semperfi55

Recovering from Burnout + Christmas Holiday Watches

semperfi55

It's been a while! Work and personal life have been crazy for the past 18 months, where work and watch hobby burnouts coincided :blowup: Not a good combination. 

On returning here last month, it's heartwarming to see many familiar usernames still and Ginger shenanigans. A bit quieter than before though, and no more posts asking about the legendary R-Factory churning out AAA+ Rolex reps.

In the long term, taking a break from watch-related social media certainly helped me maintain my interest in the hobby. Although I have not been posting, I am still acquiring and building watches, just at a much slower pace. I don't have much say, but here are the watches I took with me for the week-long Christmas break. Whenever I make a travel selection, nearly always half of them would be some form of Rolex. The collection has become quite Daytona-heavy...

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin 205.086 SVF

Mesmerising "Aventurine" dial, but hands legibility can be a problem at certain angles. I look at the watch more to admire the dial than check the time anyway.

HSt5sD.jpeg

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 16202 ZF

Rose gold case with the blue/grey dial. It is a stunning watch but difficult to photograph the beauty of the fiume dial.

The rep movement mimics the lack of quickset date in the older gen 15202, but the newer gen 16202 has the updated movement with quickset date :facepalm:. I bought the rep despite this.

HStLKs.jpeg

Breguet 7057

I don't seem to buy watches to read the time.

HSthBn.jpeg

Dubey & Schaldenbrand Rattrapante Chronograph

I've showcased this to death before- vintage rattrapante chrono, what's not to like?

HStqUW.jpeg

MB&F Legacy Machine Split Escapement

High dome, nightmare to photograph.

HStaqo.jpeg

Nomos Tangente Neomatik 39 Midnight Blue

I missed the boat on the Ahoi Atlantik a few years back, and always regretted it. Then this popped up on Aliexpress, looks close enough to the one that got away. Diameter is spot on but case is thicker than gen. Looks decent for USD90 though!

HStmbP.jpeg

Oris Jumping Hour

Stunning guilloche!
HStWDk.jpeg

Patek Philippe World Timer 5131J

Inspired by @_DC_'s effort

Repainted map, redone hour ring and city ring

Wish I bought them in steel and rose gold when they were available- I love collecting sets.

HStiTJ.jpeg

Richard Mille RM055 Yas Marina Circuit Edition ZF

The descent into madness and depravity accelerated after I bought the RM055 in Dec 2022, turns out I like small vintage watches and RMs. 

HStK5E.jpeg

Richard Mille RM035-2 ZF V5

It's the most recent one with thinner case. It is slightly bigger than the RM055, but still at the limits of wearable for 6.5 inch wrist.

HSt3b2.jpeg

Seiko Presage Fuyugeshiki SSA385J1

Grand Seiko on the cheap.

HStIBS.jpeg

Swatch Uranus Moonswatch

Finally managed to find them in stock for my birthday last year.

HSte9Y.jpeg

Swatch Pluto Moonswatch

"I only like a few colours, I'm not collecting the whole set. Promise!"
HSt2R3.jpeg

Rolex Pile

Datejust 16220

HStpRc.jpeg

Day-Date 18238

All raffles +Gen dial. My first ever Raffles project. Such an unnecessarily painful experience.

HStPhX.jpeg

6239 "Yacht-Master" Prototype

JKF+Phong dial

HSt9s8.jpeg

6239 Prototype Dial -Purple

Based off a blue prototype dial seen on RPR website. I bought the dial from Phong, only to find it rather purple. It still looked pretty. I thought this was the end of the journey for the "blue" prototype dial. The purple lizard strap from a different M2M sale was perfect for the dial colour.
HSt19R.jpeg

6239 Blue Prototype Dial

Then I realise Phong actually do sell a bluer dial. This looks closer to the "gen" on RPR. These 2 are insanely difficult to photograph with my iPhone. It looks great in person but never looks good in wristshots.
HStyhL.jpeg

6240 Neanderthal

When I think reference 6240, I think this particular watch. I have thought about this one since 2019 when I bought my first JKF Paul Newman. Apart from the actual 6239 Paul Newman, I thought this was the perfect Paul Newman dial configuration. Imagine my amusement when Perezscope later debunked the authenticity of the legendary "Neanderthal"... Ah well, it is still aesthetically pleasing.

Viet dial+Phong's Mk0 pushers. Such a nightmare to install. Never again.

HSt6ZK.jpeg

6263 Oyster Sotto/RCO Dial

At this point, the term "grail" is pointless. All these dials were "grail" to me at some point.

It is satisfying to see "Oyster" on the bottom row, instead of middle. Please send help.
HStORQ.jpeg

6263 Arabian Knight

The auctioneers sure have colourful names for these dial variations.

HStrX1.jpeg

6263 Pan-Am Dial

First seen on RPR website, the author there "found" it on a 6263 standard black bezel but then switched it to a blue bezel, which I do agree complements the dial well. 

No idea if Rolex actually made this, it looks good anyway.

In my head, Pan-Am = GMT = Jubilee bracelet.
HSt8qv.jpeg

6263 Champagne Dial

HStQU4.jpeg

Very fortunate to acquire this masterpiece. 
HSttxj.jpeg

Daytona 116595RBOW

I think my standards slipped once I got this watch. All sorts of bling started coming in after. Gateway bling.

HStTni.jpeg

Daytona 116588TBR 

"I like it for the craftsmanship. Honest! I'm not like those other shallow, vapid types." :rolleyes:
HStlQI.jpeg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the break in London, I also managed to buy the "Moon" Moonswatch, which will be a gift to my Dad when I see him later this month. He has the gen, but prefers the plastic rep, go figure :rolleyes:

Swatch Moonswatch

HStXsb.jpeg

Thanks for reading.

Anyway, so hello again! :D 

• Like 4

GingerApple

Who are you?

Nice watches mind you! How did you get that real diamond bling machine the 6270. That's one of two isn't it?

NCRich

Wondered who let you escape from the asylum. Nice stuff as always and great to see you again. 

semperfi55
28 minutes ago, GingerJesus said:

Who are you?

I'm not sure anymore

29 minutes ago, GingerJesus said:

That's one of two isn't it?

Right place right time. One of the owners approached me to buy one of my Patek reps, at one point I mentioned how I still think about the 6270 at night, then he mentioned the other owner is looking for a buyer. Could not believe my luck. 

25 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Wondered who let you escape from the asylum.

I'm still there, Rich. They let me out for Christmas due to staff shortage. I went back because the rest of my watches are still there.

rm65453

Amazing collection brother!

• Like 1

fatarms

The Dubey and blue prototype are sweet.  Good to see you again.

• Like 1

Jasonbaylee

Pristine collection! Thank you for sharing

• Like 1

Mystery Shopper

Nice to see you again. Is the Daytona 116595RBOW like the one Mrs SFA used to have?

• Like 1

GenTLe

Ehi! Welcome back! :)

PS: which are gen and which reps of those?

• Like 1

Redfire1066

Nice pieces …. I am liking the 6263 PanAm dial … 

• Like 1

onzenuub

Fucking noob.

• Like 2

Horace Derwent

@semperfi55: This board missed you, man !

Some pieces are sensational, the Dubey & Schalderan (where did you manage to find it :baby::D?), the 5131J, and of course the mighty 6270 !

Respect ! :thud:

• Like 1

semperfi55
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Nice to see you again. Is the Daytona 116595RBOW like the one Mrs SFA used to have?

Thanks! Who's that?

9 hours ago, GenTLe said:

which are gen and which reps of those?

Thanks! :) 

Gens: Moonswatches, Dubey & Schaldenbrand, Oris, Seiko, Datejust

9 hours ago, Redfire1066 said:

Nice pieces …. I am liking the 6263 PanAm dial … 

Rubyswatch sells them

7 hours ago, onzenuub said:

Fucking noob.

Can only do several months rotations in this place max

1 hour ago, Horace Derwent said:

@semperfi55: This board missed you, man !

Some pieces are sensational, the Dubey & Schalderan (where did you manage to find it :baby::D?), the 5131J, and of course the mighty 6270 !

Respect ! :thud:

Cheers mate :D 

Learnt about the Dubey from the youtuber The Urban Gentry, he does shine a spotlight on some interesting pieces from time to time. Bought mine on Chrono24 a few years ago.

Edited by semperfi55
  • Like 1

rm65453

Don't think rubyswatch is a TD here. Couldn't find their info.