Sign in to follow this  
Cynikal.Mindset

Immersion Goliath 300m Automatic

Cynikal.Mindset

Okay, last week I saw on eBay as part of the hot deals a Swiss powered watch made by some company called Immersion. This company is allegedly out Italy and have been in existence for 20years now.

The price these watches were going for was $139USD including free shipping and with the US dollar being in the dumps its always great to buy stuff you don't need at discount prices!

So, for $140 what do you get?

you get a Claro-Semag 888 Calibre movement (Swiss Made) See the wiki for more info HERE. On top of that you have your stainless steel case set with mineral crystal over the dial and some more mineral crystal in the display caseback.

It all comes in a cool pelican style water tight case with the company's logo on it...I was sold on the box alone when I saw the ad for it and everything else was icing on the cake.

The watch is BIG 53mm big to be exact but luckily its not super thick which would make it impossible to wear. Being such a big watch the bracelet is equally as large and I'm sure Andre the Giant coulda wore this thing that's how big the bracelet is. The bracelet also has a diver's extension built in to the clasp to fit over wet suit or full cold water survival suit or whatever you need it to fit over.

Enough blah blah blah....Picture time!!!!!!!!!!!

img1017d.jpg

img1015zo.jpg

img1013j.jpg

img1011m.jpg

img1010de.jpg

img1009ja.jpg

img1008ti.jpg

img1007c.jpg

img1006q.jpg

img1004gi.jpg

img1001k.jpg

img0999ig.jpg

In the end is it worth the money? I dunno...it has a 2yr warranty, rated to 300m, "Swiss" powered and comes in a cool box...I've spent more on worse...it feels well made but not $850 fake inflated MSRP well made, it keeps time and it glows like a torch...what more do you want for $140??

I'd buy it again!

houndoggie

Not bad at all

AustinTech

I think you found some real value there!

Very nice.

Dendo

$140 - this really brings into question a lot of rep prices.

ThinkBachs

FAKE! The gen movement has blue screws!:P

I really like it, a lot! This is on my shopping list for sure. Love the size, though I wish the logo was a little more refined/detailed/thinner/...... Other than that, very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing this find.

ThinkBachs

Yikes!

http://www.watchprojects.com/2010/10/27/cl...le-switzerland/

Claro watch, big trouble in little Switzerland

Posted on October 27th, 2010

It seems that Claro watch is having finacial difficulties. The company based in Bienne, Switzerland, called a staff meeting on Monday in their Bellinzona branch to let all 18 employees know about their immediate dismissal.

The director is reported to have packed his vehicle with watches before leaving, and the whole factory has been put under seal by the local police force. The local union has filed complaint, asking that the factory machines (estimated to be worth CHF 500,000) be seized and sold for cash to provide a severance for the 18 persons who are now unemployed.

Claro movementOwned by the von Burg family, Claro watch has become known on horological forums these past years for exploiting a loophole in the Swiss Made designation. Claro sources movement blanks from Asia and finishes them in Switzerland, which allows them to use and sell the resuulting calibres for assembly in Swiss Made watches. Their known customres are Zodiac, Jacques Leman and Migros.

Even though the practice is perfectly legal and does comply with all requirements of the Swiss Made designation, detractors consider it a form of cheating. With a few exception, most Swiss movements are usually designed and built from scratch in Switzerland, which obviously allows for lower margins than in Asia.

Not so long ago, TAG Heuer stirred a little bit of fuss on watch forums by being very coy about its recycling of a fine Seiko calibre. A lot of water has gone under the bridge and they have recently started selling watches with this calibre without any opposition.

No matter how much margin Claro managed to keep by outsourcing in Asia, it seems like it wasn’t enough to help them stay afloat.

Luthier

Swiss powered 21j?

Watch is nice, ofcourse.

Balad1

Balad likey, nice pick up.

Actually the case it came in made a little wet spot in my underwear...

Baldrick

Can't quite see the attraction, the case looks like stamped pot metal to me, with that typical shiny 'sand-blasted' look JMO :bcake:

mulder

I like it

Megalift

One hell of a lot of watch for the money - Great catch!

dave47

Okay, last week I saw on eBay as part of the hot deals a Swiss powered watch made by some company called Immersion. This company is allegedly out Italy and have been in existence for 20years now.

The price these watches were going for was $139USD including free shipping and with the US dollar being in the dumps its always great to buy stuff you don't need at discount prices!

BEAUTIFUL watch, mate! Reminds me of a Tudor Snowflake. It looks substantial and rugged. I'm going to have to check out this thing on the 'Bay. Thanks for the show! Great pics; wear it well -- and often.

dave

fletch1971

Thanks CM. I just ordered the silver dial version for $117.

I shall wait and see.