APjumbo

Midnight date change issues

APjumbo

I bought this eta 2892 for my planet ocean. It is the closer to gen movement than a 2824. Quickset date change is reversed (same as my gen Seamaster)

I had to swap the date disc, and should have taken a before pic but forgot.

Wanted to test it out before assembly. 
Quickset date change works great

Movement runs great.

When flipping date over at midnight using the hand set position it gets enough tension/force that the plastic crown starts to unwind itself off the stem. Figured something was binding so removed the click spring bits, nothing is binding now.

Something seemed off so I looked up the diagram and noticed I had placed  the click spring plate on TOP of this gear.

Diagram shows it is to be installed before this gear.

Hole in plate doesn’t align with the gear though. So ended up carefully filing the hole larger. 
Now the plate installs and the gear sits on top, but when testing the date change there is enough tension still to pop the gear out of place. 
If I wind it while holding the gear in place with tweezers, it will flip but still enough tension that the plastic crown keeps unwinding itself.

Tried installing the dial and left overnight, by morning the date didn’t flip, gear popped out of place again.

Question is, am I overthinking all this?

Will the dial and movement feet hold everything together tighter when this is all assembled?

Have I overlooked something on reassembly of this date disc?

I will probably assemble anyways, I don’t necessarily need the date to flip at midnight, just hate to have overlooked something simple.

55-AC26-F2-A307-4649-9-FAF-8-B38-A89493-
A6-C8-A125-6511-49-CF-B7-F1-C683-D97572-
4-EF42-BDA-6-CE7-40-D7-93-BC-4-E57472-C4
40-DE4171-A664-496-C-8248-15-C2-A5-E9-A0

796042-D4-78-F9-4-D4-D-860-F-EEA844-C2-B

APjumbo

Pic stolen from web of part I’m having trouble with, hand to file hole larger, seems strange it was stamped poorly or something.

A049-BE19-E665-453-C-8-E18-778450-A39417

GingerApple

@GenTLe would be a good man to ask.

• Like 2

GenTLe

You did mess up...

I don't service a 2892 from quite some time but, I clearly remember that the ETA diagram is wrong on 2892A2,  also the new ones like this: https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/14_ETA 2892.A2 2016 Version2.pdf

At page 20 of the doc (24 of the PDF) it's shown 2 wrong things:

1) the parts 38 and 39 don't usually detach the one from the other. They obviously can do, but not super easily. Enlarging the hole on the part 38 you ruined it. I never (ever) had to remove the gear from that plate it sits inside, and even washing the part and putting them into the ultrasonic machine, they normally do not become 2 parts.

2) the date disk should be inserted either after part 37 or between part 38/39 and 40 (can't remember now).

The force you were experiencing trying to change the date is probably either due to not properly engaged gear nr 38 between the minute wheel and the date changer gear, or because (it's not 100% clear from your pic) there is a tooth of the date disk pressing onto the spring of the date changer gear (this last option is not correct if you manage to change the date normally with the crown in the quick date set position).

• Like 1

APjumbo

@GenTLe

I am really appreciative for your help on this. It does make sense that the gear and plate would be one piece not two.

Not sure how or why the gear originally fell off when I unscrewed the plate, but will be sure to find a new part before reassembly.

There's another reason I love reps, if this was a gen omega movement I would be crying myself to sleep.

• Like 1