Sign in to follow this  
SB56667

Did I break my Molnija?

SB56667

Aaargh...so last night I decided to try putting a Molnija 3602 I've had sitting around into my 45mm Rad case.

I only had standard 6497 hands available, but thought if I coated the inside of the holes with clear gloss, I might make it fit. Initially, this seemed to work:

IMG_0510.jpg

I wound it a bit and they seemed to be working. But there was another problem: I suddenly couldn't set the time. :unsure: When I pull the stem out, the crown spins and the train of gears turns visibly, but the hands don't turn. Ditto when I put the original hands back on. Every few turns, there's a very slight catch, but nothing moves, then it spins again.

IMG_0514wnotes.jpg

Any ideas? :oops: I'd thoroughly tested the watch before, and the movement was in perfect working order. Can't this of anything I could have done that caused this problem.

houndoggie

You blew up the keyless works. I am famous for this. It is an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing (not I)

Drhulee

You may have put the gear that fell out back in the wrong way. Try taking the gear out again, then flipping it, and putting it back in.

Edited by Drhulee

SB56667

Aaargh! How did I blow up the keyless works? :oops: Didn't do a thing that I can remember other than removing the stem.

I think that gear that fell out only fits in one way, but I'll check again.

houndoggie
Aaargh! How did I blow up the keyless works? :oops: Didn't do a thing that I can remember other than removing the stem.

I think that gear that fell out only fits in one way, but I'll check again.

That's all it takes me to do it.

SB56667

Quick update: the good people at Homage Forum diagnosed that the canon pinion was sitting too high, which was visible when I removed the hour wheel:

IMG_0518.jpg

It was just a matter of applying careful, even pressure until the pinion clicked into place, then I was all set! Thank God for simple and cheap solutions -- at least every now and then! :)