TudorWearingWanker

GDF 126234 Datejust 36: Review

TudorWearingWanker

Review regarding GDF Datejust 36mm with flutted bezel, jubilee bracelet and dial, and diamond hour markers. This is emulating reference 126234. Movement: latest genuine Miyota 8215 complete with hand winding and hacking.

Hx2UNS.jpeg

The jubilee dial is beautiful. Considering the price paid, remarkable quality. Printing is flat and decent, and is expected with this tier of rep. "ROLEX" and "DATEJUST" sit a tad too low within the rectangles, but me and the TD agreed this acceptable. And this is an issue on all available units. Not noticeable to the naked eye. Alignment seems good. Hands are aligned. Rehaut engravings are decent. Dust or debris appears absent from dial and under crystal. Some of these gen jubilee dials have "SWISS MADE" along with the crown at the 6. Others have just "SWISS MADE." The remaining variants do not have "SWISS MADE" at the 6. Depends on year of production. Overall, the frontal view is good.

Hx2aKQ.jpeg

Wrist shot. Wrist: 6.25. 36mm wide. 11.8mm thick. 20mm lug with a full taper to 16mm. 18mm wide clasp. 6mm screw down crown. With these midsize dimensions, coupled with not having any sharp spots, it wears well. Nice heft.

Hx2i9L.jpeg

Whilst the case of the watch is good, the bracelet is the weak point. For whatever reason, highlighted by a red circle shows there's a hole for what appears to be a screw. I'm not sure why this was overlooked, but it is hidden by the clasp once closed.

Hx2mMR.jpeg

As you can see highlighted within the red circle, one screw is larger than all the other screws. Strange, but not a huge issue. Especially since this is an affordable rep. Possibility: clasp and bracelet come from different sources. Hence the difference in screw dimensions.

Hx2qD8.jpeg

Clasp is okay. It's neither too hard or easy to open – just right. Easy link is a tad difficult to extend, but works well. The Rolex crown on clasp and laser engravings inside the clasp are all decent.

Hx2IqK.jpeg

Caseback looks okay. Endlinks are fitted nicely to the case. Nice, snug fit, as you can clearly see here. Highlighted within the red circle: 18k hallmark. This should not be present on this reference, but like other small issues, it's easily overlooked considering the price.

Hx2Yb1.jpeg

Therein the case is a genuine Miyota 8215. This is the latest refined 8215, meaning unlike the older movements, it hacks and there's no stutter with the seconds hand. Timegrapher shows an accuracy of +4 to +5 daily, which is more than acceptable with a Miyota 8215. Healthy amplitude. No beat error. Easy to service and regulate. Cheap to replace. Movement is held in place with metal screw down tabs, not plastic. Quick-set date, hacking, and hand winding all function decently.

Silicone grease was applied to gasket, prolonging life and helping to maintain WR. Silicone grease was also applied to the crown tube, because it is a tad gritty. It screws down and unscrews well. I'm sure the action will get better with time. Crown has no clutch.

Hx29B4.jpeg

Removing the bracelet reveals no engravings between the lugs.

Hx2nRI.jpeg

Removing the bracelet reveals there are no engravings on the solid end links. Also, we can clearly see the sketchy workmanship here. As mentioned, the bracelet is the weakest point of the watch.

Overall, I am happy. It's a beautiful watch. So long as you're not looking for a rep to have almost everything correct, I recommend GDF. Affordable. And the biggest positive to me: reliable Japanese Miyota movement. Sure, it's 3hz or 21,600 BPH, but I'm not wearing this to pass off as gen. Just a little toy to enjoy around the house.

It was a pleasure to do business with TheOneWatches. And I will be doing business again.

To the founder(s) and staff, and to whoever helped compile a great list of TDs, coupled with contributing a lot of useful information on this forum, thank you.

Edited by TudorWearingWanker
spelling corrections; corrections concerning rep accuracy
  • Like 1