RolexCollector

New Project: Rolex Explorer 1016 Tropical - Raffledials build

RolexCollector

Hello Guys, 

Back in the days i had a genuine 1601 on a Jubilee, i wear it a lot as it was my only watch, is the one who put me in watches, i later gifted that watch to my son, and now started to think about a similar size models to build.

I always love the clean look of Explorers models and the plain bezel, and decided to try to build a 1016 tropical gilt’s one after seeing various pic’s on the web. (I’m new to this kind of build but in the past worked on some of my genuine cheap vintage watch bought online, after lot of trial and errors, a lot of tools bought to repair and work on watches, i was pretty confident the project would be fun and doable for me) 

The inspiration was this one: 

K67qk3.webp

I see the different option for this kind of build, and with raise of the price of the genuine parts using a gen 16XX case was out of my budget, so i decided to order raffledials parts.

I ordered raffle 36mm case with lug holes, tropical gilt dial and hands, and a 6mm brevet crown (this are not very common nowadays but was the correct crown installed back in the 60’s) 

I then sourced a NH35 movement that has 21,600 bph (low beat that mimic better the old 1560 found in the 1016) and start my journey.

I do not want a immaculate piece’s and try to put some age to the case, i polished and repolished the case couple (still think i have to do a bit more) and put some aging signs on it.

I replaced the stock crystal with a rounded T22 i found locally in a replacement parts shop (had to enlarge a bit the inside diameter of the raffles bezel to fit as it was a bit too much larger) relumed the dial and hands with a non glowing mixture that i do myself with models paint and coffee, and spray the dial with a matte varnish.

Assembled everything together and really happy with the result. 

I will probably work a bit more on the case, i also ordered 1.2/1.25/1.3 drill bit to enlarge a bit the lug holes (but probably will use just 1.2 and 1.25 as to me 1.3 would be too much, but will see during process) but for now i’m really pleased by the outcome. 

Here some pic’s:

K67S7t.jpeg

K67b32.jpeg

K67xYE.jpeg

K67Jwn.jpeg

K67Vc3.jpeg

K67gis.jpeg

K6EDCY.jpeg

K6EZSD.jpeg

I wear on a vintage leather strap for now and waiting for a Jubilee bracelet already ordered that will be aged to match the case, that i plan to install after enlarge the lug holes with the drill bot ordered. 

Hope you guys like it, the next one will probably be an albino 1016 :)

• Like 4

karbon74

KB2WoP.jpeg

Here is my build

Raffles case, dial & bracelet, with a Sternkreuz T21 crystal and custom bezel

reshaped lugs and 1.3mm lug holes

aged dial and hands

RolexCollector
15 hours ago, karbon74 said:

KB2WoP.jpeg

Here is my build

Raffles case, dial & bracelet, with a Sternkreuz T21 crystal and custom bezel

reshaped lugs and 1.3mm lug holes

aged dial and hands

Really nice result! 
I like the custom bezel!!

• Like 1

summerrose

Hard work, pleasing results!

Congrats to both of you!

• Like 1

faskap

That looks great. Ive been wondering the internet last days and looking for info on where I can buy a build similar to this but datejust.