processengr

Trouble getting rep Rubber strap on Milgauss

processengr

As the title implies, I am having great difficulty getting a fake rubber B onto my rep Milgauss, looking for any tips/tricks to do this...would soaking in in hot water 1st help??

shinynewbling52

I'm thinking freezer might work better just to constrict the rubber a bit though that might make the rubber harder to compress.   In fact I wish I thought of that during my previous struggles with that issue.  Maybe filing or rounding the spring bar tips more or some lube on the tips.   I've used pliers to bend the spring bar ends 30 degrees or so and kind of forcing the tips in with a screw driver which is what I've had the most success with.  In almost all of my cases the spring bar ends needed to be bent towards the case and using a screw driver to push towards and into the lug holes as there was too much rubber between the case and spring bars to get into the holes.  Also I've had the best luck with the thinnest, crappiest spring bars with getting them into the holes.  The thinner, crappier the better for me in this scenario.  It's crazy to recall spending hours trying to fit a rubber strap    

• Like 2

GingerApple

Bending spring bars has worked for me too. My caveman way of doing it, as I've no tools/patience,  is to push at either end with my thumbs using a solid table edge or a door frame edge to push against - literally bending them in half (by a few degrees).

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

Is it the correct rubber b model for that model of Rolex? 

processengr
1 hour ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Is it the correct rubber b model for that model of Rolex? 

Probably not! Cheap 'Gate $87 Milgauss with 21mm wide band. AliExpress rubber B "like" band $15. (nologos) Going to try the thinnest bars I can find and bend them as advised...

Dr Fun Socks

Is it the strap thats too wide for the lugs or the spring bar wont fit between the lugs? Try the spring bar without the strap. If that fits you need to shave the sides of the strap a touch with a very sharp knife. If it doesn’t fit buy a box if various spring bar sizes for a tenner on ebay, or modify the ones you have. 

• Like 1

karbon74

You can also try using a credit card or a guitar pick to compress the springs before sliding it in one by one.

This will avoir scratching the lugs while giving some leverage to push on the rubber

• Like 1

shyreplover

So the problem is the strap too big for the lug and not because of the extra long springbar?

Nothing that Durex lube can't solve when it comes to fitment. Apply liberally.

• Like 1

deju

You just squeeze the rubber. Nothing with it being a rep, they are a tight fit. 

• Like 1

karbon74
3 hours ago, deju said:

You just squeeze the rubber. Nothing with it being a rep, they are a tight fit. 

« You just squeeze the rubber. that’s a tight fit »

That’s a life quote right there ;)

• Like 2

TanGo

Put the strap in the freezer. The rubber should shrink in a couple of hours at about -18°. Simple physics.

There is another way: soak in alcohol or acetone for about an hour or two. The rubber will expand first. After that, dry it with a hairdryer. The rubber will shrink

• Like 2

processengr

Thank you all! I will try these techniques, starting with the frozen strap trick tomorrow, when wife is not watching me :analprobe:

TanGo
26 minutes ago, processengr said:

Thank you all! I will try these techniques, starting with the frozen strap trick tomorrow, when wife is not watching me :analprobe:

One small but important clarification. If this strap has a plastic link fused in it for rigid attachment to the watch case, it is better not to soak the strap in acetone :D

• Like 1

Dr Fun Socks
2 hours ago, TanGo said:

One small but important clarification. If this strap has a plastic link fused in it for rigid attachment to the watch case, it is better not to soak the strap in acetone :D

Acetone + plastic = …

KQVllK.webp

• Like 1

processengr

53674001839_fec50d9799_b.jpg

Combo of frozen strap with very bent spring bars... Thanks all!

• Like 2

GingerApple
36 minutes ago, processengr said:

53674001839_fec50d9799_b.jpg

Combo of frozen strap with very bent spring bars... Thanks all!

And you'll have the other side finished by next week....

• Like 1

Galevin

I’m having the same problem with a rubber strap on a 116518 Rolex. Gonna try bending the spring bar or shaving the rubber a bit. Good suggestions.

Omegaman1

Try hot water make it a bit softer