Sign in to follow this  
dmcn

second hand catching on minute hand

dmcn

I recently bought a seamaster replica but the second hand catches on the minute hand when the minute hand is between ten past and twenty past (seems to happen more often when the hour hand is at 3, 4, or 5). I'm guessing the minute hand is bent up a little.... Is this an easy fix? Could I do it myself (having never opened a watch before)? I haven't seen any stickies of how to do this kind of thing, but if anyone can direct me to anything, that would be great! Thanks for your help!

Silverspeed

A relative easy fix...probaly the minute hand is not seated properly on the pinion, or the seconds hand is pointing downwards.

You'll need to uncase the movement and take a close look from the side to see which hand, minute or seconds is causing the problem.

In most cases you can use a toothpick and gently press the hand in the right position, after that check to see if the hands have even clearance.

dmcn
A relative easy fix...probaly the minute hand is not seated properly on the pinion, or the seconds hand is pointing downwards.

You'll need to uncase the movement and take a close look from the side to see which hand, minute or seconds is causing the problem.

In most cases you can use a toothpick and gently press the hand in the right position, after that check to see if the hands have even clearance.

Thanks for that Silverspeed! Would it be better to take off the bezel and then the glass or take off the back cover? Thanks again.

Member X

Different watches have different construction, but the crystal is usually pressed into the main case and only possible to push out from behind.

Best bet is probably to unscrew the back, remove the movement holder/tab screws, remove the stem and crown, then drop the movement and dial and hands out as one!

MikeMcNair
Different watches have different construction, but the crystal is usually pressed into the main case and only possible to push out from behind.

Best bet is probably to unscrew the back, remove the movement holder/tab screws, remove the stem and crown, then drop the movement and dial and hands out as one!

x2!!!

its easy, just look at it from the side and make sure they are all set at 12, and see if anything is touching (once movement is out.)

dmcn

x2!!!

its easy, just look at it from the side and make sure they are all set at 12, and see if anything is touching (once movement is out.)

Cool! And do you know whether I should try to open the caseback on the smp replica? Not sure how to do that... is there a tutprial somewhere? Thanks!