Pesman

RWG Scammers and PP F&F thoughts?

Pesman

Happy Easter all. The RWI newsletter just dropped in my inbox. I confess I rarely visit there being far too tempted already on here and liking the more relaxed 'vibe' on RWG. However there was a bit of a focus on recent Scams suffered on RWI...

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/people-just-dont-learn-do-they-three-more-preventable-scams.10938717/

There was a lot of talk over people being 'foolish' in using PP F&F as the funds are non-recoverable if your scammed.

I will be honest and say that I have always used F&F and have so far, touch wood, never been scammed. I am naturally careful and tend to buy off the same 5-10 sellers and rarely sell or buy from newbies or anyone who seems 'knobby'!

Would be interested in RWG members thoughts and experiences on here. Is RWG safer? Luckier? Do you think PP G&S is safer? Do they even cover replica goods transactions? If so, is it worth the extra few dollars to have some insurance?

I know another of us are across both so welcome your thoughts....

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

BadApple

We are a different breed on here and thankfully so. Our selling procedure is more lax but it works.

We seem to escape the overpriced pre-raid franken shit they sell on there plus everyone sells at above acceptable price and then throws in a load of straps.

Just had a set to with someone flogging a Catch and Release he's had for 3 months !!! Plus he's £30 over the price of a brand new one.

He came back at me with abuse and then some knob of a mod came on and bollocked me - done with the place TBH 

I will only M2M on here as the users and members are bang on, don't rip off and sell good honest watches. 

• Like 9

Pesman

It does feel more officious over there. Not sure if that is a result of issues but I rarely visit. RWG has always felt a very relaxed place for that smallish core of us who regularly post, buy, sell and trade. The scam post is pretty sobering in terms of the connections with anon etc. Just glad we seem free of the idiots.

• Like 3

deju

@Pesman both RWI & RWG work very hard to keep things safe. 

I wouldn't say it's safer anywhere. Simply RWI has regular higher value sales. A scam at £500-£1000 + is better than the £150 sales we see here    

• Like 2

Rokerite

This forum is much smaller than it's big brother  RWI. The mere matter of number of members and number of sales means that people do not "know" other members as much as they do here so more chance of being duped. Saying that, I have bought from their m2m a few times and never had a problem.

• Like 2

Devil

I'm in the same position as you as never been scammed by PP FF, I vet whom I'm buying from and make sure they've sold a few before/long standing members etc...

I think PPFF is prefered by sellers as G&S the seller could get scammed themselves!

• Like 2

Simonix

I agree with @Devil

i have been scammed as a seller 3 times in the past by using G&S on PayPal (not on this forum). 

Trouble is, buyer just claims item didn’t arrive, and PayPal always chargeback against the seller as default. 

I once managed to prove to PayPal that I had sent the item, and they did refund me again, but not the PayPal fines they charged me for the dispute! 

much prefer to just deal with people I know. If they don’t want to use F&F, I’ll just sell to someone else. 

Choose your buyer, not just your seller. 

So glad that this forum has always been so friendly and good natured. 

Edited by Simonix
  • Like 5

Philiusmaximus

Only time I've been messed around was on repgeek. Some goon selling something that wasn't as described. I just sucked it up. Live and learn. Wasn't too much out of pocket. Not like those maniacs chucking thousands at complete strangers for modded watches and frankens 

• Like 3

Leet1983

Never had a problem on this site with anyone re PPFF and to be honest dealt with four of the members above in this thread with no problems what so ever and dealt with numerous others too and in the most part  i think the rwg forum as alot of good eggs willing to help give advice etc , next door is another thing as most of you know i was shafted by a con man next door for £550 ( as a YORKSHIRE man i still cry  myself to sleep about it every night) the sale  was also green lighted by the forum, so you can never be to careful on there just my opinion.

• Like 2

Pesman

I know very little about RWI. More than enough to spend on here and enjoying the solid core members I referred to - again being the ones to comment above - I didn’t realise people would flip so much on a rep. I will be honest in that I don’t get particularly excited about Franken reps…I like it being a rep. Franken feel a little like trying too hard. I like a decent and more reliable movement swap (especially a gen 7750) but anything else is just a bonus e.g. a dial or bezel rather than a major motivator. Long may RWG stay as it is and FF remain! And hats off to anyone who volunteers to moderate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

I've never had a problem on here, to be honest. I had watch turn up to a buyer that didn't work as expected once, but I just took it back. It's what people do here. My experience with RWI, however, is that most are triers, lowballers and tyre kickers. Not had a sale or a good experience on there yet. So, I'll probably stick to here. I do like an easy, quiet life.

• Like 2

OLDBLOKE74

I feel like my mates are here - don’t go on RWI because  for me it would be like learning a new OS and I would struggle to find my way around. Never had an issue with PayPal F&F on RWG and the only M2M issue I had (years ago) was solved by a mod immediately. 

I would like to see more of us with VIP status because contributing towards the upkeep is important, but this is a welcoming place -  self regulation seems to work and our no dickheads policy is largely adhered to. 

• Like 2

splke

Love this forum but have been scammed by the Icelandic cu t born or whatever the fuck he called himself that time fucker 

• Like 1

tribefan
3 hours ago, Pesman said:

I know very little about RWI. More than enough to spend on here and enjoying the solid core members I referred to - again being the ones to comment above - I didn’t realise people would flip so much on a rep. I will be honest in that I don’t get particularly excited about Franken reps…I like it being a rep. Franken feel a little like trying too hard. I like a decent and more reliable movement swap (especially a gen 7750) but anything else is just a bonus e.g. a dial or bezel rather than a major motivator. Long may RWG stay as it is and FF remain! And hats off to anyone who volunteers to moderate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I never understood the franken stuff. To start spending crazy inflated prices for parts is just as silly as spending crazy money for gen, but a gen will hold its value. And when you start getting into $2K price ranges there are lots of nice gens in the range that will hold value as well. If you buy a high end franken on RWI, chances are pretty much 100% you're gonna have to sell it there too. I can put a B&R, Tudor or Omega on ebay.

• Like 3

als86

I actually read that sales post @BadApple and I was like well eh!?!? Some people don’t like the hard facts do they…..The seller just did not get it.

Never been scammed on either site but use this one more and the other site for some franken build’s and Gen parts from reputable sellers. Wouldn’t go near some newbies or sellers trying to sell stuff overpriced it just doesn’t sit right with me over the road.

As a whole both great places to visit mods to their utmost best 99% of the time but need to keep your wits about you and check history/previous sales etc .

I actually sold my recent Daytona over the road and the buyer was put off as I hadn’t sold much over there ….I sent him a screenshot of my rep value on here and he was like oh sorry I didn’t realise :Waiting: but right for him to be cautious shall we say.

• Like 3

tonyh7

I’m a hoarder, so I never sell! But I’ve bought a few here and it’s always been spot on. 

• Like 1

Clinical Trial

Its all about volume and vigilance of the mods. The mods on RWI work very hard.

I trust the mods here.

BadApple
1 minute ago, Clinical Trial said:

Its all about volume and vigilance of the mods. The mods on RWI work very hard.

I trust the mods here.

But for two of us on here highlighting a clear overcharge to get threatened with being suspended for pointing it out has made me fuck 'em all off. 

I know there's shared mods on here but we are blessed and have a small and friendly nucleus of them and we help them to spot when a seller is taking the piss.

Not so over there. Not the first time I've had run ins on RWI with the mods by just doing something we all do on here.  

• Like 1

Pesman
But for two of us on here highlighting a clear overcharge to get threatened with being suspended for pointing it out has made me fuck 'em all off. 

I know there's shared mods on here but we are blessed and have a small and friendly nucleus of them and we help them to spot when a seller is taking the piss.

Not so over there. Not the first time I've had run ins on RWI with the mods by just doing something we all do on here.  

Well said. Having the balls to 'politely' call out obvious issues is important. Those of us who've been on here for a while now can really help those new to this.

• Like 1

tribefan

I've bought a bunch of watches next door and never had a problem with the transaction. I've only had one watch that I think was misrepresented. Selling there is a bigger chore than here for sure, but the volumes just make it a whole different game. I find the actual sales comments the seller leaves to be largely indicative of the experience. If they sound like a pain in the ass to deal with, they probably will be.

BadPickle
On 07/04/2023 at 18:10, Leet1983 said:

Never had a problem on this site with anyone re PPFF and to be honest dealt with four of the members above in this thread with no problems what so ever and dealt with numerous others too and in the most part  i think the rwg forum as alot of good eggs willing to help give advice etc , next door is another thing as most of you know i was shafted by a con man next door for £550 ( as a YORKSHIRE man i still cry  myself to sleep about it every night) the sale  was also green lighted by the forum, so you can never be to careful on there just my opinion.

I’ve never really understood that “Green light” thing and what is it for?

does it mean the mod has looked at all parts of the sale including the legitimacy of the seller and watch, then given it the go ahead, which essentially means they’ve taken responsibility for anything which may go wrong? So I guess you getting shafted is their problem not yours… 

but no, it’s just mods over there swinging their knobs around playing Charlie big bollocks, and when you do get shafted you wonder why the green light was even a thing. 

just my take, I’m sure one of the lovely guys next door will be along shortly  to shout at me telling me what hard work it is behind the scenes… blah blah blah :huh: 

also, across all the forums, and there were some weird ones back in the day, rwi is the only one I got twirled with, bought a 177  watch came different from the pic, but I was a noob so like a lot do,  just sucked it up few hundred quid down the shitter but that’s life and it’s learning curves

brang1

A lot of gen watch forums will have a section to ask for references on sellers- particularly for high end watches, if any one has dealt with the person at least they can note what sort of deal they had- just a thought.  I know myself, I will generally only buy from names I know on this forum and there is a long list of genuine honest people here, unfortunately- RWI is so vast, you just don’t know who is who. 

BM284

In the beginning I used to visit both forums regularly, however, over the years I have favoured RWG due to the culture, ease of use and hardcore of members that post/sell regularly. I’ve never had issues with either forum with regards to selling or buying (touch wood) but then again you become accustomed to a certain methodology - plus if something is overpriced here it will 1) get called out and 2) never sell… and 3) a post is made several months later saying sold next door! :) 

Genuinely though, this is my favourite place to hang out and enjoy the input and collections other members share! 

BadApple

Prime example of how we all look after each other on here.......

• Like 1

NH_Vintage

As an outsider looking in so to speak (Newbie) I much prefer the camaraderie here then that of RWI, I've asked multiple questions on here, sent direct messages to members and everytime I've received an informative or atleast polite response.

I often check out RWI mainly by Google search as there is a wealth of info out there for Vintage builds, but that being said the likes of[mention=10171]NCRich[/mention][mention=11931]ROLIE[/mention][mention=40811]Mbari[/mention] and so on have made some fantastic tutorials and posts, aswell as assisting me greatly.

Don't think I'll ever need to post on RWI again!

I'm glad I'm not the only person that notices the dramatically marked up M2M watches over there, not only the frankens but readily avaliable pieces. I often wonder why these 'pre owned' watches sell so quickly at atleast retail or over???

I've made a few M2M purchases, and a few of my own sales, never questioned or feared using F&F on here as I feel the buyer vets the seller asmuch as the other way round.

Don't be a piss taker, be honest, be courteous.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

• Like 2