mabi

Tudor spring bar fu&£ up - any advise ??

mabi

So I was changing the bracelet on yet another 58 I bought this week and the guy had for some reason manage to put in larger spring bars than 20 mm so it ended by I had to saw/break one of the spring bars. It left some steel inside one of the holes - any idea how I can get this out ?

tried taking some pics but I hope you get what the problem is….

Hn4qGK.jpeg
Hn4op8.jpeg
Hn4OAv.jpeg
Hn4Y81.jpeg

fatarms

Might be able to dip that lug in some ice water for a few minutes to make the metal contract,  might be easier to wedge it out with a pin inside it? 

Where's @Popperini when you need him...

• Like 1

GingerApple

Oooh, I see the problem and I know just what you have to do.

You need to ask our trusted member Popperini what he'd do. Get him to give you step-by-step, really detailed instructions. Then read those instructions very carefully so that you understand them perfectly - there's no room for error in the next step. Once you've done that and you're totally sure of what he's saying, do the EXACT opposite.

• Like 1

NCRich

I would try a dental pick first.  If that doesn't work I would use a 1.5 or .6 mm drill bit very slowly and carefully.  Not trying to drill it out, just dislodge it.

SteveA

GT 85 or WD 40 ,let it soak in then use a bracelet pin remove,either tap it out manually or use the screw in type .Dont try anything from the inside of the lug,work only from the outside

Popperini
21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

GT 85 or WD 40 ,let it soak in then use a bracelet pin remove,either tap it out manually or use the screw in type .Dont try anything from the inside of the lug,work only from the outside

That's what I'd do. My immediate thought, on seeing a watch with solid lugs, was, "I'd drill that out - from the OUTSIDE IN."

Theduke.williams

use a toothpick cut to about 10 or 15 mm , you may need to shave the ends ro reduce the diameter to close to that of the stuck pin, but the very tip needs to be flat.

Then using a TINY dot of super glue, offer up to the cut end of the spring bar.

Allow it to set, then hopefully it will pull out.

You do not want to use so much glue that it will flood into the hole by capillary action, otherwise you'll never get it out.

• Like 1

deju
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

That's what I'd do. My immediate thought, on seeing a watch with solid lugs, was, "I'd drill that out - from the OUTSIDE IN."

eminem-now-this-looks-like-a-job-for-me.

• Like 1

mabi

Thanks guys - I know if I am gonna go drilling this outside in I am only gonna mess up the hole case - gonna try to use the toothpick tonight to start and see what the leaves me.

FudgyDocker

Such a shame that you sawed right against the lug. Makes it 20 times more difficult to extract. I'd go with @NCRich idea, and use a new HSS 1.5mm bit (with your fingers, not in a drill) to try and grab the pin and rotate it. 

Popperini

Okay, so maybe I misunderstood what SteveA was suggesting (and wouldn't that be a surprise!). but my comment about drilling from the outside in was meant to be a joke... As in, solid lugs... no way to drill from the outside.

FudgyDocker
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

about drilling from the outside in was meant to be a joke... As in, solid lugs... no way to drill from the outside

Yeah, I got it. If it was that easy, you'd just be able to use a small punch and pop it out from the outside!

• Like 1

SteveA
6 hours ago, Popperini said:

Silly me I didn’t look I thought they were drilled lugs - but they could be soon muhahaha

• Like 1

mabi
37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Silly me I didn’t look I thought they were drilled lugs - but they could be soon muhahaha

haha yeah I thought about doing it but i´m likely to make it a lot worse !:S

GenTLe

I would try to see (on another spring bar far from the watch) if those are attracted by magnets.

If so I'll put the watch into hack position and try with a neodinium magnet to get the bit in there (unless it's really stuck).

And then put the watch in the demagnetizing tool.

If it's stuck... Dentist sharp tool like this:

51eRzn6ZoqL.jpg

Philiusmaximus

Gaffer tape and a hammer. Solves most issues 

mabi

Thanks guys  for all the advice - got my self a really small diamond drill and it´s like new ! :D

kennycoder

I'd use a strong magnet :) (with movement removed)