Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

POLL: RWG Watch Sales area

JohnG

BTW, how do we donate above and beyone the membership fee that we already paid? It's probably obvious, but I am not seeing it....

JohnG

Another thing, a good friend said to me, "we can make it as big as we want," but my question is, do we want BIG. Growth is fine, necessary even, but BIG? We need enough traffic to keep it fresh and fun, but I don't see the need to be like the other forums where you don't know two thirds of the dudes posting. We just picked up PDiddy and Houndoggie, PWC is here all the time now, a few others have shown up and are posting regularly, KinCaidk is our boy now, so is Austin Tech, there is a healthy rotation of members, but they are few enough that they become part of the place, just like the old forum.

Small is nice too. Nothing wrong with small.

KBH
Alpha, you convinced me. Sounds very logical.

And... you're right about bad blood will be spilled anyway...already does. I'm primary target for it. So, I know it well.

:P :lol::heffalump:

Luthier,

I hope when we argue about things political that you realize it's just forum talk. Sometimes it's Joeyb and me against you and Austin but it's not anything that I hope any of us will ever be upset about. We just have a difference of opinion, sometimes strong, and we're all trying to 'convert' the other.

No matter what is said here or any other Internet forum, it's gone as soon as I get out of my chair. Hope it is for you also.

Then again, you may be talking about something else all together.

And John,, I think you said there were 835 registered members. I for one can tell you that when RG went down it was the best thing that has happened here in months. Instead of logging on and seeing 10 new posts there were actually 30 or 40.

And another annoyance is those stupid post whore threads that you guys use to be Power Max. It's fine on RepGeek when it's one out of a thousand post , but to log on here and have 4 of the 10 active posts a "3 word story" bullshit post is nothing less than childish. Fortunately we're getting away from that lately.

I'm still for a sales area and I also think it should be very tightly controlled with a high post count and only available to paying supporters. I'm telling you, it's inevitable if you want to grow this place.

I've got an almost never used Omega SMP GMT from WBK that I need to move at a good price, by the way. Hint, hint..... :heffalump:

JohnG

We got a LITTLE overflow from RG. AT, but that was BEFORE the site went down, and we got Houndoggie. A few others. The BIG thing that happened at EXACTLY the same time was I got two watches from Getatwatch - I know because I still couldn't post the thread when the watch arrived (over at RG). That set off a Homage craze that extended to more than a dozen threads, all very active. I know because I posted at least half of them.

The other big thread at the time was the RG thread - in which WE speculated about what was "really" going on over there - didn't buy the DoS attack theory. That one got a lot of action, but from OUR members. Oh, and HK was here a lot at that time.

As to the three word story, that is not here, that is in the Bin. You mean the neverending word association thread. ONE THREAD. BIG FUCKING DEAL. And it is in OFF TOPIC.

This is not RG man, or haven't you figured it out yet. We do what the fuck we want here. First your fucking comments about banning me from this forum if I speak my mind in leech threads and now telling us what to post in Off Topic.

I think the other forums are more you speed - Big and growth oriented, sales forums, and strict rules and moderation. Great for those forums, but the antithesis of THIS forum. Sure, I post whored in the Word Association thread. I have also posted WAY FUCKING MORE watch threads here than you friend.

All I hear from you is bitching about what is wrong with this board - so why are you here man? Did you come over to save us from ourselves? Or just from JohnG?

alphakazi

a few points you brought up have been discussed and answered... expansion being the main idea

Small is nice sure - but bigger is always better!

your views are respected and appreciated but other members may enjoy a large forum with MUCH MORE going on. With a small group of regulars, you really can't do very much - as you said, more or less a place for a group to hang out and shoot the shit and use other forums resources for things we don't want to hassle ourselves with - no problems there but on the flip side - when you consider business or similar matters, the bigger the better.

I know... there are somethings that are better small but not a public forum where quality is measured by content - it's not the size of the forum that I think you're against but the "type" of forum it could become - Terra incognita

but we can mold things to accommodate as we progress - at least let's TRY it out - it's not like we're going to lose members :P - I know you'll be for most of the stuff save maybe one or two ideas like this.

but, Is it possible to have a large forum that JohnG would feel good about?

JohnG

a few points you brought up have been discussed and answered... expansion being the main idea

Why?

your views are respected and appreciated but other members may enjoy a large forum with MUCH MORE going on. With a small group of regulars, you really can't do very much - as you said, more or less a place for a group to hang out and shoot the shit and use other forums resources for things we don't want to hassle ourselves with - no problems there but on the flip side - when you consider business or similar matters, the bigger the better.

But this ISN'T A BUSINESS. You said that yourself. And what other members are agitating for this stuff - growth, sales forum, etc...? If I saw a bunch of the guys saying, we NEED TO GET BIGGER, or WE NEED A SALES FORUM, okay, but where is this coming from - I don't see people bitching about this issue, it is an issue because of this thread.

The thing that made this place (I mean the old forum that we all missed so much that we created this one) different was that it was smaller and had pretty much zero moderation. It was a place to hang out and shoot the shit. WHY does it now have to follow some fucking business plan and try to compete with the other forums?

I REALLY DON'T GET IT. We had a shared vision here. Go back and read the old threads when we started up, read the forum "rules" - I HAVE. It is clear what was intended and it WASN'T trying to emulate the bigger forums.

This place is MUCH more than not having a filter for vulgar language. It is comraderie and real friendship and yeah, shooting the shit, and even getting into fights and other drama. What is has never been, to my knowledge, is some sort of "business" that needs to "expand" like fucking McDonald's.

I can see this is going to happen, not my decision, but until the rules get changed I will speak my mind about it. This move is going to remove one of the KEY distinctions that sets this forum apart, and if anyone thinks it isn't going to be a change for the worse, they are deluding themselves. Time will prove me right. One day, people will wake up, and say, "what happened to RWG1.1?" And they will have only to look in the mirror to find the answer.

There really isn't much more to say, so that's it for me.

JoeyB
Alpha, you convinced me. Sounds very logical.

And... you're right about bad blood will be spilled anyway...already does. I'm primary target for it. So, I know it well.

:) :) :)

Who has made you a primary target, and why?

alphakazi
this ISN'T A BUSINESS. You said that yourself.

Really? I take it back then. We're providing a service with a goal to expand - every living creature on this planet has this basic instinctive drive - to get bigger, to get better, to evolve, become more advanced, to explore new life and new civilizations - the fact that this is non-profit doesn't change that - we are in essence like a business. Instead of cash profit, we want to earn new members and more quality posts, we want to expand our dealers and knowledge of the industry. You know the ole saying... two heads are better than one. 50 regular members will give more quality to a forum than a dozen - I know you CAN see the benefit and I can see for a fact, your pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

I really do see your angle John - trust me I do.. but I'm saying it's wrong. I know you fear changes to what you are fond of and that we must stay true to our "roots". This tells me you sense a possible change in board conduct - will JohnG eventually get banned for his obscene remarks and twisted humor? I have to tell you John, it's one of the most enjoyable parts for me personally. So, what's better than one JohnG? or are you also fearing another you to compete with?

As long as I have any say, we WILL remain true to RWG1.1's roots - but only the roots... even a tree want's to expand

Luthier

Only if it's boobs. And unless it's falling down up to the knees. :)

I prefer to be in the company of 10-15 really good friends, than in the huge facility with 100 of strangers.

We are family here, doesn't matter, that sometimes we barking on each other (KBH, I'm very ok, thanks), and intrusion of hundreds of strangers might ( I said - MIGHT!!!) destroy this family.

I visit other forums sometimes... no warm feelings between members there. So, I read a few posts, and close browser.

Home is home.

And I miss Demisgod...

greg_r

Wow.

Guys - firstly I want to thank every one of you for taking this seriously and contributing your opinions. John is right - if we are to do this, it will be a big move for us and I for one don't want it to change the 'flavour' of the board.

As Kazi said, IF we were to do it, we'd start with a members sales forum - sellers would have to be VIP/supporters with a minimum post count yet to be decided. There would be some fairly strict rules to govern sellers' behaviour (some of the sellers you see on other forums wouldn't last long here) and the threads would be open - in other words, if you see something not right, it would be 100% acceptable to say so in the sales thread. Likewise anybody selling watches often enough to look like a dealer would lose selling privileges.

We'd only move on to dealer sales if the member sales area works. Likewise, rep sales would be a ways down the line. If it doesn't work, there'd be nothing to stop us backing out of the whole deal.

I'll confess I'm still a little on the fence about this - whilst I'm broadly in favour of having watch sales here, I can see both sides of the argument; which is why we're letting this thread run for a while in order to get a sense of what the membership feels about the subject.

By the way, John - thanks for the offer of donations. When we get a bit closer to the point where we have to upgrade our hosting, we'll see how much there is in the kitty and shout for help if there's not enough. For now we have sufficient funding to keep this place going without problems. Thanks for the offer, though :)

KinCaidk
VIP members with a minimum post count of 200. I need to know who I am buying from or selling to.

Gotta take the bitter with the sweet. If something is not worth working for it's not worth having IMO...

Only if it's boobs. And unless it's falling down up to the knees. :)

I prefer to be in the company of 10-15 really good friends, than in the huge facility with 100 of strangers.

We are family here, doesn't matter, that sometimes we barking on each other (KBH, I'm very ok, thanks), and intrusion of hundreds of strangers might ( I said - MIGHT!!!) destroy this family.

I visit other forums sometimes... no warm feelings between members there. So, I read a few posts, and close browser.

Home is home.

And I miss Demisgod...

+1 billiooooooon

Actually I am not sure about this anymore. To start with I was 100% against sale sections of any kinds here.

Now I can see it from both sides. In my opinion the essentials of this, is not to be "just another rep forum"

There is 3 out there already, why does the world need another one?

I like it here cause of the madness, the simplicity, the no bull shit approach, the good guys here and the fact that we all know each other a bit deeper than just our screen name.

Make a sales section if the majority votes yes. I am quite ambivalent, as long as the "soul" of this board doesn't change!

Luthier
+1 billiooooooon

WOW... I'm a billionaire...

:)

prestigewatchco

I think having a selling area is great I can't wait for the seller to post something and be able to actually say what you think. As it is now on the other boards the members sales areas are a joke. With a little gang just bumping and posting stupid "Great watch" "Saw this at the GTG" I have an overwhelming desire to post "If it's so good and the seller is such a great person why the fuck have you not bought it then"

One thing is for sure if it was allowed to call a spade a spade in the members listings it would soon get known that tossers need not apply and would soon become a great source of good value for money items

Luthier
I think having a selling area is great I can't wait for the seller to post something and be able to actually say what you think. As it is now on the other boards the members sales areas are a joke. With a little gang just bumping and posting stupid "Great watch" "Saw this at the GTG" I have an overwhelming desire to post "If it's so good and the seller is such a great person why the fuck have you not bought it then"

One thing is for sure if it was allowed to call a spade a spade in the members listings it would soon get known that tossers need not apply and would soon become a great source of good value for money items

+1

JohnG
You know the ole saying... two heads are better than one.

They also say, "Three's company, four's a crowd."

:)

Okay, this is the way I see it playing out:

Greg eventually is won over by the Prosales crowd.

The board grows big.

The new comers want "civility" and there are more votes, they now vastly outnumber the old timers, the board changes and becomes "respectable" :)

Greg realizes his mistake but it is too late, board is ruined.

JohnG buys up the newly available url: relplica-watches-guide.com.

Greg and JohnG relaunch RWG1, the old farts abandon 1.1, there are now FOUR decent forums and one ANIMAL HOUSE of outcasts, and CHAOS REIGNS FOREVER BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something like that is where I see this going. :)

greg_r

lol@John.

If we ever get respectable, I'll be VERY disappointed in all of you. :)

alphakazi
The new comers want "civility" and there are more votes, they now vastly outnumber the old timers, the board changes and becomes "respectable" :)

I knew this was your issue the whole time... all that dancing around and it's exactly what I thought it was to begin with.

I can assure you John, that the day that happens, I'm out - I couldn't be more clear - the reason I enjoy burning my time here and now wanting to take it further investing more time and $ is because of the freedom - I hate rules in general. You want civility? join another forum... RWG1.1 code of conduct is written in stone and it has been since day 1, little will change. We've stated that countless times - this is one of the most difficult boards to get bant from... a lunatic would eventually find a ban hammer in this place by uttering death threats, or some noob trying to pawn off an $800 rep worth $300 etc... some craziness won't be tolerated. If everything you've ever posted was "ok".. then there is no longer an issue for you to be concerned about.

Maybe a detailed welcome message explaining our history would help noobs understand anything can happen at any time - you can talk your religion, politics, boobs, sheep and make as many 3 worded story threads as you please (although, I know that in itself will make some turn away) - there will never be those type of rules in here - some freak starts spamming our boards... well, geeze, that's an obvious one - so people can get bant and maybe there will be some other votes but I can assure you, it won't be a "let's make this place a romper-room and bring in the missus and kids" type vote

we only need some common sense, keep nudity in the bin, keep reviews in the appropriate section, etc.. or at least try... the admins will help as well by moving threads, etc... if we end up having dealer sub forums, let's not dirty their place up (unless it's that dealers review section - no holds barred :) ) - we have a GD, we have a bin and off topic, etc... we will try to organize things as best as we can with input from you guys.

I know your concerns probably remain somewhat... about how we say this now... but when we have a load of members, my voice won't mean shit... nonsense

I won't agree with any vote that puts unnecessary moderation on this forum - come on, even Luth gave in on this one - you're a tuff one

remember, Col, Greg and I may be admins but we are also members like you that are still here because we like things the way they are

I'm positive virtually every member that voted no, has done so thinking of the repercussions of dealers sales and NOT the actual dealer sales themselves. People will like having dealers closer to home and I believe the dealers will go that extra mile for the forum members... This can done right - you in? I need you on this side of the fence supporting us. If not, when we make a mistake, you'll be all up in it saying "SEE, I told you so.. etc. etc.." - naw, that's not cool - we need your support - it's more motivating to work on something when people will enjoy it.

KBH
This is not RG man, or haven't you figured it out yet. We do what the fuck we want here. First your fucking comments about banning me from this forum if I speak my mind in leech threads and now telling us what to post in Off Topic.

I think the other forums are more you speed - Big and growth oriented, sales forums, and strict rules and moderation. Great for those forums, but the antithesis of THIS forum. Sure, I post whored in the Word Association thread. I have also posted WAY FUCKING MORE watch threads here than you friend.

All I hear from you is bitching about what is wrong with this board - so why are you here man? Did you come over to save us from ourselves? Or just from JohnG?

Getting a little upset here John? First let me assure you that if I didn't care I wouldn't have gone back and read this whole thread for the second time. This was my favorite board originally before it went down. I certainly think I've contributed more than just "bitching about what is wrong with this board".

My comment about you should be banned if you decide to thread crap all over other peoples posts still stands. If you want to be the like Fakey, you should get the same treatment. Your comment about thread crapping on anybody that you disagree with is just plain wrong.

I understand that you like to be the big fish in the small pond. I, on the other hand, don't mind swimming with a few sharks and barracudas. It make life more interesting.

And lastly, I don't think that in any way I have just been "bitching about what's wrong with this board".

I may not post post near as much as you but the percentage of my posts that are either on topic or about watches is at least as high as your.

Let's just agree to disagree and hold off on the personal attacks.

JohnG
I knew this was your issue the whole time... all that dancing around and it's exactly what I thought it was to begin with.

I is not "my issue" - it is AN issue, one that concerns me. If the forum grows as your stated goal is that it should, then this will be a problem. If the "membership" decides issues of importance and the membership changes radically then the "rules" will change, there can be no disputing this.

My original objection however, remains my greatest. There is no need for a trade forum, there are plenty of venues for buying and selling, and sales on the forum, other than new members (of dubious worth) will only bring opportunities for problems and bad feelings and more work for the administrators. Now the work issue is obviously your guys' concern, but the other, the commercial nature of a selling venue, is everyone's concern.

Go play a game of poker for cigarrettes and then go play for money - real money. See which game is friendlier. Nothing wrong with a serious poker game, but when friends start adding money issues to their relationships, it is rare that any good comes of it. Where there is money there is politics, intrigue, petty bickering, resentment, disappointment, envy, and on and on. Money is an evil - a necessary evil, yes, at times, but given that there are three other forums, it is not necessary here.

That's the way I see it, I am not going to change my mind. AA has shown me the wisdom in minimizing as much as humanly possible monetary concerns from a fellowship. I DON'T view this as a business, I view this as a fellowship.

And if the decision to add a sales venue is taken, I PRAY that I am totally wrong about all this. I don't want to be saying, "I told you so" in six or twelve months, believe me.

So can I start posting watches?

greg_r
So can I start posting watches?

You can post some to me - I've only got three on the way at the moment and Houndoggie is leaving me way behind... :thumbsup:

KBH

Damn Greg. I thought you were off the crack this month.

alphakazi

*2 ships passing in the night*

yep, that's as close as Ima get you John to agree with me - so I'll take it

regarding the poker analogy, I think you may have played at the wrong table bud :thumbsup: that sounded like one nasty game of poker

as for posting watches, I believe greg wanted to let this thread ride a bit more - someone may chime in with a new view on it

you can see there has been 24 votes and currently the majority are in favor.. it was no landslide as I imagined it would be but then again, I don't think everyone had a perfect grasp of what the intention was.

let's wait a bit longer and when greg get's a chance, he'll add the new RWG VIP Sales section (no replica's of course)

It was suggested that a VIP member wanting to participate would need a minimum of 200 posts if not more (I believe that was bounty's idea and a good one). This gives us a chance to check the new guy out. I probably wouldn't buy from a new guy with 200 posts anyhow... cavet emptor as always. I like the idea of having a return policy with NO questions asked - this will eliminate arguments about "you said I said..." if you don't want the watch after a day or two for whatever reason - doesn't fit, something not working right... whatever.. they can get a full refund less shipping -to get your $$ back you'd have to pay shipping twice.. I don't think we'll see many returns but if we make this a condition for any sale... it would virtually eliminate the arguments - don't like the idea of giving the $ back... no problem... there are many places to sell an homage.

trailboss99

200 quality posts, not one word crap mind you.

Col.

JohnG

Should be only POWERMAX can sell.

Me, Onze, won't sell. IA doesn't own any watches I think. TB, Alpha, they are POWERMINIMUM, so I guess that leaves Greg and that other guy....

Okay, put up the forum, no biggie.

JoeyB
...will only bring opportunities for problems and bad feelings and more work for the administrators.

"that other guy" agrees.