AlexFelix

Gen Omega Speedy from Japan on eBay opinion?

AlexFelix

Soo, I'm on the highway stuck cause of a car accident, and I'm on the bay. There's plenty of Omega Speedy from Japan at a price so low (found one at 1200€) that it look to good to be true.  

Are those watch too good to be true?

Philiusmaximus

Does my top go with my trousers?

tribefan
20 minutes ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Does my top go with my trousers?

FIFY

matching-hawaiian-shirt-and-bottom-vs-no

Philiusmaximus

My mam has curtains like that

paccbet

Those automatics are priced right, not to mention in immaculate condition. I bought a Speedy Reduced from a Japanese store (eLady01) many years ago at that price. 

deju
2 minutes ago, paccbet said:

Those automatics are priced right, not to mention in immaculate condition. I bought a Speedy Reduced from a Japanese store (eLady01) many years ago at that price. 

The reduced is picking up in value now too. 

There has strangely always been a glut of mint NOS speedmasters in for sale from Japan. Always prices cheaper than domestic, the only reason I personally never went that route is in the event that it is charged import duty, instantly all savings would be wiped out. 

• Like 2

AlexFelix
43 minutes ago, paccbet said:

So you, in your opinion investing like 1600€ for one in excellent condition could be wise?

Edited by AlexFelix

AlexFelix
32 minutes ago, deju said:

The reduced is picking up in value now too. 

There has strangely always been a glut of mint NOS speedmasters in for sale from Japan. Always prices cheaper than domestic, the only reason I personally never went that route is in the event that it is charged import duty, instantly all savings would be wiped out. 

In fact those are only recuded, in excellent condition are listed around 1600€

APjumbo

I bought my speedy from “Closer0924” on eBay a few years ago.

Arrived in expected condition, zero problems. 
I had to talk to DHL about the customs form and fill in some details because it was high value.
They did charge duty. 
Even with the duty and the watch market down it is still up in value.

Also don’t get excited and click too quickly, make sure first it isn’t a boys or ladies size, or a quart if you are avoiding quartz. Know exactly what you are buying, triple check.

elady and closer0924 are both recommended sellers who have been around a long time.

• Like 1

AlexFelix
10 minutes ago, APjumbo said:

I bought my speedy from “Closer” on eBay a few years ago.

Arrived in expected condition, zero problems. 
I had to talk to DHL about the customs form and fill in some details because it was high value.
They did charge duty. 
Even with the duty and the watch market down it is still up in value.

Also don’t get excited and click too quickly, make sure first it isn’t a boys or ladies size, or a quart if you are avoiding quartz. Know exactly what you are buying, triple check.

elady and closer are both recommended sellers who have been around a long time.

Those are great advice.

I'm now considering a reduced, and checked the price on Chrono24, and glad to find out they are the same. Probably the're the same seller too. 

I know that customs duty vary from country to country, but how much were your (in % terms)?

APjumbo

I can’t remember, I think mine was 10-12%. Plus $30 for DHL fees. 

You are starting exactly how I started, look how affordable those speedy dates are, oh maybe I should get a reduced, well if I’m spending 2K I may as well spend 3K and get the one I really want. Hahahah.

I think a reduced is a good watch, just also look at condition/scratches. Stay away from very scratched up pieces, they will be hard to sell later.

AlexFelix
14 minutes ago, APjumbo said:

You are starting exactly how I started, look how affordable those speedy dates are, oh maybe I should get a reduced, well if I’m spending 2K I may as well spend 3K and get the one I really want. Hahahah.

LOL my experience is exactly as you described, but I'm in better position as I simply can't spend that much (3k) right now, so I'm ''safe''

14 minutes ago, APjumbo said:

I think a reduced is a good watch, just also look at condition/scratches. Stay away from very scratched up pieces, they will be hard to sell later.

For what I understand is just smaller? I found it today that they make a smaller version, tough I seen the standard one around the same price +/- 200€/difference (condition accordingly)

Edited by AlexFelix

APjumbo

Researching and hunting is the funnest part for me. You should read up on all the models in your price range, mark 40, reduced. Look up if they are auto or manual winds, look up how old each model is. Look at what sells better (probably reduced over the Daydate ect.) 

There has always been a bunch for sale on eBay, so don’t rush into it. I don’t actually know the small differences between those models, except that the professional moon watch is large for some people so they opt for the “reduced”, although, a “reduced “ is not a professional Moonwatch. I think this is why the reduced gets more love than the date versions.

AlexFelix
17 minutes ago, APjumbo said:

Researching and hunting is the funnest part for me. You should read up on all the models in your price range, mark 40, reduced. Look up if they are auto or manual winds, look up how old each model is. Look at what sells better (probably reduced over the Daydate ect.) 

There has always been a bunch for sale on eBay, so don’t rush into it. I don’t actually know the small differences between those models, except that the professional moon watch is large for some people so they opt for the “reduced”, although, a “reduced “ is not a professional Moonwatch. I think this is why the reduced gets more love than the date versions.

Ohh, here’s why you went from 1k to 2k to 3k lol

• Like 1

tribefan

Here's the end of the yellow brick road. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/omega-speedmaster-pre-moon-chronograph-321-circa--8110-c-b7144679d3

From the year I was born so was looking at this a couple of days ago. After buyers premium $10K. Yikes, too rich for me, but what a specimen.

H3857-L293024132_original.jpg?_gl=1*16qm

AlexFelix
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

Here's the end of the yellow brick road. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/omega-speedmaster-pre-moon-chronograph-321-circa--8110-c-b7144679d3

From the year I was born so was looking at this a couple of days ago. After buyers premium $10K. Yikes, too rich for me, but what a specimen.

Well, 10k is definitely way too much I’m willing to spend over this model

deju
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

Heard though pre moon landings are pricey watches :rofl: 

AlexFelix
57 minutes ago, deju said:

Heard though pre moon landings are pricey watches :rofl: 

Ohh man, my knowledge is limited on those, in fact I admint it is just an aesthetic thing to me. They look absolutely stunning

paccbet
5 hours ago, AlexFelix said:

So you, in your opinion investing like 1600€ for one in excellent condition could be wise?

FYI I had the Reduced and sold it to buy a Moonwatch after a year as I wanted that one originally but like @deju said, consider the duties and taxes. Canada has an agreement with Japan and certain countries so I managed to claim the money I paid for taxes (only taxes, not duties).  

To Canadians who might be interested:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html?fbclid=IwAR1gzTRc8nwihSSrf2UReXwqTR62eevgbzm4JYlT7xRnJz_iRA02PE9YvT4

https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/cptpp-ptpgp/tariff-elimination-droits_de_douane.aspx?lang=eng

AlexFelix
20 minutes ago, paccbet said:

FYI I had the Reduced and sold it to buy a Moonwatch after a year as I wanted that one originally but like @deju said, consider the duties and taxes. Canada has an agreement with Japan and certain countries so I managed to claim the money I paid for taxes (only taxes, not duties).  

To Canadians who might be interested:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html?fbclid=IwAR1gzTRc8nwihSSrf2UReXwqTR62eevgbzm4JYlT7xRnJz_iRA02PE9YvT4

https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/cptpp-ptpgp/tariff-elimination-droits_de_douane.aspx?lang=eng

Well, I do import a lot of stuff from the USA (to Italy) for work, I must admit that import taxes has raised a bit too. For the last shipment I had which was 250€ + 120€ shipment, I paid like 80€ In customs fees/vat. So would be 23% vat + fees for a 30% of the total amount (watch + shipment)

• Like 1

OLDBLOKE74

I own three gen speedmaster automatics - the movement in each is ETA 2892 based with a chrono module. These can be fixed by any watchmaker at a reasonable price - @ Rolie fixed one of mine a while back. 
I like the 39mm size, just seems right for a vintage chronograph to me. 
In the UK import taxes from Japan are likely and should be budgeted for. 

Go for it - box n papers helpful if ever u want to trade or move it on 

OLDBLOKE74

zOn31b.jpg

My blue triple date is on Gen wrist check for August 

• Like 1

OLDBLOKE74

the chrono pushers are usually higher on the side of the case than the crown - this is because the chrono module is sat above the movement. cheap copies don’t have that 

OLDBLOKE74

zOnUBn.jpg

AlexFelix
50 minutes ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

I own three gen speedmaster automatics - the movement in each is ETA 2892 based with a chrono module. These can be fixed by any watchmaker at a reasonable price - @ Rolie fixed one of mine a while back. 
I like the 39mm size, just seems right for a vintage chronograph to me. 
In the UK import taxes from Japan are likely and should be budgeted for. 

Go for it - box n papers helpful if ever u want to trade or move it on 

Thanks for all the info, they're precious, and must say your Speedy is stunner!

I just bought a cheap homage on Amazon (well, more than an homage is a pure copy without the brand) that is a standard size to check if I like it and how I feel it. Of course I know is not the same but I just don't wanna go to a dealer to try a gen, because, you know...once there..