Helmut Wong

Panerai reps

Helmut Wong

Been out of the rep game for a while. Decided to have a look on the forum and boom -  bitten by the bug again.  ( its probably more correct to say its like a dormant illness.)

Anyway, I digress. I'm seriously considering a Panerai and have narrowed it down to two watches - The bronze pam1074 VS factory and the PAM 960 carbotech VS factory

Which one would you go for and why? 

Helmut Wong
Posted (edited)

Any suggestions lol 

Edited by Helmut Wong

summerrose

Totally different looks so go with the one you fancy more.

• Like 1

tonyh7

Personally I’d go for the bronzo, but that’s just me. Both models are 42mm so should wear ok, even on a smaller wrist. The carbotech will obvs be lighter. Never owned a carbotech myself. Anyone else who owns one like to comment on the pros and cons?

• Like 1

APjumbo

I’ve got the bronzo and really love it.

I’ve seen a few of the carbotech for resale in M2M but can’t recall the last time I saw a 42mm bronzo for resale, so either it isn’t popular to buy or it’s so good people keep them. I would guess the latter.

• Like 1

BadApple

1074 all day long. All these modern Panerais have lost their way. Ceramic, carbon and Due rubbish. 1074 is a good proper PAM. Get Mary contacted to get you one sorted. @Mary Watch

Helmut Wong

When I pull the trigger it will definitely be through Mary.

She did me proud with my fifty fathoms back in 2017. It’s been a daily beater for me. Looks brand new still and keeps time perfectly. 

Abe Fromen

I had a 960 and by all accounts the watch was an absolute cracker. The blue markers/hands just pop on the black and the carbon case is super cool. Now I will say the lume on mine was disappointing, particularly for a CA$500 rep., particularly when a $200 pam111 rep has lume for days. That's the reason I moved it and replaced it with a 1289, which I absolutely love! Blue dial/blue gloss bezel, 44mm, lume for days and days... but that's me. 

Helmut Wong
4 minutes ago, Abe Fromen said:

I had a 960 and by all accounts the watch was an absolute cracker. The blue markers/hands just pop on the black and the carbon case is super cool. Now I will say the lume on mine was disappointing, particularly for a CA$500 rep., particularly when a $200 pam111 rep has lume for days. That's the reason I moved it and replaced it with a 1289, which I absolutely love! Blue dial/blue gloss bezel, 44mm, lume for days and days... but that's me. 

out of interest did the blue markers on the bezel rub off after prolonged use? 

Abe Fromen

On the bezel? The only lumed marker on the bezel is the pip at 12, lumed green. The dial markers are 3D applied, and I talked to modders who re-lume and was told it would be very difficult/expensive to relume. The lume was okay-ish but ex: walk from bright sunshine into a dark room... lume was meh and died off quickly. My 1289, walk into dark room and it's on fire and that lume will last all night. 

Granted... this may have only been MY watch with less than great lume, but I did speak to another 960 owner who had the same experience as me. Sadly, QC pix don't show lume and don't show lume degradation over time. You pays your money, you takes your chances. 

But in every other aspect, the 960 is a fantastic watch. 

Helmut Wong

Sorry I meant the blue painted markers on the bezel. I read somewhere that they rub off. 

Abe Fromen

I had my 960 for about a year and wore it regularly... never happened to me.