proanti

Advice on Cousteau divers watch

proanti

Hello,this is my first post.i have introduced myself on new members section.

i do have a interest in watches but never been in the position to own a expensive brand. i never knew of replica watches untill a guy at work let slip that his was not genuine.he bought his when on holiday.

my joining and 1st post is selfish i need advice please. i look in the 2nd hand/antiques shops at the weekends and see a Rolex "divers" watch with looked very good to me(but i know nothing) it was labeled REPRO and marked at £60. i mulled it over and when back later in the day,it had gone!

today i went in the same shop and there is a IWC Cousteau divers watch. Again it looks in good condition. this time its marked as "repro" but £180 for me that is a lot of money.

i was told by guy at work you get all qualities of replicas,some are very poor and obvious.this watch might be that.All i know is the brand IWC is high end,i have never seen a cousteau in a shop. i have not see this watch`s colour online either so it could be a right dogs dinner.the strap is not to my  liking but thats fine.

i have attached a picture,will try to load 3,not great pictures because the case made it hard to take.

Can any advise by these pictures if i should jump at it,try to knock down or run a mile?

sorry if this sort of post is frowned apon or against forum rules ,thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Foxindebox

I would run as fast as your legs can carry you mate… poor quality rep that’s waaaaaaay overpriced. :thumbdown:

Foxindebox

for reference, this is what it’s supposed to be “replicating”…

3VUcaW.jpeg
3VUJJP.jpeg

• Like 1

proanti

Thank you very much. I can tell immediatly by looking at the picture you attached. can i ask what sort of price that watch is?

Foxindebox

The one in the window £20 (if I’m feeling SUPER generous… or more likely was properly pissed-up).

The gen, £6-7k

Needless to say, I wouldn’t consciously part with a penny for that abomination. 

Foxindebox

:D

GenTLe
12 hours ago, proanti said:

Can any advise by these pictures if i should jump at it,try to knock down or run a mile?

3.jpg

This is a trash rep... The whole movement is fake, that's not a real chronograph (just look at the subdial compared to the real one):

23659860-nzfsgwqb3e0yjt2c2vukn2yt-ExtraL

REALLY good reps of this have 316L steel case, sapphire crystal with antireflection coating, REAL chronograph movement inside and are nearly indistinguishable from the gen one (also considering the genuine has the same chrono movement of the rep, inside).

And, priced accordingly... Around 400$ (which is still a great price for a watch like that, regardless of the branding, just considering materials, movement and so on).

This specific one isn't around anymore now, but something comparable (and available) is here:

https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_193&products_id=26020

Take care, that's quite a big watch, if your wrist is 19cm and up it's ok. If it's 16.5cm, you'd better to look at something with a smaller case, like max 41mm (this one is a 44mm).