B168

Rose Gold/ Yellow Gold, how long to fade

B168

I've done my best to do my research before making a post.  I've understood microns, plating, fading from sweat, etc.    I've done all this research because I like rose gold/two tone watches and I know SS and the "White Gold" look is better because it doesn't fade or chip off.  But omg I so want a 116655 rose gold Rolex YM or a Patek 5296 rose gold or a Panerai 0511 rose gold or and AP in rose gold or...anything with a hint of gold.  So does anyone have a yellow or rose gold rep?  How long did it take to fade?  I just want to know if the time it takes to fade is worth the $300-500 price.  There's even a rep 116655 Rolex Yacht Master for $900 because it's gold wrapped in 20 microns instead of the regular 5, but my research says it will fade regardless. Much appreciated!

FudgyDocker

They don't fade, as such. More it wears off. If you wear it every day, it'll wear off pretty quick. But a couple of days every few weeks, it should last years. I've got rose gold watches that are years old. Still really good, with no wear. And no, I didn't get any special 20 micron versions either.

• Like 2

B168
On 10/08/2022 at 15:49, FudgyDocker said:

They don't fade, as such. More it wears off. If you wear it every day, it'll wear off pretty quick. But a couple of days every few weeks, it should last years. I've got rose gold watches that are years old. Still really good, with no wear. And no, I didn't get any special 20 micron versions either.

Oh wow really?  I was worried it would last months, if not just  a year.  Thank you so much!  Gonna bite the bullet on that rose gold Yachtmaster. :D

Slugger

1. Don’t put a “gold” watch on after applying sunscreen or other lotions. 

2. Don’t expose a “gold” watch to perfumes, colognes, or other chemicals like insect replant or medicine.

3. Don’t wear a “gold” watch when you are going to sweat. If you’re active, get a stainless watch or two to wear when you’re going to sweat.

4. Wind or set your watch with dry clean fingers. Crowns are always the first to loose their gold but fortunately it’s an easy fix though the best fix is a Gen solid gold crown. Clasps and bezel rings too!

5. Clean your “gold” watch after wearing. Don’t use chemicals or polishes. A mild soap and water will remove most grime. A soft toothbrush can be used occasionally to loosen up dirt in crevices. Usually a  soft microfiber is all you need. 

5. Close the strap or bracelet around an old sock or watch pillow and store in an air-tight zip plastic bag with a  silica packet (absorbs moisture). The more air you remove from the bag before sealing the better.

I have never used those plastic stick on protectors but I have thought about it to protect the clasp. I usually take my watch off when I’m working at my computer but I do that regardless of which watch I’m wearing  

Do not use a Cape Cod cloth to remove scratches or TarnX (or other chemical product) to remove oxidation (black splotches). You can occasionally use a VERY mild polish as a last resort but the damage to the gold is cumulative and each time you polish you are removing some fake gold.  Baking soda and salt dissolved  in warm water may remove some surface oxidation. 

As you mentioned a rose gold  Yachtmaster, I have a couple of thoughts  about rose gold. I think some patina is very desirable. Rose gold has a higher copper content and even solid, it will change color .

I’m sure others will pipe in if I missed anything.

gran
5 hours ago, Slugger said:

3. Don’t wear a “gold” watch when you are going to sweat. If you’re active, get a stainless watch or two to wear when you’re going to sweat.

This happened to me on a cheap replica.gold started peeling