Sign in to follow this  
gB.

H factory 288k servicing/cleaning: common problem found

gB.

I recently had my H factory PAM288k fully cleaned and serviced by George in Texas (aka 14060 or 16610? Watch Repair over on RWI).  He is IMO the best when it comes to A7750/3 chrono movement servicing and repair.  My 288k was running okay, but a slight issue with slack in the setting gears.  I've read more posts than I can count though on here and the other forums of issues with brand new 288k's from the H factory, so I sent it to him preemptively to have it fully serviced and cleaned.  Here's some of the highlights below .  Note the item in bold which may be the primary issue with this production run and several posts related to the movement randomly stopping occasionally.

* The movement overall was fairly clean. Not a lot of dirt, though I did find some random fibers floating about. Nowhere near any moving parts, so overall it was low risk.

* The pivots were all oiled, but again there was a thick gooey oil circulating about. I traced it down to the mainspring barrel. I have been seeing more and more of these where somehow the assembler thinks it's a good idea to literally fill up the barrel with oil before installing it. The oil leaks out and goes where it shouldn't.  I was also horrified to find large metallic chunks and flakes inside your barrel. I'm surprised the watch didn't keep stopping on you.

* Your cannon clutch was soaked with the above-referenced barrel oil. I think this may have amplified the slack in your setting gears. It is clean now and will be properly lubed at assembly, but I still think you may need to set your time "backwards" to minimize any lag in time advancement.

* Your balance including hairspring look good.

DSCF1905-1.jpg

DSCF1906-1.jpg

DSCF1907-1.jpg

DSCF1908-1.jpg

DSCF1909-1.jpg

Glad I had this one serviced and cleaned, since it was a keeper for me.  While George is not the cheapest when it comes to movement servicing, he is absolutely the best for problematic A7750/3 chronos.  He takes pics of the entire breakdown, cleaning and reassembly, so you know you are getting what you pay for.  His RWI service page linky is below.

14060 or 16610? Watch Repair over on RWI   :lmao2:

:popcorn:  :D

houndoggie

he seems very anal... which is good.

sconehead

...so anal is good?

houndoggie

...so anal is good?

I wouldn't know. Ask Kinky.

sconehead

...so anal is good?

I wouldn't know. Ask Kinky.

OKE...

gB.

Indeed.

Anal retentive replica watch collector = bad

Anal retentive watchsmith / repairer = good

:lol:

Del

Very interesting GBOGH, thanks for posting. I really want to get my 288 serviced at some point, although sending to the US may not be the best option for me.

KeNnY

huhu chuck of steel with oil, hmmm :groucho: nice thanks for info GBOGH !

Member X

Texas...

Isn't that the place with the overly-strict customs? :)