Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

POLL: RWG Watch Sales area

greg_r

This is a chance to have your say.

The immediate question is whether you'd like to see a sales area on here for homage watches. If the poll is in favour, this is something we can implement fairly quickly.

A secondary question is whether you'd like the same thing but for reps. This isn't an option right away, but we would consider moving the board to an offshore host early next year, which would make rep sales a viable option in the long term.

If you have any suggestions or arguments either way, feel free to add them to the thread. We'll leave this running until we get a clear indicator of what the majority want from the board.

Edit:

RESULTS

Poll now closed. Final Totals were:

Homages:

For Member Sales: 20

For Dealer Sales: 19

Against Sales: 10

Reps:

For Member Sales: 18

For Dealer Sales: 18

Against Sales: 12

If you have any further comments to make, please feel free to add them to the thread. We'll make a final decision within the next few days. Thanks for all the input!

alphakazi

for the few that may not know what Homages / Sterile / Replica watches are :

Replica is an exact clone (or as close as possible) to a genuine with the same logos and engravings - some are poor examples while others have Authorized dealers fooled (never bring a rep to an AD - rule #1)

Homages are very similar in design to a genuine but has its own company logos and engravings - a prime example of an Homage watch is Invicta brand - the designs can differ greatly or be quite close to gen

Sterile watches can be either an homage or replica but without ANY markings on it or very few but rarely of the original genuine brand name

People will buy homage and Sterile watches no matter what but it will be a great service to the community to have a specific place to buy/sell, review and discuss these types of watches

The sale of Replica watches are not permitted in this forums because of legal issues

Luthier

Replica is an exact clone (or as close as possible) to a genuine with the same logos and engravings - some are poor examples while others have Authorized dealers fooled (never bring a rep to an AD - rule #1)

Homages are very similar in design to a genuine but has its own company logos and engravings - a prime example of an Homage watch is Invicta brand - the designs can differ greatly or be quite close to gen

Sterile watches can be either an homage or replica but without ANY markings on it or very few but never of the original genuine brand

People will buy homage and Sterile watches no matter what but it will be a great service to the community to have a specific place to buy/sell, review and discuss these types of watches

The sale of Replica watches are not permitted in this forums because of legal issues

Homages and steriles are not replicas, and this forum is Rwg, where's R stands for REPLICA.

Simple like that.

Greg should go ahead with www.homagewatches.com

alphakazi

how did I know you would be a bugger Luth :D

Replicas can be made into either Homage or Sterile... put your name on one and call it a Luthierlux - presto - an homage.. now remove all logo's.... now your sterile - of course factories that make the low end stuff are probably making them specifically to be made homage or sterile but let's not confuse this until we have our own section, then we can battle it out

we already own http://www.homage-watches-guide.com but to setup another separate forum just for this one area is too much work and $ - we only need a section for this - I'd like to see homage-watch-guide.net point directly to the sub forum - something we are discussing now - which system will be most practical

Luthier
how did I know you would be a bugger Luth :D

Replicas can be made into either Homage or Sterile... put your name on one and call it a Luthierlux - presto - an homage.. now remove all logo's.... now your sterile - of course factories that make the low end stuff are probably making them specifically to be made homage or sterile but let's not confuse this until we have our own section, then we can battle it out

we already own homage-watch-guide.net but to setup another separate forum just for this one area is too much work and $ - we only need a section for this - I'd like to see homage-watch-guide.net point directly to the sub forum - something we are discussing now - which system will be most practical

You know nooooothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D ;)

If there would be MY name on the watch, it would be on the caseback of Limited edition of Rolex Master, designed by me, and trust me - it would be most beautiful Rolex ever. I'm maximalist, Alpha... on everything or nothing.

Dreams, dreams, dreams...

;)

greg_r

Sterile watches can be either an homage or replica but without ANY markings on it or very few but rarely of the original genuine brand name

Thanks Kazi - I knew I'd forgotten to do something...

greg_r
Homages and steriles are not replicas, and this forum is Rwg, where's R stands for REPLICA.

Simple like that.

Greg should go ahead with www.homagewatches.com

I already did. www.homage-watches-guide.com already exists and it points right here :D

I'm not about to start another forum - partly because it's far too much work, partly because it doubles our cost to little real benefit, and partly because I don't really want to split the membership into two. I think we'd end up shooting ourselves in the foot if we did that - both forums would suffer.

The theory is that HWG would have its own sub-section here. It wouldn't take over from reps (which remain my primary interest too, by the way), but would, I hope, provide some added value here. I fully expect reps (especially in the long term if we end up with a sales section) to be 80% or more of the traffic on the board, but none of the other boards (not even the gen boards) are covering homages well, so I figured 'why not? Assuming that you guys agree, of course.

Anyhow, thanks for the input, mate :D

alphakazi
I'm maximalist, Alpha... on everything or nothing.

this is why I like you Luth

and don't worry, I'm sure Mary will run for president

KinCaidk

I am not sure about this... I think it will ruin the forum.. just like it did the others.

I mean, we all know that Robert and Mary is a great dealers... And we know that these are the guys to ask if we need something.

I think however that a dedicated sales area members/dealers would not benefit this forum at all,.

If anything, it should only be in the supporters forum....

greg_r
I am not sure about this... I think it will ruin the forum.. just like it did the others.

I mean, we all know that Robert and Mary is a great dealers... And we know that these are the guys to ask if we need something.

I think however that a dedicated sales area members/dealers would not benefit this forum at all,.

It did occur to me that member sales might be supporters only... Still thinking about that one...

AllergyDoc

I voted no X 2 and echo Kinky's sentiments.

Luthier
I'm maximalist, Alpha... on everything or nothing.

this is why I like you Luth

and don't worry, I'm sure Mary will run for president

Being maximalist make my life a nightmare, Alpha. Not everyone can stand it.

"why the hell you're sooo hard to be with..." is the most common phrase I hear almost every day.

:lol:

KBH

Fuck those HOMO watches. This is a replica forum. I got nothing against selling/trading amongst the brothers here, but let's keep it what it's supposed to be.

Luthier
Fuck those HOMO watches. This is a replica forum. I got nothing against selling/trading amongst the brothers here, but let's keep it what it's supposed to be.

Bravo.

Heard the Man???

alphakazi

I can respect your point of view KBH, but to call Sterile watches "HOMO" watches? :lol:

one could argue that a replica IS the homo watch while the gen is a real mans watch

Want to be a real man? Buy a genuine watch - I'd call that nonsense because I'll buy each type and consider a watch..... just that, a watch. You have good ones and shitty ones. I don't consider spending $20,000 on a gen a very bright idea unless you have excess money, then it would be appropriate because you'll get much better quality. Not everyone has even $3-400 to spend on a good rep or for that matter even $150 of a shitty rep... and keep a variety - it's just a fucking watch ffs - what are you worried about, we talk more about boobs and useless crap than replicas 1/2 the time, how the fuck could a sub forum for Sterile watches possible hurt the forums :D Does that somehow stop people from talking about reps in anyway?

You should consider people who buy replicas and pawn them off as being real as the REAL homos! I can understand why this is being an issue but consider other people, there is a market for watches of good quality that will NOT be pawned off as a genuine - watches that are cheap enough to mod and fuck up with no real loss. Having this area would give our forums a niche and allow us to expand... the expansion would eventually lead us to buying new hosting and eventually doing the type of things the other fora do well - I'm tired of constantly linking to other forums because we can't do shit here - do we want to keep having people go elsewhere? As it stands, we are quite limited and I don't believe RWG needs to shadow other forums - in fact, I believe we need to expand - and it will benefit everyone - the hardcore rep collector as well as the "homo" that wants to buy a cheap $40 watch.

iabounty

I am here for the very best replica Rolex, Breitling, ect. I can buy for the least amount of money with the least amount of effort on my part... You people that threadcrap and wonder off topic are sick in the head Fred..... Thats what RepGeek is for.......

So I guess I am not interested in sterile or homo then...........

Thank you........

Luthier
I am here for the very best replica Rolex, Breitling, ect. I can buy for the least amount of money with the least amount of effort on my part... You people that threadcrap and wonder off topic are sick in the head Fred..... Thats what RepGeek is for.......

Thank you........

Did you vote???

iabounty

Thank you........

Did you vote???

No, not in the poll yet...

I always vote absentee..........

greg_r

KBH and others - I get where you're coming from, but the primary focus of this board is, and will remain, reps. No question. The homage thing may indeed fizzle - all I'm trying to do is gauge whether there's enough interest to get a little sales forum going.

It's interesting to see that whilst the majority (at least so far) are in favour, it's by no means an overwhelming majority. We'll let this run for a while longer and see where it goes.

... and IA, do please vote in the poll. I'd like everyone to have their say.

alphakazi

it is interesting to see how it's not a land slide - the vast majority of watch talk here is about reps and always will be (in fact, much more in the near future) but seeing how some of us are already discussing them in all the forums including GD, would it not be more in the interest of the naysayers to have it kept tidy in it's own box?

JohnG

+100

Looking at the voting, seems most want it, but most probably don't know the roots of this forum. I thought this was clear when we set up the forum - that there would be no sales area, just like in the old forum. It is all fine and good to have the membership vote on stuff, but some things should just be what they are - new members come and can quickly dilute the votes of those who were here from the beginning and had an understanding among themselves about the basic nature of the forum. In theory we could have a vote about whether to censor swear words too - and maybe the majority would want to do it, but that would be (just like a sales forum) the end of RWG1.1 (and RWG1) - this place was created NOT to imitate the other forums, but exactly the OPPOSITE. To offer a very different place. If people are not happy with that, there are THREE other forums to go sell their shit.

Can't say I am real happy about this. I thought this was asked and answered when the forum was set up. Why is it an issue again?

alphakazi
Can't say I am real happy about this. I thought this was asked and answered when the forum was set up. Why is it an issue again?

Holding a vote to ban swearing would be stupid...

Having a proper sub forum to review and discuss sterile and homage watches which is ALREADY being discussed... I find it ridicules that I'm even explaining this to you John, of all people. I'd thought you'd be in uniform, locked and loaded - wtf...

A sterile dealer area is not a far cry from the "trusted dealer" list we already have. It will be a list of trusted dealers with sub forums to discuss shit about - so Cust watches for eg. would get a sub forum - IF and i mean IF, they ever wanted to offer some special deal to our forum, they could post a little something in that forum - big deal... many don't even want to hear about these "homo" watches to begin with - we can make the sub forums NOT show up in the "new posts" so members could carry on as usual, IF you want to check out some sterile shit.... just mossy on down there and have a feast. Did you see that fat ass strap that came with greg's cust watch? Some felt it was worth the price of the watch - what was it like $50... the point being that shit will get LOST in the GD. More will want that info other than the like dozen members we have - I want noobs to join up and stay - be absorbed into the community - how many stick around, it's more than the witty tits and ass talk that makes them go elsewhere - there's no fucking content - we have a ton of hyperlinks to the geeks - what are we referers? Onze is one of the few that pop into my head that post random watch shit - actually you do as well - we just need more content for people to want to stick around for - let's not be too selfish to customize the forum for literally a handful and fuck everyone else cause I know you're gona say that too. We want new blood.

So you go to ebay to bid on shit, then come back and post about it.. then we all fucking talk about how good the deal was... then we buy more from that dealer... post pictures and talk about it again... others will read these remarks and buy the same bloody watch - IT'S THE SAME FUCKING THING!!! Only in a more organized manner that won't drive an admin to insanity trying to keep it well kept over god know how many years - this forum is still a little baby

This will prevent some noob logging in and asking - uh... where are you guys buying those watches... which one is best.... what's the address... and you want to keep answering like spam bot the same fucking answer over and over so it's been answered 100x over a few years - what a waste of time. Why not just have a little button beside the RWG trusted dealers list - boom - one shot and your in homage land - fully informed, all the info is kept in order, all the dealers we have good experience with, pictures, reviews - the type of shit an homage man like yourself can go into and beat yourself to death :) I know we are use to the tread crapping - personally it doesn't bother me but for the sake of the forum we only want to accommodate an interest and structure the data in an organized fashion.

Although rep sales are being considered for the distant future or near future if we decide we want.. this host would CAN us (we are already treading on thin ice as it is...), if everyone hates having our trusted dealers closer to us.. we won't do it - simple, we CAN'T do it with the current host anyhow so it's practically a non issue and more idea - the forums are for it's members - not one or even a few - are you suggesting we make a board of directors with the founding fathers? :) No - a simple pole to bounce ideas off is enough - we can't prevent new members coming on board... and when they do... do they mean less? does their voice not hold the same weight after 6mo. as an ole member of years? too much confusion and no real way to work for the members. Even though I'd like to see Rob and Mary setup shop in their own forum, if people get so bent out of shape about it, it wouldn't make sense and yes JOhn, you are a valued senior member - which is why I took your post heavily - disappointing to say the least and very confusing...

I can't recall a single valid point why we shouldn't have 1st) the homage/sterile stuff in it's own place and 2nd) trusted dealers in this trade among us or at least.. at the very least a trusted dealer list - I believe Cust should be 1st one on the list don't you agree? If the dealer doesn't like our loony bin attitude, fuck them and good bye - so don't worry about us having to somehow reform ourselves and walk around with our noses held high and speak with proper grammar

it's funny because nothing changes other than having a few extra sub forums - what is all this talk about "roots" and the founding fathers - let's not exaggerate and think this through is all I'm saying

We WILL NOT lose any roots - we will still be the same unmoderated section 8 loony toon bin we feel comfortable with and you can fucking say as you wish and do as you wish with only one exception - no replica sales

let's keep that homo talk in there instead of it spilling into every thread (homage thread crapping as someone called it) and I agree

This is keeping the forum tidy and easy on the admins to.. well, administrate

If people hated the fact that a forum has a dealers section, why are many of the RWG members also paid members over at other forums? Because they are great forums - simple - some of us have thousands of posts there - clearly you can't hate their system that much.... so when you consider everything we DO like about RWG and then add a few extra sub forums for the main purpose of review and discussions about them - come on.. nothing really changed at all - your project john? well you'd post it in there with all the other Homage projects and NOT mix them with the "best sub" reviews. (not that you've done that but you know what I mean)

NOTHING changes - if people really don't want a sales area, tell the audience why but let's at least make some sense here as to what we ARE doing. "I don't think I like this" doesn't cut it - what are you superstitious? feeling some evil energies among us? :)

I respect everyone's opinion as does greg and col. there is a ton of work that goes on behind the doors that doesn't get mentioned and why should it, every forum admin knows this and it is a pleasure really but we also know when certain things need to be accommodated and I can guarantee you this sterile watch shit is only going to become more popular - why crap it all over the rep forums - it's EXACTLY what you few that voted NO want isn't it?

to summarize my, no question, confusing rant... (no sleep.. bla bla... you know the drill)

1) make a main forum called Sterile and Homage Watches

2) in that forum have sub forums for things like a) projects B) reviews c) trusted dealers

3) dealers can post specials they may have or group buys in their own sub forum

and that's it... it's no biggy really

the poll was slightly confusing because of the words "help decide the future of the forums" :) whatever... we're discussing what it really means here and in truth it is kinda the future of the forums but not in a way some may have construed.

try not to get all combative and start the quote wars back and forth - we can argue over some other crap for fun - we actually want to solve this and move on to the next thing quickly - yes we have a few goodies in store for the VIP members only - which will be more fun than this.

[/rant]

KinCaidk

Alpha, what's up with all the talk about faeces?

:)

greg_r

It's an issue because several people have suggested that it might be a good idea. Col, Alpha and I are happy to go along with what the membership want. If it gets voted down, I just get an easier life, so I have NO problems if it's not wanted. :)

Homage sales are basically legal anyhow, so it's straightforward to implement if it comes to it. With our current hosting arrangements I wouldn't be willing to get into rep sales anyhow (which is the primary reason why I didn't offer it when we started up), but if we end up having to upgrade/move our hosting anyway (which, given our traffic, is likely to be the case in 6 months or so), then it could well be an option if you guys want it - any final decisions would necessarily have to depend on the hosts we end up with, though.

I'm not really trying to swing the argument either way. There's a part of me that would prefer to keep things simple - but I should probably point out that RWG1 did originally have a sales area, although it was discontinued well before you and I showed up.

Honestly, I appreciate your input, but don't know what the answer is. Whichever way we go, we're not going to please everyone. However, this forum isn't here for my own entertainment - it's here for all of us, so I feel that I have to go along with what the majority wants. If there's no clear winner, however, we'll stay as we are.

JohnG

Alpha, I am okay with lists of dealers, etc... even the homage subforum, but aren't we talking about a SALES FORUM here? Having dealers selling on the forum is NOT the same as going to eBay, coming back to share about it. As soon as there are dealers on here, there are members with an ECONOMIC interest in affecting board policies. I say keep $ out of the mix. You can't have controversy about self-serving admin and backroom deal making if there is no money being changed hands.

If the forum needs more money to function, I will kick in. You will too, so will others. We don't need to raise revenue like some other forums do. There are plenty of venues to buy, sell, so why do it here. TRUST ME, adding a sales forum will detract from the board more than it will add. Pretty soon we will have those fucking threads "I bought a watch from member JoeSchmoe and it doesn't work/didn't arrive/he doesn't answer emails/blah blah blah" - they will bitch here, to Greg, to YOU, to Col, there will be bad blood between members, all for what? So we don't have to open a second browswer window?

Again, lists of trusted dealers, homage sections, all cool with me. But if there is a sales forum there will be problems and it will DEFINITELY change the fundamental character of the board. That is one of the things that makes this board unique. Let the other boards deal with headaches, we just have fun, post links to other sales threads, because we help each other out. We are buds.

I am in AA - and AA is self-supporting, doesn't accept any outside money, all contributions are ONLY from members, and only what each feels comfortable giving. AA doesn't sell merchandise (just literature at a TINY markup to help pay for the central offices' expenses), and actively discourages any business dealings between members. They don't own property, every space AA occupies is rented (we don't even accept "free rent" so as not to be in debted to anybody). The point is, they discovered early on that mixing money into the forumula changed, degraged the nature and quality of the fellowship that existed there. Mark my words, if there is place on this forum that encourages the exchange of money and products between members, the same will happen here.