Aramis2288

Submariner Starbucks - Gen vs Super Rep

Aramis2288

Hi all!

I just found another interesting and very detailed comparison between gen and (probably VSF) submariner Starbucks.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Reacher01

Yeah I have both a gen and a rep of this watch, like anyone with an half respectable watch collection.

This video surprised me because my gen has the blue reflection on the date magnifier, and my VSF rep doesn't.

Btw, if I would have to legit check a sub today, I would go by tactile and auditory clues, rather than looks alone.

You can swap the hands and crystal on rep, but the way a gen rotor sounds and they way screwing down a gen crown feels is completely different.

• Like 1

GingerApple

Good video. I wasn't aware of the clasp hook/solder thing. Just reaffirms that Gens aren't remotely worth it (for me).

• Like 1

Reacher01
1 minute ago, GingerJesus said:

Good video. I wasn't aware of the clasp hook/solder thing. Just reaffirms that Gens aren't remotely worth it (for me).

lol my gen Submariner is now worth 3k or 4k more than what I paid for it.

It's funny how people still say that gen a Rolex is not worth the money.

Redfire1066

I enjoyed that video . . . :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus
1 hour ago, Reacher01 said:

It's not considering the quality of the watch you get for the money. Other brands offer far more for less. But people are suckers for brand appeal and that's where Rolex dominates 

• Like 2

Reacher01
3 minutes ago, Philiusmaximus said:

It's not considering the quality of the watch you get for the money. Other brands offer far more for less. But people are suckers for brand appeal and that's where Rolex dominates 

How many Rolex watches do you own? What quality issues are you referring to, in particular?

All my Rolexes have been flawless, to date.

Aramis2288
This guy has a few more that are worth attention in my opinion.

Some time ago I posted his comparison of the Rolex GMT movement Vs the "clone", which to my surprise happened not to be a clone after all...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/171327-rolex-gmt-master-inside-of-the-clone-movement/&share_tid=171327&share_fid=77561&share_type=t&link_source=app

Rolex GMT Master - inside of the clone movement

Aramis2288

I think we have to distinguish two things.

1. Is a Rolex watch worth buying over a rep with regards to a quality vs price difference is one topic.

2. Is a Rolex watch worth buying for a retail price as an investment asset is a different cup of tea.

Answers to both questions will always be highly subjective and depending on each individual. For me, 1 - no, 2 - absolutely yes.

Philiusmaximus

3. Is the retail price of a Rolex worth it for what you get. For me no.

But yes each to their own 

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Reacher01 said:

I mean for what it intrinsically is, rather than as an investment.

Redfire1066

Definetly worth the cost it is to make it . ...  

Pimpolino

I am interested in purchasing a sub. It seems that VSF and Clean F are similarly priced. 

What would be better to get?

Aramis2288
I am interested in purchasing a sub. It seems that VSF and Clean F are similarly priced. 

What would be better to get?
I would go for VSF. Far better crystal in my opinion

denimhead

Being an older member on the forums, I was lucky enough to have experienced owning various  4 digit sports models during the late 1980s/early 1990s. All now long gone. We're talking about 5513 subs changing hands for about 500 quid.

The brand has changed massively in terms of perception and the fact that they were normally bought as daily wearing "tool" watches.

For me personally Rolex isn't a brand I'd wear anymore, it's gone from being the above to a status symbol jewellery brand. That's why I guess the reps are so in demand.

No commercial diver these days would wear a modern submariner on their wrist.  It would be like putting a shiny lure on your arm and waiting for something large to bite it off.

The really sad thing is that I think the majority of people will always think " I bet it's a fake" 

The perception of showing your wealth has really changed here in the UK. 

A mate of mine currently owns a 16110 sub, the 43mm 50th anniversary red seadweller and just recently bought a Starbucks. He doesn't wear any of them here in the UK. Only when  he's off to Dubai. There just investment prices. We don't see eye to eye on this at all!