Sign in to follow this  
als86

Bezel replacement

als86

Hello all,

Could someone assist with the order this goes back together. All I intended to do was replace the bezel insert but of course thought it would be a 10 min job.

I took the bezel off this sub last week and the entire bezel, inner ring and hytrel gasket came out along with the crystal. Luckily I found the ball bearings and springs. I also found out that one of the bb’s touched the dial and left a greasy mark and was an absolute nightmare trying to clean it off delicately but I’m passed that stage.

So being the muppet that I am I have forgotten which order the retaining ring, bezel holder and crystal with gasket goes back in.

Does the bottom of the metal L profiled ring sit on the watch body? 

Thanks in advance, I have looked at @GenTLe post it there is one that shows a Rolex exploded view but typically it’s not the same as the model ref I have. 

Some photos …

jxAfCo.jpg jxA7wY.jpg jxAEcD.jpg jxARik.jpg jxAFGJ.jpg jxASLP.jpg jxAb7S.jpg jxA0rW.jpg

*I do have a crystal press for putting it in against the gasket when I get to that stage.

GenTLe

You'll need a new gasket as in pic 2 from the top it seems a bit mangled. The diameter should be 29.5mm, when it comes to the height, it depends on how the crystal was protruding from the case before disassemble it... Measure the height of yours as reference, then get some from here: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gaskets-glass (the 29.5mm ones). If the crystal was "too high over the insert" when the watch was all together, then get a gasket less high then yours. For instance on my noob V3 I  put a 2.4mm one to have the crystal kind of flush with the insert. For others I put a 2.8mm one. It depends from the thickness of crystal and general construction of the case. Get some of them in different sizes, they are pretty cheap.

Then to put the xtal and case back together there are 2 ways.

The proper one is:

1. detach the bezel from the inner ring (which is already done as shown in picture nr 2 from the top)

2. put the balls and springs (those that go into the midcase holes) on a side in a small container not to loose them)

3. get a new gasket and fit the crystal gasket on the midcase, by hand

4. fit the crystal on top of the gasket, again by hand, it should kind of "snap-on" to the gasket so that the midcase, crystal gasket and crystal will form a compact piece (there should be enough pressure to keep the 3 parts together also if you turn the midcase upside down; obviously if you push with your finger on the crystal from inside it will detach again without much force at all. If the 3 parts are loose then the gasket is too large for some reason and you'll need like a 29 or a 28.5mm one, check here: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gaskets-glass-iso-swiss-additional-sizes)

5. check that the cyclops is perfectly centered on the date window and then fit the metal ring that keeps the crystal gasket (the one visible in picture nr 2 from the top) over the midcase, gasket and crystal. This is problematic unless you manage to find something very precise that fits around the metal ring but is able to press on the metal ring lip:

jxoi8k.jpg

I had a friend with a lathe to make that tool for me in aluminum, with a 6mm thread in the middle so that I can mount it on the crystal press:

jxom7o.jpg

Once the ring is pressed on the crystal gasket the midcase, ring, crystal gasket and crystal will became like one solid piece and you can take out the movement, put back the caseback and crown and do a pressure test

6. you can now put back the 4 springs and 3 balls and the 1 insert click @7 (take care of the orientation of the click "slope" on top to have the bezel rotating in the right direction later on)

7. get the bezel, that you should, by now, have perfectly cleaned from old glue residue and where you should have already put the new 3m sticky ring for the insert (with its protection tape still on from the upper side, where the insert will fit) and press it over the midcase

8. clean the inside of the case, the inside of the crystal, the dial with rodico and put the movement back in the case and close the case

9. remove the protection tape on top of the 3m sticky ring for the insert and put the insert in place, carefully aligning it

It's a doable thing with the tools, but without them... It can be a bit of a nightmare...

Good luck! :)

The "improper method" that still work, is when you start from a situation like the  5th pic from the top: don't disassemble the complex of crystal, gasket, crystal ring and bezel, just put the whole thing back on the midcase and press it on. Not really orthodox, but it works too...

• Like 3

deju

So just to be clear, following that in depth guide, my take on this is send the watch to @GenTLe :lol:

• Like 4

GenTLe
4 minutes ago, deju said:

So just to be clear, following that in depth guide, my take on this is send the watch to @GenTLe :lol:

LOL, better to send it to Nick, a trusted watch tech and also in the same country :)

als86

Thank you for your time and explanation @GenTLe I tried the “improper method” first which is why the gasket is a little mangled however I now have a whole array of gaskets that were delivered yesterday so all good on that front.

Thanks again

• Like 1