Sign in to follow this  
watcher63

Is this how our reps are made?

chum_2000_uk
dont rely on anything chum says

That's rich, coming from a retard with over 2k posts and still yet to post a meaningful thread. Almost every time I am on here there is another nonsensical thread under your name, with incoherent ramblings and pointless questions.

:P

chum_2000_uk

Ok, I've just been looking into the whole stainless steel 3D printing stuff and from what I've seen so far, it doesn't really look high enough quality for watch parts. Everything I've seen so far has this type of texture on the surface:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t...mp;start=0&

So yeah, ok I was wrong to say that you couldn't 3D print in metal, but unless I'm missing something, would you really want your watch parts having a finish like that?

jameo210369

Amazing technology

Takken

@ wat44:

Yes I'm not saying that you don't need a place to get minerals, metals. That would only be required with the first build. After that you can replicate the machine you build with the machine you already have :P

At least that's how I think it will become in a distant future. As we copy & paste so often on the Internet - that will be the future on all things surrounding us.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Charles F. Kettering (1876 - 1958)

anthonyd

We use 3D prtiners a bit at work and they are great for prototyping when you want a real model of the CAD image to try a test fit or give a demonstration to a customer.

They are however not feasible for mass manufacture for a copuple of reasons. Firstyl there is the texture as mentioned above and they are also very brittle. At least the plastc ones are, we dont use the metal so I cant comment, but I suspect that a metal one would not be as uniform as a properly forged and rolled piece of steel.

3D printing definitlly has it's place, but at the moment it is not the best for manufacture. The CNC mills/lathes or injection molding plastics are still a better option here.

It is still amazing however to watch a part being built up before your eyes.

AustinTech

Cool technology, but not practical for most objects.