Chainen

Quartz vs Automatic ..for the sake of my quartz collection

Chainen

So, I am just jumping into this hobby after purchasing my first Rep.  Now that I am on to my next watch, I am considering a gen of some type along with other Reps that I cant look away from.  Here is where I get stuck when it comes to the gens.  Quartz movements are more accurate, require much less service, are lighter weight and cheaper than automatic yet the nuance of the hobby suggests that quartz is less appealing than the Auto movements which are more expensive, require more service etc.  I understand that the auto movements are more sophisticated but what else am I missing.  Logic tells me that quartz is the way to go but my gut is saying that those movements are something less than the auto movements.  Having a few quartz watches in my collection, I now look at those watches with less desire than before simply because they are quartz.  Is it simply about the prestige, cost and sophistication?  Is the sweeping second hand that cool vs the 1 click per second?  I would love to learn so that I maybe once again I can look at my quartz watches with renewed enthusiasm.

OLDBLOKE74

Quartz watches are made in sweat shops by 5 yr old slaves. The slaves have to work for a bowl of rice a day and provide sexual services on their only 20 minute break in each 19 hour shift. They have to work 7 days every week. They are worn by that twat out of Wolf of Wallstreet and football hooligans from Portsmouth.
Mechanical watches are made in Switzerland - by virgins. They use techniques that were passed down from gods 20,000 years ago. They only work four days every year and their traditions are fiercely defended by the European court of human rights. They receive a 1m€ annual pension ,  a gold Patek Nautilus, a Montblanc  Meisterstuck at and a huge Toblerone the age of 33. They are worn by angels, The president of Ukraine and David Beckham. 

I don’t give a shit and I collect both 

• Like 5

Rx4Time

There are some phenomenal quartz replicas.  The best are a somewhat limited subset of the replicaverse, such as my tag aquaracer.  The genuine is a quartz as well and this actually uses the same movement as the genuine.   Best rule of thumb is if the genuine is quartz then it shouldn't bother you and enjoy it.  If you are selecting a replica of an automatic movement, the quartz options are typically lower tier with lots of flaws beyond the obvious tick tick seconds hand. 

PXL_20221231_093526720b11be7c8308014ed.j

• Like 1

Chainen

Paints a pretty clear picture :D  No wonder I am looking down my nose at my quartz.  I want to be in the work for 4 days a year crowd, just wish I could afford it.  Back to the sweatshops for me then.

Chainen

Didnt realize the luxury levely gens like Tag, had models that were quartz.  Great to know, maybe things are looking up for my quartz Tissot and Citizen.

OLDBLOKE74

If u have 20 minutes … 

Seriously there are some iconic quartz watches - some of the Tag Heuers especially - love the one you are with - this fucking addiction will eat your cash and the joy u will get from the watch you have will only be surpassed by the one you want.

Chainen

Thanks Bloke, you aren't kidding.  I began my search for the second purchase while waiting for delivery of the Rep I ordered.  It truly is a sickness that began very innocently but has burgeoned into a full blown disease with me.  Great meeting you and thanks for the input my friend.

GenTLe
12 hours ago, Chainen said:

So, I am just jumping into this hobby after purchasing my first Rep.  Now that I am on to my next watch, I am considering a gen of some type along with other Reps that I cant look away from.  Here is where I get stuck when it comes to the gens.  Quartz movements are more accurate, require much less service, are lighter weight and cheaper than automatic yet the nuance of the hobby suggests that quartz is less appealing than the Auto movements which are more expensive, require more service etc.  I understand that the auto movements are more sophisticated but what else am I missing.  Logic tells me that quartz is the way to go but my gut is saying that those movements are something less than the auto movements.  Having a few quartz watches in my collection, I now look at those watches with less desire than before simply because they are quartz.  Is it simply about the prestige, cost and sophistication?  Is the sweeping second hand that cool vs the 1 click per second?  I would love to learn so that I maybe once again I can look at my quartz watches with renewed enthusiasm.

See it this way:

1) there are quartz and quartz, most of them are machine-made, totally not refined and therefore supercheap (and yes, even those are more precise than a mechanical one):

Wholesale-10pcs-NEW-Japan-Miyota-2035-QuWM-OS20_large_41283e03-7b7b-4e5d-a791-41s-l500.jpg

Others are definitively more valuable, refined, serviceable:

Seiko-Quartz-Caliber-9F62.jpg f-p-journe-elegante-quartz-movement-a9c4 Baselworld-2019-Citizen-Caliber-0100-1-s

Then there is the "Seiko Spring Drive" which is a marvel in its own (and yes, it's quartz regulated):

grandseiko-springdrive-1024x555.jpg

So not all quartz are the same.

The level of precision and craftsmanship on nearly ANY mechanical movement surpass the cheap quartz upper, and this is why they are often trashed. And when it comes to high horology, this is even more valid:

it's like comparing a Jaguar E-Type straight 6 from 1961 with a Tesla Model 3... The 1st is a work of art, the 2nd is just a robotic made, blunt design, mass produced car that in 10/12 years will be pressed due to battery pack failure...

• Like 1

Chainen

Thanks Gentle and Demu,  had no clue to the  wide diversity between quartz movement.  Had no idea Rolex had one.  Thanks for the education!