Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

Latest version Pam 005 may have QC issues too....

kolchak

Recently got the lastest Pam 005 from Mary - not sure what "version" it is or what factory makes it, so I'm not sure what to call it. Anyway, I opened CG guard and the stem/crown basically "sprung out. & now sit a few mm further out from case. The crown spins freely now so the watch can't be wound.

When the CG is closed, the crown gets pushed back into place and looks correct.

My vast horological knowledge leads me to believe something is F'ed up.

Can anyone say if this is something a quick visit to my local watchsmith will fix?

If so, hoping he can also fix the loud ticking of the high quality 1800 bph movmnt - unless they all do this? Not sure if these pics are helpful to diagnose, but here's what it looks like now -

IMAG1139.jpg

IMAG1138.jpg

gottahaverolex

My friend, this is an easy fix and it seems that the majority of these new pams have this issue upon arrival. Open the case back and you will see the stem set screw right beside the spot that the stem goes into the movement. It was probably loose when it arrived and the stem just pulled out. Push it in just a mm so that the first notch in the stem is into the movement then tighten down the set screw and the stem should snap in as it engages the keyless works, done. The loud ticking is par for the course with the low beat 6497. Learn to love it or swap with a quieter high beat if you can't stand it.

OH! forgot to mention that you don't want to loosen the stem set screw more than 1 1/2 turns or it will fall out and screw up the keyless works. Most of the new 6497's I've received lately have actually stopped turning at about a turn and 1/4 to keep this from happening but I would still be careful!

wat44

I have updated my signature now!

gottahaverolex

LOL! NICE Wat!

kolchak

Love it. Can I get a credit, foot note or something?

kolchak
My friend, this is an easy fix and it seems that the majority of these new pams have this issue upon arrival. Open the case back and you will see the stem set screw right beside the spot that the stem goes into the movement. It was probably loose when it arrived and the stem just pulled out. Push it in just a mm so that the first notch in the stem is into the movement then tighten down the set screw and the stem should snap in as it engages the keyless works, done. The loud ticking is par for the course with the low beat 6497. Learn to love it or swap with a quieter high beat if you can't stand it.

OH! forgot to mention that you don't want to loosen the stem set screw more than 1 1/2 turns or it will fall out and screw up the keyless works. Most of the new 6497's I've received lately have actually stopped turning at about a turn and 1/4 to keep this from happening but I would still be careful!

Thanks for the detailed explanation GHR. Sounds easy enough but still not sure I'm qualified for even this.

Do all the H factory Pams have this same 6497 movement?

If it's oiled or cleaned do you know if the ticking subsides even slightly? Last I saw, you'd ordered new movements for your H factory peices - were they all swapped out sucessfully?

thanks again

Bato
My vast horological knowledge leads me to believe something is F'ed up.

^ THISSSSSSS HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG, so I am reading and I get to this and I almost choked on my cough drop :)

gottahaverolex

Thanks for the detailed explanation GHR. Sounds easy enough but still not sure I'm qualified for even this.

Do all the H factory Pams have this same 6497 movement?

If it's oiled or cleaned do you know if the ticking subsides even slightly? Last I saw, you'd ordered new movements for your H factory peices - were they all swapped out sucessfully?

thanks again

Hey bud, yes all the H factory stuff is either the first run non-platinum bridged version or the newer platinum bridged version. It seems the new platinum bridged low beats are a bit better movement though because I didn't have issues with any of them, luckily. I did swap my open case back models with the high beats from Mary but I left one of the new low beats in my 177M V2 because it has been running strong. All were swapped without any issues at all except I was careless with my 177M V1 and scratched the dial because I didn't use a dial protector, a mistake I will not make again. If you want me to take a look at the watch for you I'd be happy to do it for free. I can even do the movement swap if you want a high beat put in, again for free ( I just love working on watches!). I do have one left that's brand new, I was gonna keep it for when one of the H factory movements dies but I may consider letting it go if you'd really like the swap done.

As for the ticking, I don't really think servicing them changes the tick at all but I can't say for sure that I really noticed. Some of mine are serviced and some are not and they all pretty much sound the same. To be honest you can still hear the high beats tick just not quite as loud.

gottahaverolex

Here's a pick of the 177m v1 I swapped. Water proofed while I had it apart and swam in the ocean with it all last week! I have since waterproofed all my non chrono pams and all have been successful :)

4fcdec35.jpg

Dendo
Here's a pick of the 177m v1 I swapped. Water proofed while I had it apart and swam in the ocean with it all last week! I have since waterproofed all my non chrono pams and all have been successful :)

4fcdec35.jpg

Nice job mate!

kolchak
Hey bud, yes all the H factory stuff is either the first run non-platinum bridged version or the newer platinum bridged version. It seems the new platinum bridged low beats are a bit better movement though because I didn't have issues with any of them, luckily. I did swap my open case back models with the high beats from Mary but I left one of the new low beats in my 177M V2 because it has been running strong. All were swapped without any issues at all except I was careless with my 177M V1 and scratched the dial because I didn't use a dial protector, a mistake I will not make again. If you want me to take a look at the watch for you I'd be happy to do it for free. I can even do the movement swap if you want a high beat put in, again for free ( I just love working on watches!). I do have one left that's brand new, I was gonna keep it for when one of the H factory movements dies but I may consider letting it go if you'd really like the swap done.

That is a mighty generous offer & impressive you've learned to switch out movements!

This site has caused my full blown rep/strap addiction & taught me a lot but taking apart all the little bits & pieces inside the pretty case won't happen in this lifetime......shit, I feel good when a strap change goes smoothly.

My watchsmith is very rep friendly so I'll have him check it out next week, and good to know it's a minor fix.

If the loud ticking is a price of admission I'll live with it. Selling your last extra mvmnt would only cause one of your good ones to explode - thanks again but maybe Mary would probably selll me a replacement if this one is trashed.