Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Did you ever flew just to get a no-VAT watch?

GenTLe

Asking because here we have 22% VAT. This morning I am flying to Tirana (not EU) and passing by Tissot boutique here in Malpensa airport I got myself a light blue PRX automatic.

It isn't that expensive, and yet I got around 130€ discount due to duty-free (no vat)... My flight is like 100€ with luggage (2 ways, return) and it would have been like 45€ without luggage.

Now... Imagine you want a 8k€ Omega... In the duty-free that would be like 6k€! 2k€ less. I think it may well deserve a day off at work and a short flight (the cheapest) outside EU, even if it's just exclusively for the watch purchase, and as soon as you arrive, you just turn around and come back...

What do you think? 

• Like 1

Pesman
Asking because here we have 22% VAT. This morning I am flying to Tirana (not EU) and passing by Tissot boutique here in Malpensa airport I got myself a light blue PRX automatic. It isn't that expensive, and yet I got around 130€ discount due to duty-free (no vat)... My flight is like 100€ with luggage (2 ways, return) and it would have been like 45€ without luggage.

Now... Imagine you want a 8k€ Omega... In the duty-free that would be like 6k€! 2k€ less. I think it may well deserve a day off at work and a short flight (the cheapest) outside EU, even if it's just exclusively for the watch purchase, and as soon as you arrive, you just turn around and come back...

What do you think? 

As long as you can safely secrete all packaging and walk through customs with a straight face! 

Suspect watches will also be full RRP...but if you're lucky I'm sure it can work...

Hiding a Tissot box in your hand luggage may be doable but you'll probably need a trolley for a proper luxury watch box! I know people who've done that and then asked that the shop to post the boxes to them!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

GenTLe

Actually I stopped by a lady in Italy from our financial police (so called Guardia di Finanza) to ask her about it. She told me that since I'm flying away I don't have to declare anything when coming back with the watch. I suppose the only possible issue is if they have checked me entering in Albania... But none did it ;)

By the way, the PRX next to my "travel watches" (modded SKX)

3wkthY.jpg

3wkpZo.jpg

• Like 1

deju
32 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Actually I stopped by a lady in Italy from our financial police (so called Guardia di Finanza) to ask her about it. She told me that since I'm flying away I don't have to declare anything when coming back with the watch. I suppose the only possible issue is if they have checked me entering in Albania... But none did it ;)

By the way, the PRX next to my "travel watches" (modded SKX)

3wkthY.jpg

3wkpZo.jpg

I have contacted the Italian customs and requested full cavity search when you return 

• Like 1

FudgyDocker
7 hours ago, Pesman said:

As long as you can safely secrete all packaging and walk through customs with a straight face! 

Suspect watches will also be full RRP...but if you're lucky I'm sure it can work...

Hiding a Tissot box in your hand luggage may be doable but you'll probably need a trolley for a proper luxury watch box! I know people who've done that and then asked that the shop to post the boxes to them!

If it's a legitimate tax-free purchase at an airport, why would you want to smuggle/hide anything? 

• Like 2

Abe Fromen

I have read stories online of people (like the person telling the story) how they bought a luxury watch abroad and had the boxes shipped. When the boxes came through customs they opened the package, figured out what was going on and sent a customs bill for the full watch value. 

That said... if you can fly to a country and get one second hand without boxes, I think you're golden. 

deju
44 minutes ago, Abe Fromen said:

I have read stories online of people (like the person telling the story) how they bought a luxury watch abroad and had the boxes shipped. When the boxes came through customs they opened the package, figured out what was going on and sent a customs bill for the full watch value. 

I've bought gen boxes from abroad and the import duty has been for the box.

If an invoice is not provided then UK customs can value it themselves, the invoice must also have shipping cost (even if it was free) listed on invoice or again UK customs will estimate the charge for that.

The cannot "figure out what is going on" and charge for that. Bit of common sense.

I recently received a 2022 BMW M Steering wheel from abroad, Customs did not figure I drove the car across earlier and just sent an import bill for a car. :rofl:

Now had it been a dealer and Customs took note of the paper work serials and later saw it listed for sale then I might believe you if it was part of a larger sting, other than that, nah.     

OLDBLOKE74

How many times have you been stopped and searched  by customs? 

I have travelled a fair bit and the answer is never. Worth the risk ! 

• Like 3

GenTLe
21 hours ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

How many times have you been stopped and searched  by customs? 

I have travelled a fair bit and the answer is never. Worth the risk ! 

Same here :)

Piccolo

I’ve done it a few times, never had an issue.  Been to the US, and a couple times to UAE. Each time never stayed longer than 24 hours, and saved much more than a flight ticket and my £ worth in time each purchase.  Met a friend for coffee. Flew home. Meetings are meetings.

Take a cheap watch and box on the way out if you are worried.  Give them away when you get the one you want. Nobody will check what watch and box you went out with and came back with…

• Like 1