though. 

Edited by Darkstar5

brang1
20 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

There's a bunch out there, but here's a couple of examples of the Chinese postal system. It's amazing that anything arrives intact through this......

... And well, you get the idea. 

brilliant, think i saw two off my packages in there- on their way-happy days

Mystery Shopper

John / Nero put this together to answer the OPs original question.

DB Cooper

Thank you Mystery Shopper for attaching that thread. Great info.

So I'm deducing from all this that most if not all sellers are taking the extra waterproofing fee and doing nothing, and the watches are most likely fairly waterproof from the factory if the crown and back are tightened down properly. 

I'm not planning to take my rep under water, just want to be able to wear it in the rain or not worry if it gets under a water faucet for a few seconds.  I'm only concerned because about 15 years ago I had a Chase Durer quartz chronograph that was waterproof and one day while rinsing something in a sink the crown somehow came unscrewed a bit and water got inside the crystal. It stopped and I took it to the local jeweler/watch repair and they ( also Rolex AD ) wanted $250 just to look at it. (Watch cost $300 new...) Took it home, unscrewed the back, removed the batteries, and laid it on a windowsill in the sun for a few days. Reinstalled the batteries when it looked dry and it ran fine. Don't want to go through that again...