paul837

2836-2 - day wheel reinstall??

paul837

Hey, Just building a watch with this movement as a base.

I messed up abit with the allignment of a date overlay and ended up removing the day and date wheels due to the method I used to attached the overlay.

After reassembly it doesn't quite work right, all seems well when adjusting in 2nd stem position but once day / date change came about from time setting it seems to get locked up.

I am aware of the spring compression required to reinstall the date wheel but I'm thinking the cog in the photo below was in the wrong position when the day wheel was installed.

Does anyone have tips for reinstall of day wheel?

Also is running the movement without any day or date wheel (on a build in which the dial has no date window) inadvisable?

zF1C4i.jpg

zF1dP5.md.jpg

GenTLe

Seeing it from here the only thing I notice is that the lever that pushes against the cam below the date change wheel seems not pushing against that cam... But it may be that it's pushing against the largest point of it, it's not clear.

I refer to this pointed by yellow arrow, your is much arretrated than this:

IMG_6059.thumb.JPG.044deaac670c58948054f

Another option can be, if it behave the way you wrote only when there's the dial installed, that the dial is rubbing on the date weel due to lack of play. Test it without the date wheel and then without the dial (but with the date wheel installed) and see how they behave.

Or you may have installed the day wheel without the clip ring that fits on the hour hand post. And, by the way,  you don't need to install the day wheel on that movement, considering there's not such think in the dial you're installing.

paul837
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Seeing it from here the only thing I notice is that the lever that pushes against the cam below the date change wheel seems not pushing against that cam... But it may be that it's pushing against the largest point of it, it's not clear.

I refer to this pointed by yellow arrow, your is much arretrated than this:

Another option can be, if it behave the way you wrote only when there's the dial installed, that the dial is rubbing on the date weel due to lack of play. Test it without the date wheel and then without the dial (but with the date wheel installed) and see how they behave.

Or you may have installed the day wheel without the clip ring that fits on the hour hand post. And, by the way,  you don't need to install the day wheel on that movement, considering there's not such think in the dial you're installing.

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Problem persists without dial installed. 

Your picture shows the cog that moves wheel is opposite than on mine, it rotates all the way round while no wheels are attached so perhaps it needs to be correct when installing wheel. I will try springing it back as per the image you posted.

It seems to be a fine movement without the day wheel installed however. I have already took BOTH wheels off now and started to install it on a non windowed dial because I felt like the day wheel served as some security to keep date in place. This wasn't really my preference through because I feel like the movement cogs might be exposed to dust / contaminates a little more with the wheels removed??

GenTLe
1 hour ago, paul837 said:

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Problem persists without dial installed. 

Your picture shows the cog that moves wheel is opposite than on mine, it rotates all the way round while no wheels are attached so perhaps it needs to be correct when installing wheel. I will try springing it back as per the image you posted.

It seems to be a fine movement without the day wheel installed however. I have already took BOTH wheels off now and started to install it on a non windowed dial because I felt like the day wheel served as some security to keep date in place. This wasn't really my preference through because I feel like the movement cogs might be exposed to dust / contaminates a little more with the wheels removed??

That cog you're referring is free to move nearly 180°, this is why there is a cut in the gear, to permit it (and the cam below) to rotate partially independently from the brass gear. The cam below the gear rotates around 200° together with the gear while the time passes and when is "midnight" the lever, pushed by the spring, that goes in contact with the cam makes it to suddenly complete the rotation (free from the brass gear) jumping the date wheel to the next day.

See here (note: the guy is trying to break that movement. He is NOT supposed to change the date with quick change when the date just changed as if it was midnight!)

paul837
On 11/12/2022 at 20:35, GenTLe said:

That cog you're referring is free to move nearly 180°, this is why there is a cut in the gear, to permit it (and the cam below) to rotate partially independently from the brass gear. The cam below the gear rotates around 200° together with the gear while the time passes and when is "midnight" the lever, pushed by the spring, that goes in contact with the cam makes it to suddenly complete the rotation (free from the brass gear) jumping the date wheel to the next day.

See here (note: the guy is trying to break that movement. He is NOT supposed to change the date with quick change when the date just changed as if it was midnight!)

Hi,

From that video, I think this is what I have done on mine, more than once.

After the problem highlighted in video occurred, I took both wheels off then reinstalled it, which seemed to have resolved the issue mostly however it still doesn't change as well as to be desired from time setting.

It's good to know that its best to avoid setting date during the period of changeover.

Thanks!

NCRich
45 minutes ago, paul837 said:

Hi,

From that video, I think this is what I have done on mine, more than once.

After the problem highlighted in video occurred, I took both wheels off then reinstalled it, which seemed to have resolved the issue mostly however it still doesn't change as well as to be desired from time setting.

It's good to know that its best to avoid setting date during the period of changeover.

Thanks!

Don't change between 10 and 2.