Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

What do the different price brackets mean?

tommylad

Hi,

I'm a new user so apologies if this is in the wrong section or is a very obvious question.

I'm looking at possibl buying a Patek Philippe replica (but not sure yet).

While browsing the various trusted dealers for replicas I have noticed that there seem to be two broad price brackets (one is $80-$90 and the other $200-$250).

I am wondering what the difference is between the cheaper and more expensive prices? How long can I expect the cheaper option to run for? Do they look comparable to the more expensive models? Is it worth paying the extra money for one and can I expect that to be a longish lasting watch?

Many thanks,

Tom

greg_r

The cheapies are, .... errr.... cheapies. It's hard to generalise, but whilst there are some decent watches around at the $100 region (occasionally even less), most quality reps are $200 and up. Not only will you get a superior movement (cheapies tend to be quartz or low-quality chinese 21J auto movements) but you're also going to get superior build quality and - in most cases - something thats a lot closer to the genuine article.

Cheapies might last you a year, they might last you 10 years, but sooner or later they're going to die and when they do, servicing is not really an option as there are no spares available for the cheaper auto movements. A replacement movement is sometimes an option provided there aren't too many complications involved. Conversely, a good quality rep running a swiss (or asian clone) movement should last as long as any gen if serviced when needed.

tommylad
The cheapies are, .... errr.... cheapies. It's hard to generalise, but whilst there are some decent watches around at the $100 region (occasionally even less), most quality reps are $200 and up. Not only will you get a superior movement (cheapies tend to be quartz or low-quality chinese 21J auto movements) but you're also going to get superior build quality and - in most cases - something thats a lot closer to the genuine article.

Cheapies might last you a year, they might last you 10 years, but sooner or later they're going to die and when they do, servicing is not really an option as there are no spares available for the cheaper auto movements. A replacement movement is sometimes an option provided there aren't too many complications involved. Conversely, a good quality rep running a swiss (or asian clone) movement should last as long as any gen if serviced when needed.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll bite the bullet and go for the more expensive option.