thenightowl

Watches on Etsy

thenightowl

Someone is selling watches from the Philippines on Etsy that have to be reps but I can't see where the seller states that they are reps. They have a large number of Breitling Navitimer models for between $600-$900.  They're supposedly pre-2000 but all of the watches look brand new.  They seem to have other watches for sale too but I'm looking for a Navitimer so that's what came up in my search.  Should I do something or is this a caveat emptor situation? 

GingerApple
48 minutes ago, thenightowl said:

Should I do something or is this a caveat emptor situation? 

You should definitely do something.

• Like 2

thenightowl
1 hour ago, GingerApple said:

You should definitely do something.

I was leaning that direction. It would be bad if someone thought they were buying a gen or even if they figure it out, it wouldn't be good to pay top dollar rep money and get nothing or a piece of junk.   I really appreciate the reply.

FudgyDocker

You are basically on your own. No-one here can help you with that. I know what I'd do. 

thenightowl
1 hour ago, FudgyDocker said:

You are basically on your own. No-one here can help you with that. I know what I'd do. 

Could I ask you to share what you would do?

Foxindebox

100% without a doubt they are fake. If it’s too good to be true, it is…

• Like 1

Redfire1066
8 hours ago, thenightowl said:

@thenightowl   "  . . .. . ..   but I'm looking for a Navitimer so that's what came up in my search. "  

Etsy aside .. . .. .  maybe try navigating around the RWG site  .. .  if a Rep is suitable for you  .. . . . here on RWG there is an M2M: Sales Section  .. .   there is also a Trusted Dealer Section here on RWG  .. . .. .  alternatively if you are looking for a Gen Navitimer or even a Rep you could consider reaching out to members in the M2M: Wanted to buy Section    :thumbsup2:.  

• Like 1

FudgyDocker
6 hours ago, thenightowl said:

Could I ask you to share what you would do?

Run a mile...

OLDBLOKE74

I have bought rep buckles and straps from Estsy - they never say they are reps but at the price that cannot be legit. 
Any gen watch owner can walk into a watch dealer or pawn shop and get 50% of market value for cash on the day. 
So why would they sell you a Navitimer for less, and have all the hassle / commission. 

if something looks too good to be true it is. This is particularly correct where watches are concerned. 

GenTLe

Philippines are a poor country, where do you think they could possibly find good amounts of GEN watches to sell underpriced there? No way... They must be fakes.

thenightowl
4 hours ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

I have bought rep buckles and straps from Estsy - they never say they are reps but at the price that cannot be legit. 
Any gen watch owner can walk into a watch dealer or pawn shop and get 50% of market value for cash on the day. 
So why would they sell you a Navitimer for less, and have all the hassle / commission. 

if something looks too good to be true it is. This is particularly correct where watches are concerned. 

I'm an economist and get the whole "if something looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true".  That being said, people regularly fall for Ponzi schemes.  It happened to my now ex-wife's mother about 35 years ago.  I have to admit wondering at the time why she didn't ask her economist son-in-law before turning over $25K.  Don't know that I would have recognized it as a Ponzi scheme but I undoubtedly would have told her that there is a reason when someone is offering returns 15% above the market.  Moreover, I've read many posts from newbies that they came here after getting ripped off.

I spent a fair amount of time on one of the Replica Watch forum sites around fifteen years ago and find the market fascinating for a number of reasons.  One of the things that always interested me is the ethical dimension.  It seems that most people on the forums are more or less ok(myself included) with reps provided (1) the seller doesn't try to pawn it off as a gen and (2) the rep seller represents the watch accurately or at least as accurately as they can given that the sellers are intermediaries.  Neither of those criteria appear to be met with this particular seller on Etsy.  I reported the site, it will be interesting to see what happens.

BTW, I came back to RWG because I was interested in seeing how much reps have advanced and also possibly to buy a watch.  The difference in the quality of reps appears to be phenomenal but I'm too risk averse to buy one now. Thanks again to those of you who offered your advice on whether to report. 

• Like 1

thenightowl

The seller instructs buyers to reach out before buying so I did.  Right off the bat the seller acknowledged that the watches were "fake" claiming that they were 1:1 for a fraction of the price.  Trying to size up whether they were scam artists, I asked them to provide the particulars such as movements used, crystals and the type of steel.  The response was that the movements were stainless steel and the crystals were custom made.  A day or so later they asked if I was interested in buying.  I replied "Not really", I was hoping for more specifics on attributes of the watches".  The last reply was "our company's products are perfectly designed with stainless steel and Swiss movements"  I think it's clear what we're probably dealing with so earlier this week I reported them to Breitling, a thank you but we can't do anything, to Etsy, no response so far and to some Swiss Horological Group.  The Horological group thanked me but who knows if they will do anything.  I tried, hopefully at least the people on RWG know to be dubious of rep sellers on Etsy.

• Like 1

SteveA

Why did you feel the need to report fake watches when you are a member of a site dedicated to them ?

The mind boggles

• Like 1

thenightowl
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why did you feel the need to report fake watches when you are a member of a site dedicated to them ?

The mind boggles

If you actually read my previous posts, you would know why this is different.  As I already stated,  my problem isn't with the replica business in which the seller (ideally a trusted seller from this site) represents their product as a replica, accurately describes the product and then delivers that product to the buyer.  That doesn't appear to be what's happening here.  The seller lists the product as a rare find vintage watch, offers the enticement of a lower price and free shipping if you contact, the seller.  It is only when the buyer reaches out that the seller informs the buyer that the watch is a replica and that the low price and  free shipping are only available if you buy outside the Etsy platform. (Thereby foregoing any protection from Etsy).  The lower price would still be at the upper end of rep prices and should thus come with top quality.  When I asked about the quality the sellers response was no specifics and a kind of vague, "trust us, the watches are of the best quality".  To me that all seems to add up to exactly the kind of behaviour that sites like this one were designed to combat.  Do you see the situation differently?

SteveA

Sorry I still don’t get why it bothers you that much.Iam safe and happy here,but each to their own

thenightowl
4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Sorry I still don’t get why it bothers you that much.Iam safe and happy here,but each to their own

I came really close to getting ripped off pretty badly back in roughly 2007.  Fortunately I found a legitimate forum whose name I don't remember.  Not everyone is so fortunate and it really bothers me to see people get ripped.

SteveA

Commendable and as I say each to their own.If it stops one person from getting ripped off it can only be good