wpd659

Submariner 116610LV HULK NOOB V8S - First Rep advice

wpd659

Hello all,

So I very recently purchased a Rep on another site in their M2M sales.

I am over the moon and can’t wait to get my hands on it! I have ordered some Cape Cod cleaning wipes and a watch cloth. Also a bracelet holder and screwdriver set all from reading this  forum and the other forum and certain threads on Advice for tools to buy.

So the rep I bought is the Submariner 11610LV Hulk it’s from the Noob factory I believe it’s the V8S model.

The link to the sale here: 

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...lk-v8s-noob-uk

So for my questions if anyone can help.

I have seen on here that people mention an Oil bath or baby oil bath? I found a post on Dry bike chain oil but couldn’t find the baby oil tutorial? For the bracelet.

Is this something everyone would recommend for new reps? 

Is there anything else I should do with a new rep? I have seen a service? So will look into a local watch smiths unless I can do this myself? (I am Uk based)

Does anyone have any tips of things I can do for general maintenance to keep it ticking along nicely.

I am also looking to do some Mods and change some parts out for Gen parts. What would people recommend for the Noob V8S? Would love to hear what people think is the best Mods to do and if they have been done previously?

Also I know some reps can’t have Gen parts fitted. Do any of these apply to the Noob V8S?

i want to keep photos and share my journey with this watch and moding/Frankening it. As I am very new to this I have a lot to learn but hope this is the place to share and ask advice. 

I have seen people donate to the site/become a member by donating. Is this something I can do and will this help with getting advice from members?

Thank you all for reading this and I hope to talk and share more in the future!

Will

Edited by wpd659

SteveA

Personally I use bicycle dry lube ,just my preference.

contact a mod to become VIP Member

• Like 1

Bill_C

Any watch I receive, new or used, I remove the bracelet and clean using a cheap ultrasonic cleaner (Amazon). There is a lot of debate over whether to oil or not. Some love it, some say it just attracts more dirt. I've done both and prefer a good cleaning without an oil bath unless the bracelet is particularly squeaky.

As for service, some swear by it and others run it until dead and then have it serviced. Your call. We have great members who can service a watch so look here first.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rokerite

As your watch is an 2836 ETA clone it will not accept gen dial or hands, which a 3135 clone of the genuine rolex movement will. I am not an  expert but think it it will however accept gen bezel, bezel insert, crystal and crown if you want to go down that route (franken). However that is expensive and at the end of the day your watch will still be a replica albeit with some genuine parts.

• Like 1

GingerApple

This must be a Pickle sock.

wpd659
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Personally I use bicycle dry lube ,just my preference.

contact a mod to become VIP Member

Yes I have read that on the forum using this then washing off with fairy liquid or a towel. But others have said this makes it attract more dirt? 
Have you found this has helped your bracelet? How often do you do this?

2 hours ago, Bill_C said:

Any watch I receive, new or used, I remove the bracelet and clean using a cheap ultrasonic cleaner (Amazon). There is a lot of debate over whether to oil or not. Some love it, some say it just attracts more dirt. I've done both and prefer a good cleaning without an oil bath unless the bracelet is particularly squeaky.

As for service, some swear by it and others run it until dead and then have it serviced. Your call. We have great members who can service a watch so look here first.

Ok well that’s good to know! I have one of these already, do you use any cleaning solution or just water? 

Well that’s good to know! Is there any UK based in midlands way? Or just London? Can you recommend any? As I think it might be best to get this done!

28 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

A Pickle sock? Sorry I don’t get that reference? I take it that’s not a good thing haha!

2 hours ago, Rokerite said:

As your watch is an 2836 ETA clone it will not accept gen dial or hands, which a 3135 clone of the genuine rolex movement will. I am not an  expert but think it it will however accept gen bezel, bezel insert, crystal and crown if you want to go down that route (franken). However that is expensive and at the end of the day your watch will still be a replica albeit with some genuine parts.

Yer I have read this just now! So I think I will have to wait for my next Rep to go this route!

The seller says the Crystal and Bezel look amazing! But when I recieve it I will judge but this is something I think I will try long term. Is there a tutorial on here?

Bill_C
Ok well that’s good to know! I have one of these already, do you use any cleaning solution or just water?

It depends on how dirty the bracelet is. Brand new bracelets get just plain water and 3 or 4 cycles through the ultrasonic wash. You'll be shocked at the amount of dirt/grit and metal dust that comes out.
Used watches with left over DNA get a drop or two of dish soap for a few rounds, followed by a few rounds in fresh water... but I'm a germaphobe, so take that into consideration.

Can't speak to UK based service as I'm in the states.

• Like 1

SteveA

I give a good clean with soap and water or toothpaste using soft brush ,then give it a good dry.Dry lube rubbed in by hand,leave it 1/2 hour then wash If with warm water,good dry with soft cloth and it works fine,only do it on arrival if the Bracelet is a bit creaky or stiff.

• Like 1

tribefan
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Then he went through a lot of trouble to set up an RWI account in 2020 and buy a watch with it over there.

wpd659
1 hour ago, Bill_C said:

It depends on how dirty the bracelet is. Brand new bracelets get just plain water and 3 or 4 cycles through the ultrasonic wash. You'll be shocked at the amount of dirt/grit and metal dust that comes out.
Used watches with left over DNA get a drop or two of dish soap for a few rounds, followed by a few rounds in fresh water... but I'm a germaphobe, so take that into consideration.

Can't speak to UK based service as I'm in the states.

Brilliant thank you! I think that will be my first job when it arrives then! 
I am abit of a germaphobe too! But even with being new I don’t know how many people have had this in their hands! So best to be safe and also if it helps it feel like new then even better! 

Ok no problem, thank you anyway! But I think any of the US ones customs might be abit of an issue so will look closer to home for someone to service :)

43 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I give a good clean with soap and water or toothpaste using soft brush ,then give it a good dry.Dry lube rubbed in by hand,leave it 1/2 hour then wash If with warm water,good dry with soft cloth and it works fine,only do it on arrival if the Bracelet is a bit creaky or stiff.

Ok do you rub it in with a brush or just pour it between the links and work it in? I think I might use a mixture of this method and the ultrasound with water method. Obviously in the reverse order :) 

Ok brilliant thank you for the tip! I really appreciate it! Is there anything to look out for with the movement when first winding it? I know you can’t change the date between a certain time it’s like 9 -3 I think? Or is that a myth too?

24 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Then he went through a lot of trouble to set up an RWI account in 2020 and buy a watch with it over there.

Sorry seems I have missed something? Or have I made an error somewhere? 

APjumbo

I agree with bill on the ultrasonic cleaner. Although you should really just enjoy your rep as is. Don’t get to worked up about the details or servicing or modding.

I say enjoy as is and spend more time reading about the different factories/ movements/versions.

You may find the size/color/ style is not what you expected and find yourself hunting down another model instead.

If you are going to manually change the date, don’t do it when the minute hand is between 9:00 and 3:00 (top half of the dail)

reason is that there is a auto changeover mechanism near midnight and if it starts engaging and then you manually try to change the date it could cause damage.

If you go to size the bracelet and the screws start giving you trouble just stop and ask for help.  Don’t attempt this after several cocktails , you will just scratch it all up, ask me how I know.

• Like 1

wpd659
13 hours ago, APjumbo said:

I agree with bill on the ultrasonic cleaner. Although you should really just enjoy your rep as is. Don’t get to worked up about the details or servicing or modding.

I say enjoy as is and spend more time reading about the different factories/ movements/versions.

You may find the size/color/ style is not what you expected and find yourself hunting down another model instead.

If you are going to manually change the date, don’t do it when the minute hand is between 9:00 and 3:00 (top half of the dail)

reason is that there is a auto changeover mechanism near midnight and if it starts engaging and then you manually try to change the date it could cause damage.

If you go to size the bracelet and the screws start giving you trouble just stop and ask for help.  Don’t attempt this after several cocktails , you will just scratch it all up, ask me how I know.

Sorry just seen this! Been in a meeting all day.

Yes I think I will give it an ultrasonic bath first and if the bracket rattles I will try the dry lube if necessary. But thank you all for your comments it’s appreciated!

Thats great advice and I will 100% enjoy the rep I bought and then research my next project while still enjoying the new Rep. From the pictures and video I have seen the colours looks amazing! And very vibrant! They showed compared to their Gen and it couldn’t tell the difference! But I am a novice to this all and I am sure there will be some signs that I missed!

ok thank you I knew it could cause damage so thank you for explaining that!

Ok will do! I have it arriving tomorrow so I will take some pics and try to resize! If I do have any issues I will stop and ask! The last thing I want to do is scratch it because I was too heavy handed or even break the screw head off! 
Ow no! I bet that was gutting! I will take note and learn from you their! No cocktails till after it’s sized :)

Thank you all for your help! 

wpd659
On 28/02/2022 at 04:04, APjumbo said:

So update! It has arrived and looks and feels amazing!
It winds and feels lovely in the hands! The colours of the bezel and dial are beautiful! 

Only one issue the link screws won’t budge! I have a 1.6mm screwdriver and also have tried boiling water to make the metal expand! Any other suggestions? 

i will add some pictures when sized 

APjumbo

Maybe a stupid question but can you move on to the next link or does that particular link screw need removing

wpd659
52 minutes ago, APjumbo said:

Maybe a stupid question but can you move on to the next link or does that particular link screw need removing

Not stupid I thought the same! But i have tried that and all 4 at the top are the same? Very tight won’t even move half or quarter a turn even when warmed. The bottom links were fine and I needed to remove 2 links and I removed one from bottom but wanted to remove one from top too.

APjumbo

Wish I could offer some advice on how to proceed but haven’t run into this issue myself. (Usually just remove the next link up)

Im sure there is a post here somewhere on options, just don’t strip the screw and make it worse.

At this point I would probably remove the whole bracelet from the watch head, enjoy the watch on a nato until it’s resolved. Also keeps the watch head from getting beat up while you fight with the bracelet.

• Like 1

wpd659
1 hour ago, APjumbo said:

Wish I could offer some advice on how to proceed but haven’t run into this issue myself. (Usually just remove the next link up)

Im sure there is a post here somewhere on options, just don’t strip the screw and make it worse.

At this point I would probably remove the whole bracelet from the watch head, enjoy the watch on a nato until it’s resolved. Also keeps the watch head from getting beat up while you fight with the bracelet.

Thank you :) I will have a search and see if I can find something! Really just made me want to get this sorted so I can wear it :) as at the moment I can’t due to the size! 
Yer that’s a good shout I will do that tomorrow when my tool for removing the pins comes :) 

thank you for trying to help much appreciated:)

Edited by wpd659
  • Like 1