Pesman

Would you buy a complete collection??

Pesman

Morning. Putting this in here initially as I suspect it will cause least controversy.

MODS This is NOT a covert pitch mods, just a cry for help! 1 watch, 1 wrist, no self-restraint but no guilt!

The recent "Job Lot" M2M post ironically overlapped with my potentially thinking about my exiting my 10 year watch mining adventure in a simplistic blaze of glory by putting up my entire remaining collection up for sale in one go; but does that appeal?

It would allow me to properly "cut the cord" as I find it next to impossible to stop buying and selling. I liken it to pulling off a plaster - better one big rip than the painful 'hair by hair' slow pull. Plus a lot less admin! Look at my recent attempt to reduce to 12! I've spent nearly £2k on my latest obsession since then....Since my stroke and subsequent financial implosion, the guilt over my inability to not buy has removed virtually all the joy of choosing my daily watch. I guess I've lost the love...if not the hunger/addiction of the box opening.

Obviously you'd have to hope your taste appeals and you have to offer the instant collection (about 30 watches) at a substantial saving and eat the loss. (But, to be honest, I could give them away and lose less than I lost on a single gen last year when things were at there worst). It would also have to include all straps, etc...what the buyer did is up to them...enjoy...flip...

So there it is .... would you? Or is it just not what we want on here..?

And,more importantly, when does watch collecting stop being fun? When your broke I guess!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

splke

M2ms  almost always look better as individual sales you could post em all and offer a mighty discount if taken as a collection 

• Like 2

Wires

As @splke says unless you offer a big discount I think you will struggle to move them on as a whole, I would at least separate the reps out of them and sell those separately and the rest as a job lot. Good luck with whatever you go with

• Like 1

Piccolo

You’ll take a huge hit as a job lot,  if I was buying I’d be basing my valuation on the say 5 out of 20 that I actually wanted - and only looking to pay for those. 

• Like 1

Pesman

Agree on the hit. Like I say given how much I lost last year having to off load gens rapidly (About £20k) that may be outweighed by the relief of money in hand and the watches / guilt gone.

I've just totalled the 28 up and it's about £3.5k of spend!

It's a weird / sad one...I should love the new-look, diver heavy, homage-heavy, mix...but financial guilt in a time of financial need is a killer and sucks the joy from it. I cannot simply unspend the money. But if someone walked up to me and said "I'll give you a grand for that lot mate" I'd bite their hand off... but is that just guilt??? Suppose gamblers get the same? Is giving the collection away equally stupid??

Would help if the bank weren't such heartless bustards!!

FYI here's the collection.....you'll recognise many of them...

e51869b9a834813c26f361be66c16f1f.jpg

It won't be a knee-jerk...I like them too much...and I have 2 more inbound!

Redfire1066

@Pesman … I understand the administration of selling …. that task  of selling many watches individually.  I ask you, do you get as much of a kick, moving a watch on …. selling a watch on as you did buying it? ….. .. knowing why you bought it in the first place and that the buyer is getting a good one.  Also, there are many online outlets for selling watches onwards to new owners.  

FudgyDocker

Buying & selling watches is a distraction from what is paining in you in real life, and as long as nothing else that is more important is suffering, I can't see the harm.

However, and you would probably be the first to admit it, it gets a bit out of hand sometimes.

From a personal point of view, although it isn't from a financial standpoint, luckily, I have suffered huge weight loss from my illness and my love for big watches has had to be knocked on the head, as they are just too big on me now. However, I don't plan to put all the weight back on afterwards, as I'm now at a weight that I haven't been at for about 20 years. It's just the reason why I've lost the weight that I don't like. So I'm slowly selling off the stuff that's over 43mm as my optimal size is now 41mm to 43mm. Some I can't sell, as they have little issues with them and need repair, but that may change in the future once I've had a chance to have them looked at. 

However, apart from one of them, I can't bring myself to sell any of my Bretlings. I think that they are 'my brand', and ones that I've spent money on for gen straps etc. Good luck with whatever you do, but I don't think any of us can ever see you getting out of the game completely. The selling and delivery of a new watch is always a buzz, no matter where you get the watch from, and if you need that little buzz to get through life, then so be it. But like any addiction, whether it be gambling, smoking, or watch collecting, you do have to put on your sensible hat sometimes and not listen to your 'monkey brain' that tells you otherwise.  

• Like 2

Piccolo

If you’ve spent that much on those watches in a short space of time the financial need can’t be that great… and if it is, and you still have - then you need to give your head a little shake (and maybe go talk to a professional)  

As @FudgyDocker said - they are a distraction from a more real pain, and maybe it would be better to solve that than use watches as a sticking plaster. 

Pesman

So, for now, common sense prevails.

What is also clear that when you move to homages, you won't sell them on here!