Callumz

Advice on screw removal

Callumz

hi guys 

just took delivery of a lovely vsf no date sub from Mary - all was going fine till I went to size the bracelet and one of the screws is made of toffee - I’ve bastardised the link trying to get it out. Any ideas on the best way to get this out now? 

KhLoqK.jpeg

NCRich

I'd just put a pair of small vise grips on it and screw it out.  No vise grips?  Pliers.

But you really should ask @Popperini

• Like 3

Redfire1066

Remove the bracelet from the watch head before doing any more work. .  Soak the bracelet in warm water.   Protect your bracelet with tape around the area you are working on. Ensure all parts of that link are  as aligned, flush with each other as is practically possible for minimal resistance.  Attach mole grips or use a small pair of pliers to remove the screw … you may have to work it gently in both directions to loosen.  Looks like it doesn’t have far to travel.  
Always use the correct fitting size driver for the screw … not smaller.   Sometimes, not always …. the screws threads have a bond on them to help secure the screw.  Why? Because it is only friction that is keeping it tight.  Hence soaking in warm water helps a great deal if resistance in removing is met. 

• Like 4

Popperini

Excellent shout getting me to pop by with my suggestions. When it comes to removing bracelet screws I'm almost as successful as I've proved in my many other professional watchmaking experiences. 

I agree with Rich. 

• Like 3

Redfire1066

If you are feeling frustrated at any point of the fix… just walk away and return later … it can wait :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Rokerite

@GingerJesus  is our resident expert on all things screwing :D

GingerApple

Screwing up perhaps.

Callumz

Kh5fML.jpeg

Got there in the end :) 

• Like 9

Hot Little Xixi

If you get into this situation with anything freezing up on reps ( like bracelet screws or casebacks) try using a little of that Superzilla they advertise on TV. Yes, it actually works as described. I had a rep arrive with the caseback on so friggin tight that it wouldn't budge with the Rolex caseback tool. I tried applying WD-40 around the caseback edge overnight - nothing. I then tried applying Liquid Wrench overnight- nothing. I finally tried Superzilla overnight and the next day I tried the Rolex caseback tool and there was a pop and it opened. I also had a screw in a bracelet do exactly what is in the photo and all you have to do is let some Superzilla soak in around the shaft overnight then use a good pliers ( I use a medical hemostat) to unscrew it. Not using the proper lube and just trying to unscrew it can snap it off in the bracelet because they use soft metal in those screws (ask me how I know). So as always, use proper lube when you're screwing...:giggle:

By the way, Superzilla works as a penetrant and a lubricant and I've been using it to lubricate all of the screws in my bracelets and caseback threads on all of my reps as soon as I get them to keep them from seizing up over time.

OLDBLOKE74

But the most important bit…

When you have finished put antiseptic ointment in the punched holes in your thumb and cover with lint and plasters (bandaid for our  American readers). Do not play golf for a week and swear blind that you will go blind that you are going gen next time. 

• Like 1

Hot Little Xixi

I have beautiful, perfectly painted nails and cuts and abrasions on most of my fingers from working on stuff...

Callumz
36 minutes ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

But the most important bit…

When you have finished put antiseptic ointment in the punched holes in your thumb and cover with lint and plasters (bandaid for our  American readers). Do not play golf for a week and swear blind that you will go blind that you are going gen next time. 

Sounds almost exactly like what happened! 
Have ordered a decent set of screwdrivers for the next rep I buy suspect my pound land effort wasn’t helping matters!!

McManus

I've always found that a cheap(ish) low profile bench vise or "table clamps" with the rubber arms are your best friend when it comes to these things. Way less bloodshed and a lot cleaner language usually result from it!