OlympusDaytona

Rep vs. Gen Speedmaster Photos

OlympusDaytona

Hi RWG! Finally got my original forum account back so feel free to snoop around my post history on @olympusdaytona8 to see the other pocket watch conversions.

So I had been on a pocket watch kick for bit and couldn't justify cutting up a gen service mid-case to house a gen Speedy in a pocket watch case.

Enter replica watches. I picked this up from @G_sus off our M2M with the sole intent on converting it, but before I cut into things, I might as well show it off!

This isn't really a fair comparison since my 2018 gen is a much newer style, but the glaring dial spacing problem that reps have are even more obvious next to a gen:

H2DL6X.jpeg
H2DhFI.jpeg
H2DA2c.jpeg
H2DKl4.jpeg

• Like 2

G_sus

Looking forward to seeing how my old piece has a new lease of life with a new owner :)

GingerApple

I'm not sure Speedy 'Reps' deserve the name. Why can't they replicate the fecking thing properly! So fugly. Hopefully the proportions look better in the pocket watch.

OlympusDaytona
2 hours ago, GingerHuw said:

I'm not sure Speedy 'Reps' deserve the name. Why can't they replicate the fecking thing properly! So fugly. Hopefully the proportions look better in the pocket watch.

Right!? I'd be ok with an extra plate sitting over the movement to just relocate the subdials but I guess they must have tried and failed otherwise it would have been done by now?

SamiJ

Has anyone had one of these. If so, what was it like owning one?

OlympusDaytona
24 minutes ago, SamiJ said:

Has anyone had one of these. If so, what was it like owning one?

This rep uses the same Sea Gull ST190x movement that the vintage Rolex Daytonas use. This means that the hour chronograph hand at 6:00 will never work the way a gen does.

the rep case has nice weight in the hand but as many have said on this forum: there is no "good" Speedy rep on the market

I immediately turned mine into a pocket watch so I can't say how it wears on the wrist, but quality is what you'd expect from this tier of mid-2010's reps.

That knowledge is why my first "nice" gen was a Speedmaster

• Like 1

richarddick

The picture quality is very bad so it's a little difficult to judge, but the speedmaster on the right is a 310.30.42.50.01.001 which has a different dial to your 2018 gen.

I have a real 310.30.42.50.01.001, so I'm going to try to see issues based on your photos.

The case back is totally wrong, as the 310.30.42.50.01.001 has different text and it's printed rather than engraved.

The 90 in the tachymetre has the dot in the wrong position. It's supposed to be above the 90.

For this dial there should be PROFESSIONAL written under Speedmaster, and it should be the same width, not wider.

The sub dials are too close to the minute markings.

The minute hand is a little too short.