DB Cooper

GMT Master 2 questions

DB Cooper

I have been looking at a lot of GMT Master 2s at different TDs and have a few questions that I'm sure you guys will know the answers to. 

I'm interested in the Coke edition,  Black bezel green GMT hand anniversary edition, and the Batman edition. 

My questions are:

Did each of these come with with metal and ceramic bezels as gens?

Did each of these have plain and engraved rehauts?

Did each of these have the LEC and plain crystal? 

I ask because I'm seeing all kinds of combinations of these features on GMT Master 2s on various sites.

Does anyone know which of these three gens had which features?

gooner2826

Google search 5 digit GMT’s and 6 digit GMT’s and you’ll find everything you need mate 

Bezel variations are a straight forward one (5 digit is metal 6 digit is ceramic) 

rehault and lec depends on the year of the 5 digit (all 6 digits have it) 

DB Cooper

Thanks, mate. I found pretty much all the answers on the Internet. Lots of changes to different models over the years. Makes my search easier now. 

Funny how it said Rolexes that didn't come with the LEC can get crystals with LEC during Rolex servicing, so it could throw off "experts" trying to see if a watch is counterfeit...

• Like 1

gooner2826

5 digits are a bit of a minefield, I was shocked that my pals was gen.  Just because they’re much lighter, rougher finishing etc etc than the 6 digits but they’re still beautiful watches. 

Just be careful with the rep GMT movements as they can be timebombs if they’re the correct hand stack. Personally had a few with 2836 movements and they’ve been brill 

DB Cooper

I learned about the CHS timebombs and the handstack isn't important to me. If anyone's that close to see my handstack order I'm already fucking her..:boobies3: The only way I'd have CHS is if it was an early GMT with a 21J and would be correct.

I'm leaning towards the nicer-looking reps with cheap Chinese movements for reliability and cheap replacement costs. I have gen watches with Swiss movements that do 6 and 8 bpm and can't see a difference when they're on my wrist. Sweep looks virtually identical. Don't think anyone will walk up on the street with a loupe and ask for a look. 

As for the rep Rolex clone movements I seriously doubt you'll want to open the back to show someone, and nobody's going to see it with a closed Rolex back. The only reason I can think of for one of those movements is if you're buying a box and papers and trying to sell it to someone as a gen. 

I have several gen watches from over the years and the only movement that failed was a genuine Swiss ETA in a Swiss watch.  All my Seiko and cheap (and even Russian) movements are still working fine after 30+ years.

FunnyStarSystem

What gives DB, planning to heist a cargo plane of Rolexes? Pro tip, don't grab all gold and platinum, you might have an issue with gravity!

DB Cooper

They fixed the 727 airstair so it can't open in flight anymore.  Not like the good old days.