Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Cartier Santos XL

greg_r

Sconey bought one of these recently and finally got me to the point where I just had to have one myself. I've admired the Santos for years, but for some reason had never gotten around to buying one for myself until now (although my wife has a ladies' Santos).

Robert lists these at $360 fitted with a Swiss Sellita SW200 movement. The watch comes on a good quality croco-print strap which is vastly superior to most rep straps. This is one I will not be bothering to replace, which is rare for me.

I have to say that I'm blown away by how good this rep is. It's definitely up in v2 SOH territory - if not even better. Having taken a close look at the gen very recently, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two, to be honest - it's pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing. The main giveaway for me is that the clasp isn't quite as precise and positive in use as the gen, but I'm being really nitpicky here.

I'll try to take some decent pics soon, but in the meantime here are a couple of quick iPhone snaps...

cartiersantosxl_04-07-11.JPG

cartiersantosxl-w_04-07-11.JPG

cartiersantos-050711.JPG

trailboss99

Nice but it doesn't have a bit that goes round and round :)

Col.

greg_r
Nice but it doesn't have a bit that goes round and round :)

Col.

:)

I bet you're awake all night with a torch under the covers watching that little thing go 'round and 'round :D

kolchak

Looks so good but my onlly concern is XL size since I'm most comfortable with 44 - 46 mm - can anyone comment about the XL on a 7 inch wrist? (sorry if I just took a thread dump)

bklynboy

thanks for the review, i've been thinking of one of these for myself

my wife has a mid sized tank gen, never liked the tank myself but could get on with this one

robert lists it at 38mm square but it looks to wear bigger, what size wrist have you got ?

greg_r

It doesn't wear that big. Feels a little smaller than the 46mm SOH I was wearing earlier today. If you can handle a 44mm PAM or something like the SOH, you should be fine.

Silverspeed

One of the best reps available at the moment

greg_r

my wife has a mid sized tank gen, never liked the tank myself but could get on with this one

robert lists it at 38mm square but it looks to wear bigger, what size wrist have you got ?

The angle of the photo makes it look a lot bigger than it is. My wrist is just under 7.75"

Bear in mind that square watches do wear quite a lot larger than round ones. I'd say this wears about the same as a 45mm Radiomir. It's not too thick, so doesn't feel bulky on the wrist.

bklynboy

The angle of the photo makes it look a lot bigger than it is. My wrist is just under 7.75"

Bear in mind that square watches do wear quite a lot larger than round ones. I'd say this wears about the same as a 45mm Radiomir. It's not too thick, so doesn't feel bulky on the wrist.

thanks for the advise all around!

thickness is an important aspect as well but robert's post didn't have that info

Del

Stunning greg - congrats! :)

I'm not a big Cartier fan but this one really grabs me - might have to consider shipping one or two out to make space for this!

greg_r

Thanks Del. This is certainly one of the best reps around at the moment.

sconehead

Welcome to the Santos club G...I find it to be one of the most comfy watches I've ever worn, and as you've already said, it doesn't wear that big...

2point

Like the look of this, tempted with a his'n'hers deal. I'll see what the Mrs says - probably not pink enough for her though!

nunu78

wow,Greg congrats ,I hope Robert shipped mine today.

jdthompson131216

Congrats on a beautiful watch

bme

Greg that's a beauty.........I can see me being less well off at the end of the month......bastard!

greg_r
Greg that's a beauty.........I can see me being less well off at the end of the month......bastard!

Blame the monkey - he's the one responsible for me buying this :)

nunu78

Blame the monkey - he's the one responsible for me buying this :D

Sconey is the culprit indeed :lol:

ath

thanks for the advise all around!

thickness is an important aspect as well but robert's post didn't have that info

this is a great piece but i'm a bit confused... are the chrono and non-chrono version same size? robert is also listing one (non-chrono) in his auction as a 40mm :)

Silverspeed

Non chrono Santos XL is 38mm without CG's

Chrono Santos is nearly 42mm without CG's

Measurements for the non chrono Santos are all over the place....but the XL is 38mm

paulro

Hello Greg I can't find this. Could you post me a link please.

Thanks

Paul

GC

Greg... that Santos is a stunner!

great pic too!

Enjoy it often!

ath
Non chrono Santos XL is 38mm without CG's

Chrono Santos is nearly 42mm without CG's

Measurements for the non chrono Santos are all over the place....but the XL is 38mm

Thnx SS

WatchMe007

I want to order this exact watch right now. Link please? :)

See my signature. I need this watch.

Thanks.

prestigewatchco

I will re list these later I have in stock now price is slightly higher though movement cost has gone up $8 since last shipment was bound to happen as Stelita 200 got used more and more instead of worn out old 2836 ETA movements