DB Cooper

Is this possible?

DB Cooper

I'm pretty new at rep collecting and not to good with the technical stuff but I'm learning a lot here. I thought horology involved hors, but I digress...

If you removed the case back and crown on a typical rep, and if you pushed the stem in, could you maneuver the movement out of the case without removing the stem first? I'm asking because I've read here where you can mess up the movement but not removing the stem correctly.  I was just wondering if the movement could be switched without removing the stem, in case I ever wanted to install a better movement in the future.

movintage

Not the way to do it but there is a possibility I guess.

After removing the caseback,  remove the crown,  then remove the movt. holder(s), there might be enough room to lift the movt. up from opposite the stem tube and slide the movt. with stem attached.

NCRich

Sometimes.  But it can be very hard to remove the crown since on most cases its impossible to grab the stem and hold it.

movintage
1 minute ago, movintage said:

:blowup:

Edited by movintage

fatarms

If you took your shoes off,  could you take your underwear off without taking your pants off?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer off the air. 

• Like 1

Faker

Practice on the cheap movement you are going to remove…. So what if you mess it up…. Better to mess that up than the good one you are putting in. 

you do known that putting in a new movement is more involved that just  the stem….. 

You will need to do the Dial and  hands too.  The stem removal is just the first part of a multi step process. 

Mystery Shopper

Tinkerers section here

DB Cooper

Just a hypothetical because I've read about people messing up the movement whilst removing the stem. I'd have to learn about proper hand and dial removal and replacement before attempting it, and have the proper tools. Having worked on micro RC helicopters, which are much larger,  I wouldn't want to attempt anything on something as small as a  watch movement. But I thought it may be feasible to replace an entire movement if necessary someday. More than likely I'd have it done by an expert. 

Right now I'm still trying to get untangled from this mess trying to get my underwear off without removing my pants...

Improved
On 19/02/2022 at 00:52, fatarms said:

If you took your shoes off,  could you take your underwear off without taking your pants off?

I'll hang up and listen to your answer off the air. 

That would be the equivalent of removing the movement without taking the caseback off.  I think removing the shoes only equates to removing the crown at best.-)

Hot Little Xixi

I do it that way all the time. I've messed up keyless works a few times removing the stem so whenever I replace a movement I unscrew the caseback, pull out the crown to position 2 (hacking / time setting position) , remove the plastic movement spacer, grab the stem inside the case right where it exits the movement with a hemostat and lock the hemostat onto the stem, turn the crown counter clockwise while holding the stem immobile with the hemostat, and after the crown comes off the stem I remove the entire movement from the case. It's not even necessary to push the stem back in before removing the movement from the case- there's plenty of room.  Installation is the reverse of the process and at the end I add a drop of Locktite inside the crown where the stem screws into it and screw it down tight to the case and let it sit for 24 hours.  

So I guess I just took off my bra and panties without removing my jeans and shoes...

Edited by Hot Little Xixi

GingerApple
29 minutes ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

So I guess I just took off my bra and panties without removing my jeans and shoes...

Why do you wear a bra, Dave?

• Like 2

Hot Little Xixi

I don't know who Dave is but if you can't tell a girl from a guy named Dave you're in real trouble...