Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Apogäum Chronograph

JohnG

Got this cheapy today in the mail. I have been trying out some cheap homages and in my browsing I came across this weird thing on eBay. If you spend time (lots of time) you will ocassionally find something interesting in all the cheap junk the Chinese have flooded eBay with...

The Watch - Apogäum Chronograph

Homage? I am not sure what the hell it is, but I kind of liked it, but before I could buy it the seller became "unregistered." His feedback was good, don't know what happened. Anyway, found seller's contact info googling "apogäum", named Eddie Kong, contacted him, he sold it it to me for $73 plus $15 shipping.

His reputation in the gen forums is spotty - but only for the quality of the watches (many are cheap mechanical knockoffs). Since I didn't see one single complaint about non-delivery, and the movement was quartz, I decided to risk it. Watch came very quickly (one week), well packaged, in a decent wood presentation box.

The case is 47mm of machined billet stainless steel, nice and heavy, 24mm lugs, mineral crystal, pushers are recessed as is crown, functioning chronograph, crisp dial printing and nice layout. The bezel is fixed. Lume is okay for about ten seconds after charging. :D

Strap is supposedly leather (the inside liner is, outside I am not sure) but since they say, "the strap makes the watch" I have already ordered a chocolate strap from Gorilla straps for this watch (though it may end up on a Seiko BFS that I just ordered). The strap I have ordered is also pictured below, pic courtesy of Gorilla straps and unknown Pam owner.

Anyway, I love the case and the dial design, and since it is not a copy (and not even a homage or knockoff I think), who cares if it is quartz? With a nice strap (either the Gorilla or something else) it will be a keeper I think...

Anyway, onto the pics...

Imagen011.jpg

Imagen014.jpg

Imagen001.jpg

Imagen006.jpg

Wristies

Imagen002.jpg

Imagen004.jpg

"Fist Wristy" - never understood these, but they are popular so here's mine:

Imagen012.jpg

Okay, now imagine THIS:

Imagen005.jpg

Wearing THIS strap:

3126884995_8b43a4ef77_o.jpg

Strap will cost more than the watch, but should be a nice combo.... :clap:

That's it folks.

alphakazi

not too shabby there John - nice design - has an AP look to it

theflyingdutchman

Nice! Where does this strap come from? And what did it cost?

greg_r

Looks pretty good on the wrist - love that Gorilla strap you've ordered, though :lol:

JohnG

Nice! Where does this strap come from? And what did it cost?

The strap is from Gorilla Straps - he has a section on RepGeek. Cost for this one is $85 shipped. Wait time about two months (he is popular and makes the straps in his free time - this is not his full time job).

I placed order a week ago, so only have to wait another... seven weeks! :lol:

I may order another (different) strap from him. I have a Seiko coming that needs a 24mm strap too. And then there is the Thousands of Feet homage that needs a 26mm strap, oh, and the..... oh boy... I am in trouble....

greg_r
I may order another (different) strap from him. I have a Seiko coming that needs a 24mm strap too. And then there is the Thousands of Feet homage that needs a 26mm strap, oh, and the..... oh boy... I am in trouble....

:lol::rofl::rofl:

I'm not sure which is worse - the watches or the straps. I'm gonna hafta buy a couple from Gunny before long - just love the look of his Caitlin 2 strap...

JohnG

I am starting to look for cheapy straps - Getatwatch has just added some nice ones... Find them on the bay once in a while - good values... and used ones in the forums... I bought a cool hand made one for my 35 euro pam I bought a long time ago, for 35 dollars...

greg_r
I am starting to look for cheapy straps - Getatwatch has just added some nice ones... Find them on the bay once in a while - good values... and used ones in the forums... I bought a cool hand made one for my 35 euro pam I bought a long time ago, for 35 dollars...

I just ordered a couple from an eBay seller I haven't seen before. Straps look pretty good on the listing - if they turn out okay, I'll post details here...

trailboss99

Oke watch, nice strap and surprisingly nice box!

Col.