Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

"Super" Sea Dweller not so super

Massimo

I've concluded that my Super Sea Dweller is not great at self winding. I wore it most of last week, no problems, but I didn't wear it on Sunday morning because I was going out biking and didn't want to shake it to bits (that's what the G-Shock is for). When I got back it had stopped at 10:30am, less than 12 hours after I took it off the night before. The same thing has happened once before.

I did an experiment and wound it manually, leaving it overnight again. It ran for 29 hours, stopping at 3 this afternoon, so the movement and reserve are fine, and I conclude it's the automatic winding that isn't great.

It isn't a big problem therefore, as long as I know about it, but I wonder if anyone has had any similar experience, and/or has a solution (short of sending it off for servicing). Is it just one of those things to live with?

I'm fairly happy it's an ETA movement as advertised, I took this pic when I got it last year

DSC01354.JPG

KBH

I wouldn't be too sure about that being an Eta movement. Look at the sorry looking + and - stamps on the regulator. The 2836-2 stamp looks a little funky also.

houndoggie

Massimo, it looks like a Swiss movement to me.. and older one, probably only 21j.

Just get it serviced...

greg_r

Probably needs lubricating - those movements should have something around 40hr reserve.

sconehead

It's a gen 2836-2 with an incabloc balance bridge assy fitted from an ETA 2801/2801-2 movement...Strange indeed...

KBH

Real Eta(in a fake SD):

repmove800.jpg

Massimo's:

DSC01354.JPG

Look at the difference in quality of the stampings. Eta wouldn't have the stamps hanging over the edge.

Also look at the general finish of the two movements. I ain't buying it's real.

Massimo

"Dear Repgeek, I've had this watch for several months and it's been perfect but I'm concerned I've been sold a replica, should I be worried?"

Thanks, guys, I'm not really hung up on the real/fake ETA thing, although if it's a clone movement that may explain the odd behaviour. That crappy "+" always bothered made me too.

The likeliest thing at this point is that I'll live with it but I had been wondering if a dab of watch oil on the rotor was worth a punt, or is that just crazy talk? I speak from almost no knowledge of course. Otherwise I can think about the service.

KBH

I like your attitude Massimo. I've been buying mostly clones lately and they are just fine.

sconehead
I like your attitude Massimo. I've been buying mostly clones lately and they are just fine.

+1 KB...look closer though, I think it's the movement holder obscuring the movement itself that's making the markings look 'on the edge'...Magoo springs to mind... :P :popcorn:

KBH

+1 KB...look closer though, I think it's the movement holder obscuring the movement itself that's making the markings look 'on the edge'...Magoo springs to mind... :P :popcorn:

I read a post on TRF a couple weeks ago about telling clone movements. I wish i had saved it. The guy sounded like he knew his shit and one of his "for sure" ways to tell was when the + sign hung over the edge. He said Eta would NEVER do anything that sloppy. Kind of makes sense to me. He had several pictures to back up his claim.

Of course, on the Internet, everybody's an expert.

AllergyDoc

Give her a squirt or two of WD-40 and she'll purr for you...

If it needs service, I used Rex on RG w/good results.

sfa437

Agreed-

Rex from RG did me solid on a crown/stem for my UPO. Great work and fast turn-around!

Luthier

1. This is real ETA - take a look on the number of holes on the small wheel.

2. Chinese ETA clones are as good as real McCoys.

Let watchsmith clean it up and continue to enjoy.

For your reference:

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...p?showtopic=943

Thanks, John!!!

Massimo

Great stuff, thanks, and it might be real again after all. Looks like a service is the consensus view.