alan36

Watch stops constantly

alan36

Hi,

I have a 20-30 years old Breitling rep that my father has just given me. It is an automatic as I have had the back off. When I move the watch it works for a couple of seconds and then stops. I don't think there is a winder on it as when I pop the crown out it just adjusts the time. Is this something that can be fixed easily and cheaply?

BadPickle

is it a screw down crown, maybe try winding it before you pop out the crown

• Like 1

GenTLe
52 minutes ago, alan36 said:

Hi,

I have a 20-30 years old Breitling rep that my father has just given me. It is an automatic as I have had the back off. When I move the watch it works for a couple of seconds and then stops. I don't think there is a winder on it as when I pop the crown out it just adjusts the time. Is this something that can be fixed easily and cheaply?

Reps back then were light-years away from the good ones we have today, so don't expect good movements in those. The really good ones started to appear when ETA clone movements came out, and it was around 2012/13, or when real Miyota 9015 became also used (and Citizen made that movement in 2009 and only around 2016 started to be used into reps, with the PP Nautilus and the AP 15400).

Also consider that all mechanical watches need maintenance: the oils (fundamental to lubricate the movement, in very TINY amount and given in very specific places only!) in 20 years dry out and make the movement behave like yours. To fix that, providing the movement is not broken or worn-out, a service is needed, and that is something that a professional spends at least 4 hours to do and that requires to completely disassemble the movement, clean it well and reassemble it with the proper oils (check out "nekkid watchmaker" on you tube for reference). That's why Rolex asks >600$ for a full revision (of a basic watch, not a chronograph).

SO...

If that watch has a big value for you, you can then see if there's the possibility to replace the movement inside with a new one (if that specific movement is still around and can be purchased new), because a service is probably just a loss of money. Or, eventually, go over it and get a new replica as now the quality (if you select the right producers) is WAAAAAAAY better, in terms of material, movements, fidelity to the gen etc etc.

Rokerite

I had a rep doing the same, sent it off to Rolie and he said the movement was "as dry as sticks", he oiled it and it was as good as new. Sounds like yours is the same. 

alan36

How much did he charge if you don't mind me asking?