Sign in to follow this  
tommylad

Service for a new watch?

tommylad

Hi guys,

I noticed on Robert's watches that he offers a pre-delivery service to make sure everything is in full working order. I have just bought a watch from Mary and as far as I'm aware there is no such service. Given that the watch cost $250 plus, will it need looking at when I get it or shall I just keep an eye on it and maybe get it serviced semi-regularly.

I've browsed the forum, but haven't been able to find out what most people do with their better reps.

Thanks for any help.

wat44

many approaches

1. dont worry, it will probably be ok

2. let it run till it dies, swap in a new movement

3. service it after a year, or some timeframe you are happy with

4. "splash" service at the start - this is a quick cheap service that cleans and lubes, but its not comparible with proper service

etc

wat movement does your watch have?

tommylad

All I've been told so far is a brand new Swiss Eta. So you think I'll be okay to just start using it straight away and then service it/ replace it when I need to?

tommylad

Sorry, have just understood that you mention a few options. Which would you personally recommend? Cheers.

wat44

if you have a watchmaker who can give it a look over for a reasonable price, I would personally do that for a watch I really liked

I have done this for a few of my favourite ones

however, for most of my watches, I just wear them

I am very easy on my things - I have so many watches, each one is lucky to be worn once a month - so the wear is very low!

MikeMcNair

there are many people on here that can do the afformentioned "splash" service for 25 buck plus return shipping. i know a guy in the US that could help :dingleberry-nemesis:

BUT, i have also found that mary's swiss movements come in GREAT shape, and personally, i put them on and wear them in the pool etc with ZERO issue. i wear the HELL out of my watches, and the two swiss ones i have from her have been perfectly water tight from the start with ZERO modification.

in otherwords, you could do it to be safe, or just wear it and enjoy it.

what watch and movement is it?

tommylad
there are many people on here that can do the afformentioned "splash" service for 25 buck plus return shipping. i know a guy in the US that could help :D

BUT, i have also found that mary's swiss movements come in GREAT shape, and personally, i put them on and wear them in the pool etc with ZERO issue. i wear the HELL out of my watches, and the two swiss ones i have from her have been perfectly water tight from the start with ZERO modification.

in otherwords, you could do it to be safe, or just wear it and enjoy it.

what watch and movement is it?

Hi Mike. It's a PP Calatrava but am not sure of the precise movement. New swiss eta is what I was told and a couple of people said it can be difficult for TDs to know the precise movement. I'm fairly sure it's a good one though.

I had a photo but the link isn't working. Luthier has speculated that it could be a Sellita SW-200-1.

many thanks.

Edited by tommylad

Silverspeed

It really depends on the watch. Normal, unmodified clone/ETA 2824/2836 or Selitta's I wouldn't bother with service....just wear them and if a problems arrises then have it serviced.

On the other hand it might be worth to have chrono movements like the A7750/A7753 pre-serviced. If these movements are dirty or dry it will cause problems much faster.

tommylad

I think I'll take some pictures when I get the watch and see what people think. I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks.

MikeMcNair
It really depends on the watch. Normal, unmodified clone/ETA 2824/2836 or Selitta's I wouldn't bother with service....just wear them and if a problems arrises then have it serviced.

On the other hand it might be worth to have chrono movements like the A7750/A7753 pre-serviced. If these movements are dirty or dry it will cause problems much faster.

x 1000000000!!!!!!!!

lets see some pix bro.

tommylad

I'll put Mary's QC pics up when I get home from work. It doesn't have the flip back that I wanted but it's a very good looking watch.

tommylad

Here are Mary's QC photos of my new Patek. Fingers crossed everyone can view them.

Hopefully i should have this some time next week. I wanted a very simple, classy looking dress watch and spent a bit more on a decent movement to try and ensure my first rep experience is a good one. It's a new Swiss eta movement (don't think Mary knew exactly which one). Maybe someone here can help out?

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h479/t...nt=IMG_6157.jpg

What do people think?

Tommy

omni

I got excited in no. 3 to see that those clever Chinese had finally gotten around to engraving the rotor with the brand name & logo, but went on to pic.no. 6 and was perplexed to see the rotor with normal stickers? Then upon closer inspection, its two different pictures of two different movements in two different watches (one gold and other silver case). Guess you will need to post up pics when you actually receive the watch. In order for the movement to be identified, the case back will need to be removed. You will not need this serviced unless you have a problem arise as Silverspeed said. I think it is a very classy looking Patek, Roman Numerals always spell class. You should be very happy with your purchase.

MikeMcNair
In order for the movement to be identified, the case back will need to be removed. You will not need this serviced unless you have a problem arise as Silverspeed said. I think it is a very classy looking Patek, Roman Numerals always spell class. You should be very happy with your purchase.

this looks VERY much like the 2836, but could be asian........

IMG_6159.jpg

tommylad
I got excited in no. 3 to see that those clever Chinese had finally gotten around to engraving the rotor with the brand name & logo, but went on to pic.no. 6 and was perplexed to see the rotor with normal stickers? Then upon closer inspection, its two different pictures of two different movements in two different watches (one gold and other silver case). Guess you will need to post up pics when you actually receive the watch. In order for the movement to be identified, the case back will need to be removed. You will not need this serviced unless you have a problem arise as Silverspeed said. I think it is a very classy looking Patek, Roman Numerals always spell class. You should be very happy with your purchase.

Haha. Looks like I uploaded 6 by mistake. That is definitely not the watch I'm getting. I'll post more up when get it but sounds like it's a decent movement from what people have said.

tommylad
In order for the movement to be identified, the case back will need to be removed. You will not need this serviced unless you have a problem arise as Silverspeed said. I think it is a very classy looking Patek, Roman Numerals always spell class. You should be very happy with your purchase.

IMG_6159.jpg

I was told it was Swiss and was under the impression that that's why I was paying a little more. I may need to check that out and work out how to remove the back.

tommylad

IMG_6159.jpg

Although having read this it sounds as if getting an Asian clone/ or some Asian parts is a common problem. So it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Movements

Edited by tommylad

MikeMcNair
I may need to check that out and work out how to remove the back.

small screwdriver bro, look at the case back. :lol:

if its gen swiss, there are tells, like the # of holes in the gears, the incablock, and this......

IMG_2328.jpg