Sign in to follow this  
ImWatchingYOU

Good macro lens required for nikon d90

ImWatchingYOU

As I only have the kit lens with my Nikon D90, I think it's time to get a decent macro lens to make good pictures of those watches I have.

Im not into lenses that much, and seeing there are a lot out there, maybe someone who knows more can help me out?

The lens should have automatic focus, and would be in a reasonable price range. Thanks guys :)

greg_r

AF is of relatively little use when you're working really close up. My advice would be to pick up a second-hand manual focus Nikkor 55mm micro. It's a superb lens and can be picked up very cheaply these days.

If you MUST have AF, take a look at the Tamron 90mm Macro. It's probably the best aftermarket Macro lens around for sensible money.

ImWatchingYOU

Cheers for the quick reply, as I was thinking to use the lens also for other things - like photograph watches, jewellery, insects, flowers, portrait macros.

Because I would try and photograph insects, I was thinking it's better to go with AF. If I dont need it, I can just turn it off.

I have been reading plenty of reviews around, and found different comments. Also saw the 90mm tamron which had some good feedpack. Actually I was thinking to go for it, but would like to have some support from you first!

Baldrick

Insects are notoriously difficult to photograph, especially with AF, they very rarely pose, you're better to be in control of the situation 100% or as near as possible, look for dead bees, wasps, flies etc, pose them, if you can only use 'live' subjects, catch insects, put them in the fridge, not too long, make sure your camera stuff is setup, decide your point of focus, then position your subject and try to capture before it warms up again (remember that if you're using studio lamps, the fracker will warm up very quickly), remember also that with true macro lens, you have limited DOF, (it's a good thing), but precise focussing is mandatory, you may be better as Geg says buying a good quality manual focus macro lens, or bellows system, lens reversing ring and practice with that before shelling out big bucks on a 'prime' macro, they ain't cheap.

For static objects like watches, jewellery flowers etc, you don't necessarily need a macro lens, however, if you have the bucks and want to go for the Tamron prime, then go for it, 90-105 is good territory, 50mm also, you won't lose a great deal of money on it, primes hold good value.

ImWatchingYOU

Cheers lads, I think I will go for the Tamron 90mm lens, as it seems to be quite good for it's price.

There are two options available - one with the AF motor built in, and the second one with manual focus (with aperture ring). As I will be using it with a Nikon D90 which has the AF motor built in, which version should I get.....? :lol:

Nisv

I use a macro close-up lens, I bought a lens set from the bay, works like a charm.

Cheaper than a new lens, the only thing is the hassle with screwing it on and off your kit lens.

Other than that = highly recommended :lol:

Produces beautiful closeups :D

greg_r
Cheers lads, I think I will go for the Tamron 90mm lens, as it seems to be quite good for it's price.

There are two options available - one with the AF motor built in, and the second one with manual focus (with aperture ring). As I will be using it with a Nikon D90 which has the AF motor built in, which version should I get.....? :)

Go for the AF version. You can still manual focus it when needed and it makes a nice portrait lens too B)