Djpsuave

Best Websites to sell Genuine Rolexes

Djpsuave

Just wondering what’s the best way to sell a Rolex…. EBay, Chrono 24 or any other places that are safe and don’t have huge fees. Uk based

deju
13 minutes ago, Djpsuave said:

Just wondering what’s the best way to sell a Rolex…. EBay, Chrono 24 or any other places that are safe and don’t have huge fees. Uk based

Tbh I’d be shit scared, Id either trade in and take the hit or trade with someone I know. 

Chrono and eBay have drawbacks I guess 

Djpsuave
58 minutes ago, deju said:

Tbh I’d be shit scared, Id either trade in and take the hit or trade with someone I know. 

Chrono and eBay have drawbacks I guess 

Yes I know what you mean…. Just could do with the selling some rather than trading, but suppose the safest thing to do is to sell to trade 

gooner2826
46 minutes ago, Djpsuave said:

Yes I know what you mean…. Just could do with the selling some rather than trading, but suppose the safest thing to do is to sell to trade 

Everybody’s mileage varies, but I’ve found eBay to be real fuckers and only use it when I have to. They always side with the buyer no matter what (even when they’re in the wrong), absolutely atrocious customer service and 0 common sense is ever applied. 

One buyer had a photo taken by the courier with the parcel in his hand (unbeknown to the buyer) he put in a claim that it was never received (photo was him at his door with the house number in show) and eBay sided with him. Refunded him in full and then held onto 2.5k of funds for months because of it all. 

For large ticket items it’s far too easy for a buyer to be scammed on there 

Philiusmaximus

If going on eBay I'd only use UK people with outstanding feedback, and lots of it. Problem is you can't vet your buyers before they buy it.

You can go into the settings and refuse certain types of buyers but it's a pain to do.

Djpsuave

Anyone used Chrono24 as don’t they use escrow to release funds which is safer or still potential problems? 

Watch_Fox

I have used Chrono24 to sell several watches ranging from $200 to $2000.  Their fees are lower than eBay, the escrow service is equally fair to the buyer and seller, and if you call their customer support team, a real person answers the phone.  As I recall, the escrow works like this: buyer sends the money to Chrono24, Chrono tells the seller that the money has been received and to ship the watch requiring insurance and a signature.  Once the buyer receives the watch, he has 48 hours to report any issues or request a refund.  If no refund is requested, the funds are released to the seller, minus their commission.  Other than shipping, the entire process is done electronically and takes just a few days.

Djpsuave

That seems to be a better process from seller point of view. May look into that service 

leonduchateau
On 18/08/2022 at 23:08, Watch_Fox said:

I have used Chrono24 to sell several watches ranging from $200 to $2000.  Their fees are lower than eBay, the escrow service is equally fair to the buyer and seller, and if you call their customer support team, a real person answers the phone.  As I recall, the escrow works like this: buyer sends the money to Chrono24, Chrono tells the seller that the money has been received and to ship the watch requiring insurance and a signature.  Once the buyer receives the watch, he has 48 hours to report any issues or request a refund.  If no refund is requested, the funds are released to the seller, minus their commission.  Other than shipping, the entire process is done electronically and takes just a few days.

I considered using Chrono24 as a seller but got put off after reading about buyers opening the bottom of the box, taking out the contents and then filming opening the front of the - now empty - box. Not sure how you can avoid malicious buyers and now willing to spend time/energy on such disputes.

deju
5 minutes ago, leonduchateau said:

I considered using Chrono24 as a seller but got put off after reading about buyers opening the bottom of the box, taking out the contents and then filming opening the front of the - now empty - box. Not sure how you can avoid malicious buyers and now willing to spend time/energy on such disputes.

That would be easily disputed, empty box = no weight. 

leonduchateau
2 minutes ago, deju said:

That would be easily disputed, empty box = no weight. 

Alright, didn't think about that. But ofcourse they could plant something in that is supposed to be a similar weight.

deju
2 hours ago, leonduchateau said:

Alright, didn't think about that. But ofcourse they could plant something in that is supposed to be a similar weight.

In such instances yes but you can always ask for proof the rear wasn't tampered with, I've been known to take 360 photos of a parcel and use non clear tamper tape so it's hard to tamper with. 

I guess using either a local watch shop to sell by consignment, or via ebay's certified system would help. They can hardly tell ebay they sent an empty box haha  

splke

Watchfinder not the best price bit worth a punt also local pawn shop. 

There's a new one doing the rounds too ill see if I can dig details out 

leonduchateau

Good advice deju! Might consider Chrono24 or ebay after all :p 

Edited by leonduchateau

splke

Watchdrop.Co

OLDBLOKE74

The Ebay verification service protects buyers and sellers  of higher value watches. Not sure how good the verification process is but it has always worked ok for me. The verifier posts the watch so  scammers can’t dispute contents 

BadPickle

Internet is a minefield for scams, I’d go local. Anywhere near Leeds go to Berrys’ there’s a similar one in Hull but the name escapes me,  or Ramsdens pawn shop are in most big towns.

You could always go there to get an idea of worth, don’t forget they need the resale to make their profit so will offer rock bottom

texaswatchguy

Selling expensive things is difficult online. Best to be done with an escrow or local cash at a bank or dealer.

leonduchateau

Would be interesting if you could share your experiences when deciding to list it somewhere. I’m curious too, been meaning to sell my 18k iwc portofino but too hesitant to sell online

Horace Derwent
On 18/08/2022 at 23:08, Watch_Fox said:

Yes,

a couple of years ago a buddy of mine sold his AquaTerra on Chrono24; and this was the procedure we follow !

If i can contribute to the thread, i would add WatchFinder.Co and Catawiki .

Edited by Horace Derwent