Sign in to follow this  
robznet

My rotor fell off!

robznet

Hi all, just looking for a little advice from the more movement savvy members on here!

Went to lunch today with my family, and in the middle of eating I noticed that my sub rep had started to make a sort of clanking noise when I moved my wrist.

Just got back and popped the back to reveal the rotor floating about inside!!!

Pics are below - my question is can anyone identify the movement? I was told that it's a normal cheap asian 21j, and if so could I get hold of one at the right money? From the pics you can probably see that the threaded part of the rotor screw is inside the bearing and I found the head of the screw inside the movement - now removed very carefully!! :P

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated! But I have had this watch for nearly 4 years now so it may stay with me as a hand wind only! :)

AlphaLima

The right money?

Is sub £13 the right money? ofrei has them mate.

robznet
The right money?

Is sub £13 the right money? ofrei has them mate.

Just had a look - cheers but I'm unsure which one it would be, I presume I need to measure my movement exactly then have another look.

Thanks for the link!

AlphaLima

No worries.

Admittedly, i know fuck all about watch repair, but the fact that the hole in the rotor is rectangular, as opposed to square, can only mean that the rotor has spun and slid over the top of the movement. It would stand to reason therefore that the rotor can be placed back over the rectagular piece on the top, spun 90 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise, and then secured by tightening the screw on top?

For the sake of £13, you might as well try rectifying this yourself mate.

robznet
No worries.

Admittedly, i know fuck all about watch repair, but the fact that the hole in the rotor is rectangular, as opposed to square, can only mean that the rotor has spun and slid over the top of the movement. It would stand to reason therefore that the rotor can be placed back over the rectagular piece on the top, spun 90 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise, and then secured by tightening the screw on top?

For the sake of £13, you might as well try rectifying this yourself mate.

I think you are right, another movement is needed as the threaded part of the rotor screw is broken off inside the bearing. Thanks

for the replies and especially the link for the movements. :)

MikeMcNair

um, no need for pricey purchases, i can fix that in a hot minute. :thumbsup2:

robznet

Cheers Mike - I'm sure you could repair it in no time but as it's a watch I never expected to last long I will continue to hand wind for as long as it lasts!

Just wierd that as soon as my new PO arrived - the sub rep decided to give up the ghost!! Do you think it was trying to tell me something? :thumbsup2:

Thanks for your input Mike!

Luthier

One small drop of 5 minutes epoxy - problem solved.

MikeMcNair
Cheers Mike - I'm sure you could repair it in no time but as it's a watch I never expected to last long I will continue to hand wind for as long as it lasts!

Just wierd that as soon as my new PO arrived - the sub rep decided to give up the ghost!! Do you think it was trying to tell me something? :o

Thanks for your input Mike!

NP

cheers

robznet
One small drop of 5 minutes epoxy - problem solved.

Never thought of that! Got some real good epoxy - will give it a try and post back. Cheers! :)